Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Best remake of the generation?

Megas

Devs have been pretty Remake happy in the last few years, between giving games a real good visual overhaul(The Crash/Spyro trilogies, Halo, SotC) or completely remaking the entire game from scratch(Resident Evil 2/3, FFVII, Link's Awakening), it seems remaking classic games have been proven very successful, seeing as how we're still getting more in the future(They're remaking a (damn good)Spongebob game for fucks sake). With more to come, which remakes have you liked or have been impressed by the most?

Currently I really like Trials of Mana and Link's Awakening, but REmake 2 has been the gold standard for me

• Brohoof 3

Resident Evil 2 Remake absolutely takes the top prize for me. It is possibly the best example ever of how to remake a classic from the ground up to the modern standard while also pushing that standard forward AND keeping the spirit of the original intact while doing so. I cant think another remake that was able to do all of that as well as RE2 did. The only issue I had with the game was the limp boss battles. Besides those, it might be the best survival horror game ever. Makes me wish Konami wasn't so stupid these days because we could have gotten Silent Hills or perhaps a remake of the original, which to me is still the scariest game of its genre, just not the best at gameplay. 

• Brohoof 2

This reminded me of how Disney, similarly, is remaking their own movies but failing, while video game companies seem to be thriving with the remakes. I just hope it never becomes the norm (most games being remakes, I mean).

I haven't played many remakes and out of the recent ones, I've only played the Crash and Spyro trilogies. I adore the Spyro trilogy <3

• Brohoof 2

I would have thought I had played more remakes this generation, but when I think about it, I can't think of many.

I'm currently playing Final Fantasy VII Remake and in the past I played Pokemon Omega Ruby. I also played OOT3D and MM3D, but those are really weak remakes that feel like remastered ports.

I do really like Final Fantasy VII Remake for being a true remake, and not like the weak stuff that Nintendo does with Zelda. The environments and everything are completely reimagined to look like they would if made with today's technology instead of 1997's, which is how it should be (learn that, Nintendo!). Also I really like the FF7R combat system. I like how when you open up commands it pauses the combat. Not only do I much prefer the live combat of FF7R to the original's turn-based combat, but I prefer the way FF7R does it versus other SE games like Kingdom Hearts.

With that said, I'm still playing the game. I started it just a few days ago.

Pokemon OR was great. I know a lot of people hate the remake for not having Battle Frontier or whatever it was, but TBH, I couldn't care less about that. I've never had fun with any of the post-game Battle Facilities. Pokemon OR/AS fixed some things that really bothered me about R/S/E back in the day. Plus the DexNav or whatever it was called that showed Pokemon in the area and what needs to be caught was fantastic.

So it's between those two remakes for me.

I thought the remake of Alice in wonderland and Aladdin live actions was pretty successful and good compared to the other live action remake. I can’t wait to see how they will do it for Hercules. 

• 2 months later...