Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Do You Cope With Depression?

IgnitedEnergy

The best thing for me is focusing on my joys in life, no matter how simple that might be. Whether it be my passion for gaming or looking forward to dinner, looking forward to something positive is very helpful. I also like going on a walk if I am feeling down. I like to walk around town and think about what I am looking forward to, so that is a two in one depression punching combo. :sneer: Talking to a good friend or my boyfriend can really help as well. I still have my down moods a lot, but I try to focus on all of this to fight it off.

• Brohoof 3

Exercise is definitely good and to simply keep yourself occupied have a goal that you strive towards that and pills haha. Mostly though I just do things I love doing haha, especially driving or even cooking you know. 

• Brohoof 1

Distractions, distractions, distractions. That's pretty much the only thing that works for me. Videogames are kind of hit or miss (I have an incredibly short fuse whenever I'm feeling down, so games can make it worse sometimes), but videos from people like jschlatt or Slimecicle work pretty well because of how absurdly stupid they can be. It's just a matter of motivating myself to actually start watching their videos.

Also, sleep helps, but actually falling asleep isn't easy.

For anyone needing some humor right now (incredibly dumb humor):

Spoiler

jschlatt

Spoiler

Slimecicle

Spoiler

I've been suffering from depression a lot lately. I find that distractions help to get me though it, and laughing and hanging out with people who make me happy is the best cure. Doing things I love like drawing, listening to music, and working on my truck distracts me the most from it. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't cope with it very well. I find that making myself useful (like doing volunteer work) or occupying myself with hobbies such as playing videogames helps a lot, but there are always those off moments when nothing's happening and you're alone, busy with your thoughts.

• Brohoof 1

I'm honest with it.

If I'm feeling depressed, then it's usually for a good reason. So if I'm feeling sad or really awful for whatever reason, then I allow myself to feel it out. I'll close myself away for a little while and have an internal conversation with myself or whatever entity my mind summons that may have a solution. I bounce my thoughts and feelings back and forth with that entity to the point it feels like the returned answers are almost sentient. It's always been a good exercise for me to get to the root of what is troubling me, especially when it's something I can't initially see or feel. I might not always find a solution, but I always feel a little better and wiser for understanding what is troubling me.

And if that doesn't bring any results at the time, then there is something that can be said for a good nap before trying again. Even a nap or a good night's sleep can sometimes dispel it enough to see a clearer picture.

• Brohoof 2

I was diagnosed with chronic depression some years ago (I know I was in high school at the time). For a long awhile, I dealt with it by isolating myself and sleeping way more than necessary. My parents became concerned so they sent me to a psychiatrist who prescribed me my first antidepressant. To this day, I think I’ve been on more than 15 antidepressant medications. It took me a very long time to find one that worked. I am now on a combination of medications that help my depression immensely. I do struggle with self injury, however, as that is a way I deal with the strong feelings. I know that is unhealthy but I am on a specific medication to help take away those urges. 

As for dealing with depression in the moment, I still tend to isolate and sleep. I am working on dealing with it better.

• Brohoof 2

For me, I try to deal with the problem before it becomes worse.  Distracting and bottling the problem doesn't really help me personally, there's still the thing that made me depressed in the first place just looming over me and I don't like that feeling.  Bottling my emotions has never proved in the past to really do anything good besides make the problem worse for me, I've spent most of my life doing that and the third time I wound up in the hospital because of it proves to me that it was never a good option for me.  I'd rather stop and think about what made me depressed in the first place in a more neutral place and try to work it out.  I think over the years I've become a "tackle your problems head-on" sort of person in some situations.

• Brohoof 1

It's probably not the right thing to do but I mostly just try to push the negative feelings aside the best I can and just keep going till I get through it. I don't tend to feel down for that long when I do though and usually come out of it after a bit of time.

• Brohoof 1

When I'm in a severely depressive slump, I can barely get out bed, let alone exercise. When I do manage to get out of bed, the only thing that helps is writing while listening to my favorite music. Putting things down on paper... quite literally... helps me work through things. Usually.

Other times, I just isolate and try to sleep until things get better. But... with a full time job, that never works out. Working through severe depression... not recommended.

• Brohoof 1

The way i deal with depression is that i just let the punches (both emotional and physical) land wherever they go and just roll with it. Then, when i sleep, i dream about mutilating myself a la Jigsaw deathtrap style. Then, the following morning, my emotions are shut down, and the cycle continues day and night. 

Deep thinking. I usually let it drown me to sleep. 

• Brohoof 1

When I went through a state of depression last year, the only thing that kept me above the water was when I watched Friendship Is Magic. Which is why I love it so much. Had I not become a brony, I don't know what would've happened. 

Even when I had had an awful day or had stayed at home for the day because I didn't want to show my face there, for those twenty-two minutes, nothing else mattered because I knew that I was going to have the time of my life. And I only have these ponies to thank.

the-mane-six-2_orig.jpg

(edited)

@TomDaBombMLP Yo dude having a show about ponies having fun definitely helps bro. Though you know depression is like a clogged artery, you have to know why you feel depressed change that about you then clean it out. If you can't pinpoint it, then congrats you have chronic depression and no matter what you do it stays with you to which I advise seeking professional help my friend.

I have the perfect cope though it's called accepting you feel depressed and seek help if you need it.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

Talking to my spirit friends since they are the only ones who understands on what I'm going through:dry:cause I got a bit too desperate that I willingly do that since my parents are a bit of a &!@^%^&%!!!!:glimmer: turns out that I was lucky to meet nice ones than the bad ones like most people did:yeahno:

• 1 year later...

I always face it and never run away from it, nor do I distract myself from it. I tend to think a lot and look for the root of it, try to find solutions. It is important to me to deal with it with my own strength and alone.

• Brohoof 1