Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Venom

Spidey10

As you can probably tell by my username and avatar, I'm a Spider-Man fan. He's been my hero since I was a toddler. And one of the many reasons why I love Spidey is becasue of his rogue's gallery (Along with Batman, he has the best one). And with this post I'll be discussing my personal favorite villain of his (Who eventually became one of my favorite anti heroes), Venom.

resized_272427-venom-first-1005_32-25189

My first introduction to the character was when my mother gave me a DVD called Spider-Man The Venom Saga that contained all of the Venom focused episodes of the 90's Spider-Man cartoon. In that version, we see that Eddie Brock (Voiced by Hank Azaria actually) is a journalist who really hates Spider-Man and blames him for all of his problems and mistakes and lies about Spider-Man stealing an important rock from a crashed space shuttle. Eventually though, the truth comes out and he's fired and humiliated. Meanwhile, that rock contained a black alien symbiotie that bonded to Peter Parker/Spider-Man and increased his powers and gave him some new ones, but it also started to really change who he was and make him more aggressive and violent. He soon gets rid of it thanks to the loud sounds of a church bell, but the alien then bonds with Brock and turns him into a big, strong, monstrous looking creature. The symbiote also gives Eddie all of Spider-Man's knowledge and secrets and soon they dub themselves as Venom and try to torture Peter/Spidey as revenge.

Venom-in-Spider-Man-The-Animated-Series.

Why is Venom my favorite Spidey foe? Well besides the fact that he has one of the coolest designs I've ever seen, I think it's because of how truly dangerous he can be. Not only does he have similar powers to Spider-Man, he is stronger, he can bypass the Spider Sense, and he's one of the few villains who knows that Peter Parker and Spider-Man are one and the same. He knows all of Peter/Spidey's secrets and all the people he cares about. I also like how he has a dark, sadistic, and just sometimes weird sense of humor.

amazing-spider-man-374-1126888.jpeg

But Venom isn't just a villain though. During the 90's he became more of an anti hero for awhile starting with Lethal Protector (Messy but fun 90's story) and continuing in Venom stories since (Including the 2018 Tom Hardy solo film) and I enjoy that as well. Even when he was a villain, he was never a complete and irredeemable psychopath (Other than maybe the Ultimate Comics version and Topher Grace's version from Spider-Man 3). He would sometimes protect innocent people or people he still cared about. He's still far from a goodie two shoes, but he can still deliver justice (Or at least his view of justice).

51-oqiQwEhL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

There have been other characters besides Eddie Brock to bond with the symbiote and become Venom like Anne Weying (She-Venom) Mac Gargan (Scorpion), and Flash Thompson (He was known as Agent Venom), but to me there is only true Venom. It's Eddie Brock and the alien symbiote together. I find the character of Eddie Brock interesting on his own and then when you give him this living black goo that he bonds with (And sometimes clashes with), you can have some entertaining stuff.

57_c51bc49d-5ee6-4f65-be4d-410991b76fbc_

After fighting Spider-Man a few times, Venom then got another archenemy when serial killer Cletus Kasady and the symbiote's red offspring bonded and became the monster known as Carnage. I mentioned earlier how Eddie/Venom still had some good traits even as a villain. That's not the case with Cletus/Carnage. He is just pure evil who wants to kill many men, women, children, and animals just because he enjoys it. No remorse at all.

571901._SX1600_QL80_TTD_.jpg

So this was my Venom appreciation post I guess. If you are interested in Venom lore and want to learn about it, you can buy a lot of the stories in trade paperback collections on Amazon like Birth Of Venom, Carnage Classic, Lethal Protector, Planet Of The Symbiotes, Maximum Carnage, etc. And you can also check out The Venom Vlog on Youtube by Siike Donnelly. It's a show that covers Venom stories and adaptations from the past and new Venom content like comics, cartoons, and the films by Sony. I've been subscribed to his channel since December 2017 shortly after the show got started. Siike is a cool guy and you can tell he has a lot of passion for the Spider-Man/Venom lore, but he also isn't afraid to criticize a Venom story if he doesn't think it's good (Cough Cough Ultimate Venom and Carnage).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRuOJvaaDXG6xE6GhIOaVjw

VVart.jpg?resize=575,1024

What do you guys think of Venom (And other symbiote characters)? What's your favorite Venom story and adaptation? Comment and let me know and thanks for reading. #WeAreVenom

LikableNeedyIggypops-size_restricted.gif

• Brohoof 1

I think Venom is a pretty cool character, but I don’t really follow the comics. My only real exposure to this character is through the Spider-Man animated series, video games(Maximum Carnage and MvC), and the films. 

One of my favorite Spiderman characters, especially from the 90s cartoon which was my first time seeing him. I like him best when he's the a goofy anti-hero.

On that tangent, I really hate how disrespected he's been in the film he's appeared in

I have always liked the time Peter Parker woke up as the black Spider-Man, and the amount of time he was using it as a normal hero, before he noticed it was bad for him. he was super strong, and crushed all his villains, and they hated him for it. And I loved it!

Now, Venom is just too mutant for me, the design is so all over the place. A cool villain for sure!

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Megas said:

One of my favorite Spiderman characters, especially from the 90s cartoon which was my first time seeing him. I like him best when he's the a goofy anti-hero.

On that tangent, I really hate how disrespected he's been in the film he's appeared in

I thought the Venom movie was pretty fun. Not perfect obviously, but I thought it captured the spirit of the character well and you could tell Hardy was having fun making it. 

I am not very knowledgeable in the realm of superheroes but I have always loved Venom. His design is so badass!

• Brohoof 2

I must say, Spider-Man has a way to recreate story scenarios that feel fresh and new, and still, you will know everything about them already (since you have seen them before). Venom is just like that, always new, but you know what will happen. You expect it to happen. And you accept it when it happens.

• 2 weeks later...

I quite like the Venom comics I've read, and the standalone Venom film with Tom Hardy was fun. His animated appearances somehow manage to make his character work without watering him down so much for kids TV that he feels far inferior to his edgier comic and movie self.

I just don't like him so much in Spider-Man 3 because I think they milk the "Eddie wants revenge" plot line in a way that's not even believable.

• 1 year later...

My only real exposure to this character is through the spectacular spider man and the Spider-Man animated series, video games (Maximum Carnage and MvC), and the films. 

and also, Spider man 3 Version of Venom

(Gosh I feel old), 

Since Rainbow Venom is a composite of two of my favorited character (venom and Rainbow dash)

Venom Rainbow Dash Spider-Man Twilight Sparkle Pony, venom, mammal,  carnivoran, dog Like Mammal png | PNGWing

Edited by Scootaloo9074090