Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private New Pegas

Illiad Easle

OOC: https://mlpforums.com/topic/190549-new-pegas/

@reader8363

War, we thought we knew what it meant.

When the forces of Tartarus ravaged Equis, those who survived did so in underground Stables or Vaults. When they opened, their inhabitants set out across the ruins of the old world to build new societies, establish villages, form herds. As decades passed, what had been the Mild West and San Palomino Desert united beneath the flag of the New Lunar Republic, dedicated to the principles of the old Trojan Empire, being democracy and common rule. As the republic grew, so too did it's needs. Scouts spread north, seeking territory and resources among the ruins and wastes of the San Palomino Desert and Southern Equestria. They returned with tales of a city untouched by the forces who had ravaged the world, and a great access point to an untapped ley-line. The NLR mobilized its forces, sending them to occupy and develop this access point.

But to the east, another nation had risen, under a different flag, a vast army of slaves, forged from the conquest of 86 herds, Discord's Legion.

Four years have passed since the NLR held the access point, barely, against the Legion's onslaught. As before they did not retreat. To the east they wait, gaining strength with each passing week.

From the north now comes another force. Scouts, claiming to be from the Solar Empire, have been seen by the NLR, and captured by the Legion. The Empire claims that it is the rightful heir to Equestria, and therefore the access point and the city.

Throughout it all, New Pegas has remained open for business, under the control of its mysterious overseer, Grey Mane, and his army of recivilized herds and minotaur golems.

You are a courier, hired along with your sister by the Palomino Express to the New Pegas strip, what seemed like a simple delivery job has taken a turn, for the worst.

Solstice and Eclipse come to, and find themselves bound and gagged before a trio of creatures: two ponies and a griffon. One of the ponies and the griffon bear the marks of belonging to the tribe known as the Talons, a mostly mercenary group known for doing the more brutal jobs. The pony in the middle, a light grey unicorn stallion in an oddly nice checkered suit, seems to be in charge. In his magic he holds the golden disk Eclipse was meant to deliver.

The unicorn looks directly at Eclipse, "You've made your last delivery fil'. Sorry you got twisted up in this scene." He puts the disk in his suit coat, and pulls out a pair of ornate pistols with his magic, holding one to each of the twins heads. "From where you're laying it must seem like an 18 karat run of bad luck. The truth is, the game was rigged from the start."

A pair of ear-splitting bangs, and everything goes dark for the twins.

Some time later, they come to again, this time in what looks like a house, an old stallion standing over them, "Whoa, easy there." he speaks with a tired, yet kind voice. "Easy, you two've been out cold a couple of days now. Why don't you just relax a second, get your bearings. Let's see what the damage is. How about your name? Can you tell me your names?"

Solstice moved herself into a sitting position and said, "I'm Solstice. Where are we?" She used her magic to nudge Eclipse to get her response.

Eclipse levitated her mask over to her and ran a hoof over the scratch in it. She was startled when the blanket was pushed into her. She looked up and said as she placed the mask on her lap, "I'm Eclipse."

• Brohoof 1

@reader8363

The old stallion nodded at both of them as they spoke, "Huh, can't say that's what I'd've chosen for you. But if those're your names those're your names. I'm Doc Pitch, welcome to Sweetwater."

He looked around for something as he continued, "Now, I hope you don't mind, but I had to go rootin around in yer noggins to get all the bits of lead out. I take pride in my needlework but, well, you should see for yourselves." He pulled a mirror out from a number of assorted equipment on a nearby table and passed it to Solstice.

If they looked into it they'd see that, besides from a faint scar on their foreheads, indicating that the bullets had struck them just above and to the side of their horns. Any further down or to the side and it would've likely damaged or removed their horns, if not outright killed them. As it was, it was a prime example of why one shouldn't dual-wield accuracy based weapons with magic.

Provided they didn't object to their appearance, the doctor would come over to their bed. "Okay, no sense in keeping you in bed any longer, lets see if we can't get you on your hooves."

Solstice glanced at the scar, then she nodded as she hopped off the bed and walked over to Eclipse to help her up. She helped steady Eclipse, before letting her stand on her own. 

Eclipse was glad that her mask will hide the scar, even though it's not really noticeable. She placed the mask on the side of her head and got off the bed with Solstice's help. She was a bit wobbly at first, but she was able to stand on her own after that. 

• Brohoof 1

@reader8363

The doc had a slight smile on his face as they stood, "Good, why don't you walk down to the end of the room there, over by that couch. Take it slow now, it ain't a race."

The room they were in was small, but comfortable all things considered. It was definitely cleaner than most places in the wasteland were, but it was far from the most sterile environment. Across the room from the medical cots they had been resting in there was a small living area, a pair of couches and a sitting chair near a burned out fireplace.

The doc would walk with them, helping as need be, until they were able to make it to the couches. "Now, I see you two have pip-colts, you grow up in a Stable?"

Solstice said as Eclipse walked over to the over side of the room, "Yeah, We grew up in one, but we both left. Eclipse wanted to see the world and I couldn't leave her." When Eclipse came back, Solstice walked to the other side of the room and back.

Eclipse walked to the side as she listened to Solstice talk to the doc. Once she got back, she sat down and watched up come back. 

• Brohoof 1

@reader8363

The Doc nodded, "Understandable, I grew up in a Stable too, but I left soon after it opened. That was a long time ago though." He looked like an idea struck him, he went into another room and came back with a box of things. "Here, these belong to the two of you, was all you had on you when you was brought in." Within the box was whatever they had been carrying when they had been abducted by the unicorn and his goons, as well as Eclipse's book and the note they had been given by the Palomino Express when they had taken the job to deliver the disk. "I hope you don't mind, but I gave the note a look. I was hoping it could help me find a next of kin, but it was just something about a golden disk."

(You can pick from the starting equipment of New Vegas and any of the expansions for your starting gear, or anything you think would make sense for them to have.)

The Doc would turn towards the door, "If that's all I'll walk you two out. Don't be afraid to come back if you need medical attention, just don't get yourselves killed again."

Solstice nodded her thanks and levitated Eclipse's items to her, She wore some light leather with a custom 10mm pistol with 5 armor piercing bullets, a beat-up rifle with a scope taped on, and pouch of first-aid kit with a sewing kit inside of it. She placed her cap on and looked over to her sister.

Eclipse wore a dark cloak with a bulge from the pouch  for letters and her book locked in place with studded black leather on the other side (like deathnote). She threw the mask on her face and nodded, her mane was hidden inside the cloak. 

Soltice turned to the Doc and said, "Thanks again, and if we ever need help, we'll come back. We won't die the easily."

• Brohoof 1

The Doc would open the door for them, revealing the town framed by the high sun overhead, it was a small collection of derelict and repaired buildings, with a smattering of creatures going about their business, no more than a dozen or so in total, most appeared to be farmers. "Before you leave town, you should talk to Sunny Smiles. She might be able to help you two learn to fend for yourselves a bit better in the desert, she'll likely be at the saloon there down the hill. I reckon some of the other folks down there might be able to help too, and that clay feller Odis, who pulled you out of your graves."

Almost as if summoned by talking about him, said golem happened to be passing by on a nearby road, (shaped like an iron golem from minecraft only without the head as its face is in the middle of its chest like a protectron) made of clay and covered in runes, some clearly damaged and others only glowing weakly. It didn't react to the mention of it's name.

Solstice nodded and said, "Eclipse, go see Sunny, I'll go see Odis to thank him." She headed off after Odis, and add, "Hey, Odis.

Eclipse said as she headed to the salon, "Okay, will do." She headed off towards the salon. Even though she bad at shooting, she could learn how to shoot it. She walked into the salon. 

@reader8363

(Solstice)

The golem paused in its progress to face Solstice when it was approached. It's face was stylized to look like a pony, which was different given most minotaur golems had minotaur faces. Someone had also put a cowboy hat on top of the golem. It's speech was rudimentary, considering the damage it had sustained, but Solstice was ignorant as to how all the runes worked. "Howdy Partner! Might I say you're looking fit as a fiddle. Say, wasn't there another one with you?"

(Eclipse)

In front of the saloon was an old stallion who smelled a bit like explosives, he would nod to Eclipse as she passed, but wouldn't engage with her unless she spoke to him first.

Provided she didn't address him, and continued in to the saloon, she'd be greeted by the somewhat aggressive bark of a large dog, "Cheyenne, stay." A yellowish earth pony mare in light leather armor and a rifle strapped to her back stepped forward, "Don't worry, she won't bite unless I tell her to. I'm Sunny Smiles by the way, and you are?"

The room wasn't too big, the air slightly clouded with the ever present dust of the wasteland. The central feature of the room was a pool table which looked like it was actually in good repair, along with a jukebox that likely only had the lights working in it. There was a hallway out the back of the room, and the sounds of a bar through a doorway to the left, as well as the murmurings of an unpleasant conversation.

Solstice said with a smile, "Eclipse is going to talk with Sunny Smiles, and I just came over to say thanks from both of us for getting us out of our graves."

Eclipse jumped from the barking and said as she removed the mask, "My name is Eclipse, I heard from doc that you could teach me on how to fend for myself." The place was descent than the abandoned building that they passed before.  

(Solstice)

The golem did it's best imitation of a shrug, "Don't mention it! I'm always ready to lend a helping hoof to a stranger in need."

(Eclipse)

Sunny, true to her name, smiled, "Yeah, I guess there's a thing or two I could show you. Sounds like you need all the help you can get after what they done to you. Meet me outside, behind the saloon, and I'll show you some things. It'll take me a bit to get ready, so give me about five or ten minutes."

If Eclipse didn't stop her, she'd walk out through the same door Eclipse had entered from, the large dog following dutifully behind her.

The conversation in the other room was growing more unpleasant, there wasn't any shouting, but the atmosphere had definitely soured, which may have influenced Sunny's desire to leave the building on any excuse.

Solstice said as she run off towards the saloon to check up on her sister, and check if the saloon owner, knows locations and rumors." She nodded a greeting to the old stallion outside the saloon and walked into see Eclipse walking towards where the uneasy feeling is coming from. She said as she stopped her, "I'll see what's going on, go do what you need."

Eclipse nodded and felt off by the bar. She slowly moved towards the door when she was stopped by Solstice. She nodded and ran off, glad not to have to go in there." She bolted out the door and ran to the back. She winced at the harsh light, moved the mask back in place, and slowly walked back there as the pain subsided.

(Eclipse)

When Eclipse got to the back of the saloon she'd find Sunny carefully setting some empty bottles on a nearby fence, nearly knocking one over as she turned to great Eclipse, "Here so soon? You must be eager to get started. Come over here." She'd move back a few meters from the fence, prepping her rifle once she got into position. "You see those bottles right? One important thing to surviving in the wasteland is knowing how to hit things. I saw you didn't have a gun of your own, unless you've got it well hidden, so if you want I could give you my old varmint rifle." She offered the gun to Eclipse, "But if you want to just practice with your horn that's fine too, provided you know some spells. Let's see what you've got by taking out those bottles down there."

(Solstice)

In the bar proper there was quite the discussion going down between what looked like the bartender, who was a middle aged earth pony mare with a no-nonsense look to her, and a tough looking pegasus stallion wearing body armor that read NLR Correctional Facility. The stallion was speaking when she entered, "I'm done being nice. If you don't hoof Ring over soon, I'm going to get my friends and we're burning this town to the ground, got it?"

The bartender seemed wholly unfazed by the threat, "We'll keep that in mind. Now, if you're not going to buy something, get out."

With that the stallion would start to angrily walk away while the bartender went back to tidying up the bar.

(edited)

Eclipse levitated the rifle and said as she said, "I don't know any spells to fire, just some that are bad to use." She could go and say that they are old dark magic. She aimed at the bottle and with a hint of a dark color magic to steady herself, she took shots at the bottles.

Solstice walked up to the bar and said, "I've came in to see with you had some info, but first, what was that about. The place felt almost like a death trap." She levitated the rifle near her left leg and the hat on the counter.

Edited by reader8363
  • Brohoof 1

(Eclipse)

She'd miss about 70% of her shots, and get a rifle jam at least once. Sunny would smile encouragingly nonetheless, "That's the right idea. Look down the sight." Provided Eclipse was amicable Sunny would adjust her form so she could look straight down the sights. "Try crouching down and staying still. It'll help your aim."

When Eclipse jammed the rifle, "Careful, these old things sometimes don't work quite right, and you don't want to hurt yourself. When it jams just unload it and try again." She'd demonstrate.

If Eclipse followed the instructions her accuracy would go up to only missing 60% or her shots on the bottles. [Eclipse's Guns skill increased] 

Sunny smiled at Eclipse's improvement, "Well, that's a start. But I don't reckon you came to me to learn to fight sarsaparilla bottles. Tell you what. I gota go chase geckos away from our water supply anyway. Darn critters are attracted to it. Why don't you come along?"

(Solstice)

The bartender turned abruptly towards Solstice, apparently having not noticed her come in. "Well, you've been causing quite a stir. Glad I finally got to meet you. Welcome to the Prospector Saloon."

12 hours ago, reader8363 said:

"I've came in to see with you had some info, but first, what was that about. The place felt almost like a death trap."

The bartender sighed, "Looks like our little town got itself dragged into the middle of something we don't want anything to do with. About a week ago, this trader named Brass Ring comes into town. Survivor of an attack, he says. Bad ponies after him, needs a place to hide. We figured he was just in shock, so we gave him a place to lie low. We didn't actually expect anyone to come after him." 

Eclipse nodded and followed Sunny's instructions, and said, "Sure I'll come with ya." She didn't show it, but she a little annoyed by the masked being in the way of the scope. At night, she'll be able to aim better.

Solstice said as she crossed her hooves on the table, "The stallion that was here wants you to give up Brass, or their going to burn the place down." She looked around the bar to see that it was in really good shape.

(Eclipse)

Sunny's smile was especially sunny, "Perfect! Follow me." She and her dog would head east out of town, waiting for Eclipse to follow behind. Eventually they'd crouch down, Eclipse would be able to hear some odd clicking and shuffling noises. "Hear that up on the ridge? We've got some geckos to clear out. Bunch of little monsters is what they are. Seems like Doc Pitch treats more gecko bites than anything else. Lets see if we can get a little closer. If we move quietly, we can get the jump on 'em. More likely to hit something vital that way."

Sunny would move stealthily up onto the ridge, her dog seemed to have the same idea and moved quietly as well.

Once Eclipse was up on the ridge she'd be able to see the well, a large metal pump a few dozen meters off feeding into a small reservoir, as well as a trio of what were apparently the geckos, looking almost like baby dragons and just a bit larger than Sunny's dog. Sunny was prepping to fire, but waiting for Eclipse to be ready too. "If we're lucky, we can hit two at once, then get the third together."

(Solstice)

The bartender snorted, "Scared's what he is, Cobb hasn't exactly been looking for Ring too hard, I think he's afraid that ring will ambush him, which is probably true. I'm just hoping that Ring sneaks away one night, and takes these Boomers with him."

Eclipse stealthily followed Sunny up the ridge and placed the gun up, ready to fire at one, right when Sunny fires. 

Solstice said with a friendly smile, "I might be able to talk him off your hooves. Me and my sis are looking for a group that stole something important to her as a courier. They might've came here before leaving. A stallion with a checkered suit on with a pony and a griffon."

(Eclipse)

Once Sunny was sure Eclipse was ready she fired her shot, hitting one in the head and downing it instantly.

Eclipse was successful with her shot [Sneak Attack], taking limb off another gecko, but it wasn't quite dead.

The two geckos that weren't dead now turned to rush towards them, mouths open. They were still a bit of a ways off, they'd likely be able to get a few more shots off before they were reached.

(Solstice)

3 hours ago, reader8363 said:

"I might be able to talk him off your hooves.

The bartender looked intrigued, "If you were able to get Ring out of this mess you'd have a decent reputation around here. I'd even set you up with a discount. Or course helping Ring would also make the Boomers mad, and they've got a lot of friends out there."

3 hours ago, reader8363 said:

Me and my sis are looking for a group that stole something important to her as a courier. They might've came here before leaving. A stallion with a checkered suit on with a pony and a griffon."

"Yeah I know them, they passed through a few days ago. Can't say I know much about them other than they're a bunch of freeloaders who expected a few rounds on the house. I was able to get them to pay up however. Of course, one of the Talons did knock my radio to the floor 'by accident', and it hasn't been working since."

Eclipse unlatched her book out to put some magic into the next bullet to make deal more damage to the geko and fired at the one she shot before. 

Solstice said with interest, "We can take him to a safe place once me and my sister leave. Did they happen to say where they were heading and could I see the radio. I might be able to fix it."

(Eclipse)

Sunny''s next shot was on the uninjured gecko, crippling a leg so it couldn't approach as fast, at the same time her dog had reached them, attacking the same one with its teeth.

Eclipse's next bullet struck the one she had shot before, killing it.

There was only one gecko left, struggling with Cheyenne.

(Solstice)

The bartender chuckled, "You're a talkative one aren't you? If you want to talk to Ring he's holed up in the old elixir station up the hill on the east side of town."

1 hour ago, reader8363 said:

Did they happen to say where they were heading

"They were having some kind of argument about it, but the colt in the checkered suit kept shushing them. Sounded like they came in from the north through Quarry Junction. If that's the case I can't say I blame them for not wanting to go back that way. That whole area's overrun with the kind of critters that just get mad if you shoot 'em. Merchants avoid that whole stretch of the road like it's covered in antimagic. Which it could be for all I know. I didn't hear exactly, but the colt was talking about the Strip. If he wants to get there and not take the main road he'd have to go east through Prime."

1 hour ago, reader8363 said:

could I see the radio. I might be able to fix it."

"Sure. The outside looks fine, but I think something broke on the inside. There'd be caps in it for you, I do like to hear what's going on in the world, and that Mr. New Pegas seems like such a gentlestallion." She'd take the radio off the back counter and give it to Solstice.

Given Solstice's repair skill, she'll be able to repair it with no issues.

Eclipse aimed at the top of the head of the gecko, higher than Cheyenne, but placed it back down and said, "I can't shoot with confidence that I won't hit Cheyenne." She made a mental note to pick up a blade with similar situations.

Solstice said as she repaired the radio, "It comes in handy being talkative. Easier to make friend and calm down situations. There ya go, you radio is fixed. I'll go talk with Brass before chasing after them."

(Eclipse)

Sunny only fired herself in response, managing to hit the gecko without hitting her dog, her dog being able to finish it off by itself at that point before returning happily to the pair. "Good shooting, looks like I rubbed off on you better than I thought. There's two more wells to clear, but I understand if you want to head back now. There's some caps in it for you if you help me out though, and I could show you some survival skills too."

Sunny would start to head north, but would wait for Eclipse to decide before moving on.

(Solstice)

The bartender was impressed, "So quickly? You must be some good repairpony, or it wasn't as broken as I thought. Here's some caps for your work." [Received 50 caps] "Good luck out there, and feel free to come back if you need anything."