Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any races on the show you didn't like?

Azureth

3 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

I’m only kidding. :laugh: 

Alright....... if you say so......:okiedokieloki:

4 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

I don’t hate any of the races but the yaks would be last on my list of my favorite.

Same. I don't really "hate" any of the races in the show- hate is a bit too strong of a word- but dislike? Yeah, I really dislike the Yaks. I've never been a fan of them. :scoots:

• Brohoof 2

Yaks are strong! Yaks take being this thread's punching bag! 

I never found the yaks annoying, I just never found them particularly interesting. My least favorite creature type (hooray for political correctness in a race bashing thread! :kirin:) was the hippogriff. I literally remember nothing about them other than the fact that they're easy to confuse with the griffons. 

• Brohoof 2

I know I'm following the crowd with this one, here, but the Yaks were 100% my least favorite race. I feel like the writers relied too heavily on the whole "loud = funny" approach. The joke wasn't funny the first time, and certainly wasn't funny the 100th time. Especially when you take into account that they made that the only personality trait of the Yaks. 

I mean, the Yaks could've easily been a fun way to incorporate Icelandic culture or something into the show, but instead it was just "YAKS LOUD." 

Separately, I think that they introduced wayyyy too many races anyway that I wasn't even able to like any of them in regards to pure interest. The show then focused nearly exclusively on world-building to create a world where all of these species could exist. I liked the ponies and working inside of that area; all of the races were just...excessive. 

• Brohoof 3

6 hours ago, Denim&Venöm said:

I wasn't too fond of he Running of the leaves. We never did find out who won. 

Well, better somthing like that than how later on main chracters seemed to win a lot more often.

Except for Kirin, canon non-pones are less than worthless, but homebrewn non-pones have greater value than ponies.

P.S: You can argue that canon Kirin are just microtransaction skin for unicorns.

I don't dislike the other races, but I dislike HOW these races were treated. Apparently, all races needed help from the ponies and to solve their problems, Dragons? Too greedy, they need someone approved by ponies, for the benefit of ponies, to lead them. Changelings? let a pony tell them what to do (sorry Glimmy, it's not your fault being part of a racist society) so they can prosper as a society. Yaks? They have been isolated for 1000 years, they are so primitive that all they need are ponies to share. Hippogriffs? Let them a few years underwater, until a pony princess comes to steal their magical pearl with the intention of saving her kingdom. Griffins? a completely devastated society that all they need is friendship, and beware, finding a friendly griffin is rare!
Then send them all to a school to indoctrinate them.

Practically, ponies are the only stable society, and everyone else is there, waiting for a friendly pony to save them from misery.

[Excuse me if there is a misspelling, Google Translate is not always the best translator]

• Brohoof 1

42 minutes ago, Jane said:

I don't dislike the other races, but I dislike HOW these races were treated. Apparently, all races needed help from the ponies and to solve their problems, Dragons? Too greedy, they need someone approved by ponies, for the benefit of ponies, to lead them. Changelings? let a pony tell them what to do (sorry Glimmy, it's not your fault being part of a racist society) so they can prosper as a society. Yaks? They have been isolated for 1000 years, they are so primitive that all they need are ponies to share. Hippogriffs? Let them a few years underwater, until a pony princess comes to steal their magical pearl with the intention of saving her kingdom. Griffins? a completely devastated society that all they need is friendship, and beware, finding a friendly griffin is rare!
Then send them all to a school to indoctrinate them.

Practically, ponies are the only stable society, and everyone else is there, waiting for a friendly pony to save them from misery.

[Excuse me if there is a misspelling, Google Translate is not always the best translator]

I absolutely agree with this. When I first saw the show about the friendship school, I started questioning how it would look like to not be the pony race in Equestria.

There are also a few MLP the Movie problems that were brought into Season 8 at the same time, making it look even worse. There are more stupid-made creatures outside Equestria, and the colorful ponies are the only ones we as an audience should look up to.

(edited)

I liked all the races on the show. :wub:

Now, the movie on the other hoof... :eww:

edit: but to be fair this is discussion on the show, so if I had to pick a least favorite, it'd maybe be the Hippogriffs (nevermind that they're from the movie technically)

also yeah I kinda agree with above posts that the way the races were handled is potentially more of an issue, although I don't think it's such a bad thing they get most of their change from ponies. Ponies are the stars of the show after all, so it's kind of natural from a story telling point of view.

Edited by Starzen

23 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

They were never fully introduced as a race, but if Capper's personality was any indication, i wouldn't be a fan of the Abbysinians.

It's kind of weird for them to include an actual term for the people of Ethiopia and Eritrea even though it's more associated with the breed of cat these days, lol.

On 5/14/2020 at 1:44 PM, Super Splashee said:

I didn't like all the new creatures or monsters brought in with MLP the Movie.

I worked it out and depending on what you count, there's up to 60 sentient species. 21 came from the movie alone, and 5 are so out there you can't even guess as to what they'd be called.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I must say yaks are the species I’m the least fond of. Their simple ways aren’t shown in an amicable way, but clashing with ponies. And ponies are seen as bad for not adapting to them. Maybe it’s because they remind me too much of my family of backwoods drunken and womanizing hicks, and myself as a brat :eww:. Yona didn’t make me appreciate them more, as she faced mostly the same issues. Despite she can do more than being just another yak. But those were never touched upon :sunny:

Edited by Steve Piranha

I didn't like the monsterish creatures in the movie, and from the more prominent species I dislike the yaks, I kinda like yona but thats it for the yaks, I don't hate them anymore but I don't like them either.

• 7 months later...
On 5/18/2020 at 3:05 AM, Rushing cash said:

I didn't like the monsterish creatures in the movie, and from the more prominent species I dislike the yaks, I kinda like yona but thats it for the yaks, I don't hate them anymore but I don't like them either.

well I hate human and dislike the hippogriffs are kind of boring

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, there are quite a lot I don't like, here we go.

Starting off with probably my least favorite are yaks. I still don't really know why yaks were even introduced to the show. They are annoying and uninteresting, and I don't like any of the yak characters, even Yona.

Next up we have a pretty close second, and that's reformed changelings. I have never been a fan of changelings, but at least before they made sense. They worked well as villains. Now that they are reformed, they just seem like another copy and paste, uninteresting species. Plus, the implications of their changing powers makes them overpowered. Oh, and on top f all that, those designs have got to be the worst designs in all of MLP.

I'd say my third would be dragons. I actually used to like the dragons in MLP. That was because they seemed like actually epic hardcore dragons. Ever since dragon quest, they've been jest shown as obnoxious jerks, rather than epic monsters. They have been turned into blank slates with nothing interesting to show, and are basically just worse versions of griffons now. Plus, their newer, smaller designs are pretty ugly.

The rest are in no particular order. I don't really like Griffins because they are also uninspired jerks (like the dragons). Only thing that makes them better in my eyes are their designs. Then there are hippogriffs, definitely not the worst non-ponies, but still not very exciting. Pus, the whole turning into a seapony thing doesn't make much sense. There are other creatures here and there that I dislike, but I already gave the five main ones.

As you can see, I just don't really like non-ponies in general. They all feel like uninspired and uninteresting characters that don't bring much good into the show. I think the show simply got carried away with the non-ponies, especially towards the end. Some creatures (Yaks and Hippogriffs) didn't really need to be added and others (Dragons and Changelings) had some potential, but ultimately failed. Ponies are by far the most fun and interesting characters in the show and it kind of sucked that they started to get sidelined towards the later seasons. I would've had much less focus on expanding outside of Equestria, and much more focus expanding inside Equestria in terms of world building. It would've been cool to get more insight on pony society itself. This is called My Little PONY after all. ^_^

1 hour ago, Califorum said:

What do you like about Yona?

Well she has this cutie earnestness, a likeable and humorous clumsiness. and not to mention she's tough when she needs to be. Just more tough, blunt, and honest rather than pigheaded.

She's easily the most endearing of the yaks, while having just enough of their style.

Plus throughout being at the school, she breaks a lot of the stubborn yak-like mindsets after being molded through friendship.

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...