Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Private Pilot's License (Have?/Want?/Getting?)

Cirrus.

So since I was about 10, I've thought about getting a pilot's license.

I've always liked driving and operating vehicles/machinery such as cars, boats, jet-skis, snowmobiles, forklifts, and some construction equipment. I want to finally move up in the world (Literally :laugh:)

I've started seriously checking out what's involved recently. It looks like it'll cost around $8-$10K around here although I don't really know over what length of time.

Being a pilot, you have to be extremely on top of things and have way more to communicate, concentrate on, and think about compared to driving on the road. Consequences for errors have a much higher chance of being deadly for you and for others.

If things don't go completely down the toilet after this coronavirus crap, I should be able to finally take some equity out of my house and get started. (I am currently working and even if there is a recession should still be business as usual. My place of work seems to have made it in time to get one of the Federal payroll loans that can be forgiven, to make up for the slightly reduced business and whatever might be ahead)

My dad's cousin (who I don't know aside from meeting him once or twice) was a commercial pilot, so I may see what he has for advice too.

I'm in no rush to actually own a plane since it would be just a hobby, and it seems like you can just book time and rent by the hour from what I've seen.

cessna.jpg.85df35353759da580bc15661dbab3474.jpg

Eventually I would probably get a used Cessna 172 or 182. I like the Instrument panel layout and the wings being above the cockpit. That's a ways off though and is expensive and CAN NOT be neglected maintenance wise.

So do any of you guys have a pilot's license? Or is anyone training for, or want to eventually get one?

paraglide.png.849fd405def74a37f4bf0f99a01d7ed4.png

I also have NO interest in a mickey-mouse thing like a paraglider. The same reason why I got a Camaro over a motorcycle.

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 4

I have hopes to get one in the future. I've wanted to fly since I was 8 years old. :sassy: I just had an obsession with planes back then, and still do in a sense. I would like to wait until after I graduate college and have a good steady income, also when I'm settled down a bit and have more time on my hands. 

• Brohoof 2

OwO

I’m a private pilot, working towards other ratings now. Indeed I would save about $8-10K before starting. There will be a lot of initial costs (mostly training materials, a headset, etc). Unless you’re really rich, don’t pay as you go. 2-3 lessons a week is good. I’d also get a home flight simulator to practice procedures and maneuvers (FS2004 or X-plane). I can go on but I’m tired of writing :bedeyes: .

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

1 hour ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I have hopes to get one in the future. I've wanted to fly since I was 8 years old. :sassy: I just had an obsession with planes back then, and still do in a sense. I would like to wait until after I graduate college and have a good steady income, also when I'm settled down a bit and have more time on my hands. 

I've never had a specific like for planes, in fact I've only ever been on a seaplane once back in '04. I've never been on a commercial airliner but the idea of them makes me nervous. Crashes due to half-assed or improper maintenance practices/shortcuts REALLY disturb me (a lot of times leaving the pilot not able to do anything).:mlp_confused:

I've watched a lot of videos about investigation summaries of industrial disasters and air crashes. It's scary how many disasters happen from complete stupidity/ignorance or carelessness/cheapness. Notice I say disasters NOT accidents.

Don't even get me started on coronavirus :glimmer:Mark my words. It is similar to Chernobyl + add on the maliciousness of China CLOSING THEIR DOMESTIC BORDERS TO AND FROM WUHAN but STILL ALLOWING INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL to "LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD." aka- If I fall you're going down with me. China's gov't isn't ANYONES friend. They knew they were screwed and what they were dealing with. I'm sure their death toll is also much higher than what they say.

...ANYWAY, I want to learn to fly a plane more for the challenge of it I guess. The idea of operating something more complicated with more responsibility/possible consequences is appealing.

I don't make a lot, but I have some assets and my income is steady. I feel safe to assume it'll stay so even through the aftermath of this virus crap. I'm working on getting an apprenticeship as a commercial electrician. (The process of which I wish I would have known more about years ago vs. my time in college) But that has been is going SLOW.:mlp_okiedokieloki:  That may be a blessing in disguise though, because getting work assignments there will probably be not so good for a while due to the virus' effect on businesses. I don't see changing jobs for a while, but I want to do something I've wanted to do for a while already. I'm sure "flight school" it will make me feel less "stuck" also.

1 hour ago, WWolf said:

OwO

I’m a private pilot, working towards other ratings now. Indeed I would save about $8-10K before starting. There will be a lot of initial costs (mostly training materials, a headset, etc). Unless you’re really rich, don’t pay as you go. 2-3 lessons a week is good. I’d also get a home flight simulator to practice procedures and maneuvers (FS2004 or X-plane). I can go on but I’m tired of writing :bedeyes: .

If you're in the US, how long a period of time do you think it can be stretched over to get private license, just VFR? I'm not in any rush to race through the process. That way I won't have to pay as much as quickly.

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Cirrus. said:

I've never had a specific like for planes, in fact I've only ever been on a seaplane once back in '04. I've never been on a commercial airliner but the idea of them makes me nervous. Crashes due to half-assed or improper maintenance practices/shortcuts REALLY disturb me (a lot of times leaving the pilot not able to do anything).:mlp_confused:

I've watched a lot of videos about investigation summaries of industrial disasters and air crashes. It's scary how many disasters happen from complete stupidity/ignorance or carelessness/cheapness. Notice I say disasters NOT accidents.

Don't even get me started on coronavirus :glimmer:Mark my words. It is similar to Chernobyl + add on the maliciousness of China CLOSING THEIR DOMESTIC BORDERS TO AND FROM WUHAN but STILL ALLOWING INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL to "LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD." aka- If I fall you're going down with me. China's gov't isn't ANYONES friend. They knew they were screwed and what they were dealing with. I'm sure their death tool is also much higher than what they say.

...ANYWAY, I want to learn to fly a plane more for the challenge of it I guess. The idea of operating something more complicated with more responsibility/possible consequences is appealing.

I don't make a lot, but I have some assets and my income is steady.  I feel safe to assume it will stay so even through the aftermath of this virus crap. I'm working on getting an apprenticeship as a commercial electrician. (The process of which I wish I would have known more about years ago vs. my time in college) But that has been is going SLOW.:mlp_okiedokieloki:  That may be a blessing in disguise though, because getting work assignments there will probably be not so good for a while due to the virus' effect on businesses. I don't see changing jobs for a while, but I want to do something I've wanted to do for a while already. I'm sure "flight school" it will make me feel less "stuck" also.

If you're in the US, how long a period of time do you think it can be stretched over to get private license, just VFR? I'm not in any rush to race through the process. That way I won't have to pay as much as quickly.

Yup, US. Average time if doing a few lessons a week is about 6-8 months, minimum 40 hours for the license (though it may end up taking 50-60 hours). The more often you fly the better...

Also flying with airlines in the US is unrealistically safe (only one fatality in the period of 2009-2018). GA is about as safe/dangerous as driving, but you have much more control over your own safety.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
19 minutes ago, WWolf said:

Yup, US. Average time if doing a few lessons a week is about 6-8 months, minimum 40 hours for the license (though it may end up taking 50-60 hours). The more often you fly the better...

Also flying with airlines in the US is unrealistically safe (only one fatality in the period of 2009-2018). GA is about as safe/dangerous as driving, but you have much more control over your own safety.

I know statistically US commercial air travel is very safe, but I know I'd be very uncomfortable and unreasonably anxious/nervous the whole time.

I'd just be sitting there like... :blink: in a tin can with all the other sardines...:confused: And you can't even see out the front window.:(

With GA- doing the pre-flight checklist on something like a Cessna myself WITH MY OWN EYES would give me more piece of mind.

If something does go wrong at least I can try to deal with the situation instead of my final thoughts being out of the 90's song "Ironic" by Alanis Morissette. ^_^

"He waited his whole damn life to take that flight

And as the plane crashed down he thought

"Well isn't this nice..."

And isn't it ironic... don't you think"

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Cirrus. said:

I know statistically US commercial air travel is very safe, but I know I'd be very uncomfortable and unreasonably anxious/nervous the whole time.

I'd just be sitting there like... :blink: in a tin can with all the other sardines...:confused: And you can't even see out the front window.:(

With GA- doing the pre-flight checklist on something like a Cessna myself WITH MY OWN EYES would give me more piece of mind.

If something does go wrong at least I can try to deal with the situation instead of my final thoughts being out of the 90's song "Ironic" by Alanis Morissette

"He waited his whole damn life to take that flight

And as the plane crashed down he thought

"Well isn't this nice..."

And isn't it ironic... don't you think"^_^

Front window in an airliner is priceless. I get a bit peeved when people propose putting the pilots in a room somewhere else in the plane with cameras to see outside and selling the would-be cockpit seats at a premium for passengers.... 

And yes I can relate. I've gotten nervous sometimes when I see something hasn't been done yet when in an airliner (flaps not going down yet on taxi (they were actually getting deicing)), taking off with a tailwind when heavy and high-density. A lot of stuff that has happened in the past.... can still happen now. Just takes one deviation from cockpit procedures or getting complacent.

Oooh lol I like that song. IT'S LIKE REIIIIAAAAAAAAAIN ON YOUR WEDDAINNNNN DEIGHH

Edited by WWolf
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Haha I forgot to mention

Would I want to fly or ride in Helicopters?...HELL NO!! By design they seem like a terrible idea.

I always go to thinking that if you do survive a crash, CONGRATULATIONS YOU GET TO BE CHOPPED UP NOW!:P:umad:

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

I used to take lessons then stopped.  Might or might not get back into it one day.  Just depends.  

Don’t think I can right now while I’m taking the meds I’m currently on.

1 minute ago, Cirrus. said:

Would I want to fly or ride in Helicopters...HELL NO!! By design they seem like a terrible idea.

Aww man but one of the funnest rides I’ve ever had was on a helicopter!

I understand the fear, though.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
45 minutes ago, AppleButt said:

I used to take lessons then stopped.  Might or might not get back into it one day.  Just depends.  

Don’t think I can right now while I’m taking the meds I’m currently on.

Aww man but one of the funnest rides I’ve ever had was on a helicopter!

I understand the fear, though.

I was a little extreme there I guess. I would go on a short ride or tour, but I wouldn't want to make it a regular thing. If that engine or tail rotor goes out, it's pretty much game over. They also don't "glide" very well...

Helicopters are an excellent tool for rescue (which was the inventor's vision for them) due to their capabilities, in a lot of those cases there's nothing else for the task.

I don't know, they just seem too squirrelly and unforgiving to me. And when they fail, it's usually chaos. It's just how they work that makes me nervous- giant lawnmower blades.:sealed:

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Cirrus. said:

I was a little extreme there I guess. I would go on a short ride or tour, but I wouldn't want to make it a regular thing. If that engine or tail rotor goes out, it's pretty much game over. They also don't "glide" very well...

I don't know, they just seem to be too squirrelly for me. 

No, it’s completely understandable!

Airplanes are a bit more forgiving when it comes to engine trouble. 

• Brohoof 3

I had planned on getting it, expensive though say 15.000 usd while it is not the money it is more that I don't really have the free time for it. Mostly as I have other things on my to do list, that said I have wanted to fly helicopters since I was a kid so I don't see any reason not to get it. Talking to a former pilot got me interested in doing it again, since who doesn't like flying I mean I know I do.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think I see a reason for getting one, especially the time it takes to learn. I usually need an excuse to get something expensive. I don't even need a driver's license currently, so. But I would choose to drive a helicopter if I had to, since i want to be able to land anywhere I want (or crash fast)

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

I don't think I see a reason for getting one, especially the time it takes to learn. I usually need an excuse to get something expensive. I don't even need a driver's license currently, so. But I would choose to drive a helicopter if I had to, since i want to be able to land anywhere I want (or crash fast)

Going from not even needing a driver's license, to expensive flight training for an expensive form of transportation definitely wouldn't make sense for you. :laugh:

The learning part isn't something that bothers me. I already know what the flight control surfaces are/do and most of the instruments. It's the rules/procedures that I KNOW I need to learn. If you mess up on them, it's pretty likely that you're not getting a ticket, you're getting dead.:umad:

For most people it's way more convenient and economical to just buy a ticket if they need to fly somewhere. I'm sure there's a lot of people who wouldn't want anything to do with flying a plane either. There's way more to worry about in flying than driving for sure.

I don't even want to get a pilot's license to particularly go anywhere, but just to fly for the sake of flying a plane once in a while. It's definitely not a need in my case. I bought my house planning to get some equity to do stuff, since my mortgage barely more than a decent apartment in the area. I think at this point getting the license is a goal I've had that I can finally actually accomplish.

• Brohoof 2

I wanted to fly for a while, but didn't have money for the lessons. However, now that I do have some money, I am thinking of getting a license for light sport aircraft. Well, probably, assuming the virus does not screw up my plans and I do not get airsick in the light airplane in calm weather.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
37 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

I wanted to fly for a while, but didn't have money for the lessons. However, now that I do have some money, I am thinking of getting a license for light sport aircraft. Well, probably, assuming the virus does not screw up my plans and I do not get airsick in the light airplane in calm weather.

Same here- but I just recently found out HOW expensive it actually is.:dry:

Option B was to maybe start dating, but I think this would be better for my overall well being based on what all is going on in my life at the moment. LOL- Actually now that I think of it- it may be a plus for that in the future. :laugh:

I definitely don't like the price, but hey- it probably keeps less serious people out of the skies.

I figure I should go for it since at 31 I already have important necessities in life like a house and car, etc taken care of in MY OWN name.

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, Cirrus. said:

Same here- but I just found out HOW expensive it actually is.:dry:

PPL is expensive, light sport looks like half the price (which is still a lot, but not THAT much) and it seems that the airplanes themselves are cheaper to rent etc.

But it seems like flying would be fun, so maybe I should just go for it.

A bit unrelated (but still an expensive, but fun thing to do) - last year I went to Poland and got to drive a steam locomotive (drive it on one trip, shovel coal on the next etc). That was expensive, but really fun and flying is much cheaper (after you get the license) than that.

• Brohoof 2

47 minutes ago, Cirrus. said:

For most people it's way more convenient and economical to just buy a ticket if they need to fly somewhere. I'm sure there's a lot of people who wouldn't want anything to do with flying a plane either. There's way more to worry about in flying than driving for sure.

Actually assuming one rents a plane, if a C172 has all 4 seats occupied and is flown from say Austin to Houston, it’s about an hour and a half operating cost. At a $140 an hour with tax, the trip is roughly just $35 per person. Much cheaper than airlines (they’d charge you a lot more if you didn’t book far in advantage and fares are seldom below $50). It’s all about how those costs are spread.

It’s also pretty practical for traveling intermediate distances quick where there doesn’t exist airline flights, or you have to connect and lose the time savings. (A 5-hour drive to the beach could be done in an hour and a half from here). Pricier year, but not a bad value.

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

PPL is expensive, light sport looks like half the price (which is still a lot, but not THAT much) and it seems that the airplanes themselves are cheaper to rent etc.

But it seems like flying would be fun, so maybe I should just go for it.

A bit unrelated (but still an expensive, but fun thing to do) - last year I went to Poland and got to drive a steam locomotive (drive it on one trip, shovel coal on the next etc). That was expensive, but really fun and flying is much cheaper (after you get the license) than that.

Yeah, it is cheaper and I bet they're more nimble/fun. For me though I specifically just want to fly a Cessna with wings over the cockpit at least 172 size with a normal yolk.

Speaking of trains, I remember when I was a kid, my family was on vacation out west in the US, and we were at some museum or something with some old steam trains out front. We took some pictures and I was in the cab playing around with levers and stuff, and suddenly the train started squeaking and rolled forward like 3 feet. :o

I pulled the lever I released back immediately. It was definitely a shock. Why there were no wheel chocks or something, who knows.

20 minutes ago, WWolf said:

Actually assuming one rents a plane, if a C172 has all 4 seats occupied and is flown from say Austin to Houston, it’s about an hour and a half operating cost. At a $140 an hour with tax, the trip is roughly just $35 per person. Much cheaper than airlines (they’d charge you a lot more if you didn’t book far in advantage and fares are seldom below $50). It’s all about how those costs are spread.

It’s also pretty practical for traveling intermediate distances quick where there doesn’t exist airline flights, or you have to connect and lose the time savings. (A 5-hour drive to the beach could be done in an hour and a half from here). Pricier year, but not a bad value.

So do you just drop off the plane at the destination like a rental car? Or is it only billed by actual use and you fly it back also and pay just time used?

• Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, WWolf said:

It’s also pretty practical for traveling intermediate distances quick where there doesn’t exist airline flights, or you have to connect and lose the time savings

The “100 dollar burger run” comes to mind! 

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Cirrus. said:

So do you just drop off the plane at the destination like a rental car? Or is it only billed by actual use and you fly it back also and pay just time used?

The latter.  You have to bring the plane back to the base.  Then you pay for time used which is recorded by a Hobbs meter.   (You’ll have to record the number it shows before and after flight). 

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/september/flight-training-magazine/how-it-works-hobbs-meter 

Also you may have to pay for the fuel if the company doesn’t include that in their rental price.  Some places do and some don’t.  When the FBO I work  at rented out planes we included it in our hourly rate.  I don’t think it’s common to find a rental place that doesn’t include fuel in their rental fees. 

Here’s an article I found on it in case you want to read it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.takeoffjunkie.com/how-to-rent-an-airplane/amp/

• Brohoof 4

5 hours ago, AppleButt said:

The “100 dollar burger run” comes to mind! 

Mine was $400+ :wacko: . It was good.

I just wish the price of rentals was still the way it was a few years back. Some of the older N-models cost as much now as the newer R-models did back in the day. Such is aviation. Effin insurance.

• Brohoof 1

I would love to fly a plane. There’s no greater feeling of freedom than flying over the world and seeing it from such a lofty perspective. But it costs a fortune and takes far more than I can afford, both in time and money. So I won’t be getting into the cockpit at any time soon. 

• Brohoof 1