Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What Was The Hardest Job You Ever Worked?

EpicEnergy

The hardest job I ever worked was at a distribution center. It involved going up and down numerous sets of stairs, walking over 5 miles a day, lifting 5-75 pound boxes, working in extreme heat (it got as hot as 110 degrees Fahrenheit), and working in a very dusty warehouse. I worked it during the summertime. It was very hard for me, I got severe nose bleeds often, I was very tired all the time, and I had severe headaches often. It was tearing down my health, so I had to quite after somewhere around my second month of working there. It was a temporary job anyways.

• Brohoof 1

Mentally? Working as a grocery bagger. I don't like staying in one place and I don't like dealing with people. 

Physically? Removing and labeling painted parts hanging from a conveyor line, while scanning work orders and printing labels, next to an industrial oven, in the Summertime, where we're not allowed to wear shorts and tank tops due to safety reasons, often working 10 hour days and Saturdays, all while we're either understaffed or saddled with bottom of the barrel quality temp workers. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't know my current job I guess as a carpenter I've literally had over twenty hours of work some days that and it is pretty much is just you working a lot. Some days I've had to lift things heavier then myself without any ability to lift it as uwu cutesy wootsy.

Sure like with any trade it pays really good but reason why I went to university is to get some nonsense easy job like seriously working at sharpening pencils pretty much doing nothing. University being the scam it is and waste of time by the way doesn't actually help you get a job and usually they are lower paying then trades. 

• Brohoof 1

I would have to say the Deli at sprouts. Understaffed and I’m literally feel like a “one man” working there. Couldn’t get a break or an lunch break because it was so fucking busy. I have to work on restocking, making a fucking sandwiches, AND cutting em cheese and meats for costumers. And what I hate the most is when they have a large order! I even told them that will take awhile if not, more. And they would make that ugly bulldog expression after hearing they have to wait. I mean they did walk around the store to buy times but I keep having more people coming in for orders..it was exhausting. 

I did have some commoners coming in who are really nice, so that kinda made up bits of the shits I have to deal with.

The hardest job for me was working for RGIS. The hours were crazy depending on what store was being inventoried. Most placed had to be done butt early in the morning, like before the store opened. So, we would have to wake up really early to travel there and get done on time. Grocery stores were the worst because they were big and customers were always in the way. Those stores you counted by quantity and the price of the item. Nothing was scanned. You typed the quantity and price into the calculator machine on your hip. One time, a store manager didn't like my numbers and wanted me to do it all over again. Thankfully my boss stood up for me and said that customers were taking items off the shelves to purchase. So, numbers were going to be a little off. So, I didn't have to do it again.

Department stores were different because those are inventoried. So, every stupid little thing had to be scanned in each department.

When other districts called up and asked for help with an inventory, we had to do it, no matter where it was and how long it would take us to get there. But when we asked for help, no one came to help us.  

Basically, hours were terrible, we barely got enough hours each week, and we were treated like crap.

• Brohoof 2

I haven’t worked any necessarily difficult jobs but I would say the hardest one was my first one. I worked at a pizza restaurant and I worked the phones taking orders. At the time, I had no control over my crippling social anxiety so I was terrible at doing my work. I had such a hard time that I had to quit.

I worked at Taco Bell once for a very short time, as a cashier. It was far more complicated than it needed to be and I really hated it. Needless to say I didn't remain there long, I couldn't stand it.

I love my present job (Disneyland) but it can be really demanding too. Demanding in a good way of course. :darling:

Walking through every single power line in the entire Sweden, and categorizing them, pole by pole. That's a lot of work. Difficult? Time consuming? Well, I did it.

• Brohoof 1

I work at a club that has an outdoor pizzeria with woodfire ovens. I'm technically trained to work in the kitchen there and I've had a few shifts making pizzas. In the summer, it is impossible to keep cool. The kitchen is outdoors and so it has no air conditioning, and it's a small kitchen with two woodfire ovens blasting heat. In Australia, summer temperatures are above 40°(C) / 104°(F) almost every day. That is easily the worst experience I've ever had.

15 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Toss up between Subway and a call center. Subway was the first job ever and was the grossest. Call center was spiritually and emotionally taxing.

I loved working at subway! I ate it daily and still love it. (Avoid the chicken) 

I once had a job that required me to be physically assaulted (punched, kicked, bit, spat on) on a daily basis. I had to endure it because they were kids with brain damage so I had no repercussions. Also my boss hated me. 

The hardest job I've done was working as a leaflet distributor for an afternoon.

Although not physcially hard, mentally, it does send you a little insane and drains the life out of you. I had to pace back and forth up and down the same pedestrian street for the entire afternoon trying to hand out leaflets. Under the blazing sun with no cover and a large town clock at one end of the street, showing you exactly how slow the time was passing, it was pretty much mental torture. Add that to the looks you got from random pedestrians also. Some doing their best to pretend you aren't even there, some giving you dirty looks for even making eye contact. Not to mention being chased off by a front desk woman housed in a nearby shopping centre, depsite it being your job to pace back and forth trying to hand out leaflets for random rubbish that people don't want.

I've worked in some horrible environments. Some of which that required me to stand at the top of  tall ladders in the freezing cold rain and wind. I'd rather do that than to ever have to do leaflet distribution ever again. :yeahno:

(edited)

I think my last job as a dishwasher was pretty difficult.  It wasn't the work itself that made it difficult, I could've stood there for longer, it was one of my managers that made it difficult for me.  She kept expecting me to know what I was doing even though she knew that this was my first time working in a restaurant.  She expected me to be as fast as the other dishwasher that was working there for 7 years.  The person who was there never even trained me properly.  Everyone kept telling me to go faster but no one told me how to go faster and when I tried going about washing dishes the same as she did, I would be yelled at for wasting water or not putting enough through the dishwasher.  On top of constantly having a huge pile of pots, pans and other dishes waiting for me, they expected me to do other tasks like thoroughly clean the bathrooms, mopping and doing other tasks that take me from my initial job.  They expected me to do all of that in 15 minutes yet tell me to take more time doing them?  

"Cleaning the bathrooms should be your first priority" so what about the whole ass cart of dishes that need to be cleaned?  What about the pots and pans that the cook was supposed to clean BEFORE I got there but never did himself?  The fact that the dishwasher constantly broke took time out of what I was supposed to be doing and you expect me to do all of that in only 4 hours??????  The fact that they would only give me four hours a day to do all of that really limited how much I could actually get done.  I hated that place because of all the expectations that I, someone who's never held that position before, magically knows what I'm supposed to be doing and could clean an entire four rack cart of dishes in only 30 minutes.  I make a lot of mistakes when I'm rushing myself that much and much of that needs to be redone anyways, it's a waste of time, water and effort.  Not to mention that the person I mentioned who's worked there for 7 years?  She made tons of mistakes and a lot needed to be rewashed and scrubbed anyways so why the hell were they constantly making her out to be this godly character?

Not to mention, the manager would treat me like dirt.  She always deadnamed me and would misgender me a lot too.  I thought it was first because she wasn't used to it and was stuck in her ways but oh no, she made a game out of it.  I'm a private person usually, I only tell people that need to know irl, mostly to keep myself safe.  Just seeing the blatant disrespect from her really ruined the job for me along with everything I mentioned in this post.  Never want to work in that position or pretty much any other restaurant again, only four hours a day for two or three days of the week?  Who can live off of that?  I certainly couldn't and they weren't flexible with people who wanted to work a second job, I can't tell you how many people left that place in the time I was there because they weren't lenient with anyone.  That place is a revolving door for most people, I saw at least 20 people leave for one reason or another when I worked there.  Only three core staff members worked there it seemed.  Also, I wouldn't suggest people eat there since the amount of dirty plates, using bad food yet still be approved by the local food safety people is a joke and I tell people not to eat there.  I mean, if the person who has to wash the toilets AND clean the plates(which, btw the lady who "trained" me never washed her hands before cleaning plates, she said you didn't need to) says anything to you, the quality of the food should.

I had been thinking of quitting there for a few months but this one incident with my manager made me really want to quit.  This one time I was washing dishes and left a cup to dry on the other side after putting everything else away.  She comes up to me and says something, I couldn't hear her very well because of the washing machine.  I thought she asked me if I was doing silverware but I said no, she got mad at me and started ranting about wasting water and if she ever caught me doing that again, she would fire me.  She apparently was asking something along the lines of if I cleaned anything else besides that cup.  I was really confused for a hot second and had no idea what she was talking about.  I tried explaining to her what I did but she wouldn't have it and merely stormed off.  One of the other cooks who'd been there for a while was talking to me about it but in that moment I decided that it would be best to leave.  I'm glad I did, I had been dreading going to work for a few weeks before that and the pay and hours I was getting were absolute garbage.  Felt good to leave, now I don't hate myself anymore for staying there.  She made the job harder than it should've been, like, sorry I can't read your mind nor am I a robot who could clean everything in a matter of seconds or whatever she wanted.

Edited by Thuja

Two factory jobs at once with shifts that didn’t match like one day till 11pm next day 6am and sh co-workers who trashtalked everyone 

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Sunlight Glisten said:

I loved working at subway!

Bleh, not me. Everything was gross and cold and slightly damp. I went home smelling like mayonnaise and soggy bread every day. They had constant manager turnover. I got treated pretty terribly.

Hated it.

5 hours ago, ShadOBolt ️ said:

Bleh, not me. Everything was gross and cold and slightly damp. I went home smelling like mayonnaise and soggy bread every day. They had constant manager turnover. I got treated pretty terribly.

Hated it.

Ya bad management can kill any good thing. Mine was very clean and well managed. Definantly smelled like mustard every day.