Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Opinions on country & rap music?

Sparkleberry

Not sure if you like Rap or Country.. But i usually aint fan of it. Either it is just music about "non catchy talks, or its obnoxious loud singing with some hawaaian music in the background" oh dear.

But only two bands i like because its legit good and its not bad.

DMX and Josh Turner.

What about you?

(edited)

@Sparkleberry How come you haven't enabled your status feed?

I don't have enough experience to dislike country. Rap on the other hand, I have not enjoyed since its creation. Back in the day when RAP was not popular, you would get songs like these:

:eww:

And...

Now, the singing is good here, and the Chorus is melt-worthy.

Rap invented by this guy?

Edited by Super Splashee
  • Brohoof 2

I can not think of even a single Country song I like. Sorry. Like I could mention Country Folk, Country Rock, or Bluegrass, but I feel like those are cheating as they are not Country at all.

Rap is not a genre I'm knowledgeable about. It never gets played anywhere where I go, and I've never really listened to it on my own. So I can't really mention any. I will say the one in the OP doesn't appeal to me because it (from what I listened to) used a lot of the obnoxious electronic sounds that I hate in mainstream modern pop, but I know not all rap is like that. I'm not completely closed-minded to the genre, I've just never heard anything of it that lead me to believe that it would be personally appealing to me.

I am an avid listener of rap country. :fiery:  *triggers the thread*

No seriously, I am a fan of music from about any genre so yea, I have favorite rap and country songs. But it's true I listen to one more than the other and that my friend, is country. :toldya: And rap/pop country? I bump it everyday in my subwoofer and have no shame. B)

For the most part, both are horrible. Both are pandering and soulless. We have incredible music in different genres like Ghost Love Score by Nightwish, which is a masterpiece, then we have "country" like "sHe ThInKs My TrAcToR's SeXy" and of course, that one is more popular in the US. Rap, for the most part, is just as bad. Talentless tools like "Takeshi" or whatever his stupid stage name is, people worship him and he was offered a contract while in prison. Gotta love that celebrity worship and it is worshiping someone who does nothing but garbage.

The music scene in the US has been dead for years, many years in fact.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I listen to like everything really not rap however I have listened to rap just more not my thing really. Though country I listen to from time to time when you live in the country side you connect with the lyrics I'm referring to classic country musicians but the musicians of today some of which are good.

Friend of mine living somewhere in I believe Texas no idea never asked just know he likes thing called countryrap or rapcountry? The music is like rapping but with country music from what he told me rather popular in the USA. So I listened to a few and I could get why he would enjoy it though. Like anyone that lives in the country side we all love guns, trucks, cars, driving and of course partying. Lot of country music is about that so you know it is easy to relate to it.

So some country musicians I enjoy would be John Denver, Blake Shelton, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Charlie Daniels there are many more. To truly appreciate country music you have to have at least some emotion towards it as a lot of country music is portraying that.

When they sing about their truck to normal people they are just singing about a truck. Living in the country side where a truck or a car is as much a part of your life as your husband or wife would be we share a deeper connection to our vehicle. They are not just singing about a truck they are singing about their truck and all the emotions it gives them. 

Somewhat like singing about your shotgun to most a shotgun is just a shotgun but in the country it is much more same with other guns people take great pride in their gun collections and love hunting so they are singing passionately about something only those who are passionate about would actually relate to. I'm sure any who live in the country side will love country music or do I mean even the song country roads has much deeper meaning to me then someone who has never even seen one haha. The mountains greeting you welcome home friend the country side is at a different pace. Others have 24 hours in their day here we have 48 hours in the day as we enjoy every minute much more.

So let me have a drive to this old town road, got a shotgun and a rifle in the back waiting to load. Today we are hunting with the bois, some deer or some beer. Living in the country having fun is what it's all about yee yee country yee yee.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 1

I like Country music, for example, Johnny Cash, Slim Dusty etc, but dislike rap. Not so much that I would immediately change the station if it came up on the radio, but I also do not go looking for it either.

11 hours ago, Fluttershyfan94 said:

So some country musicians I enjoy would be John Denver ...

For me, it's always weird when people say John Denver is country. I'm wanting to understand, because he sounds definitively Folk/Pop to me with some Country tinges. Is it because of the lyrics? I guess I don't listen to lyrics much, for me I enjoy music more for its sound, and John Denver, he is definitely not characteristic of Country in sound. For one thing, his vocal style, entirely different from Country. So much more soothing, so much more pleasing to listen to IMO.

Lets say, compare John Denver's Rhyme and Reasons (which I have a lot of songs from him that have the same sound and everything, so it is his style) to another Folk hit from the time:

11 hours ago, Fluttershyfan94 said:

To truly appreciate country music you have to have at least some emotion towards it as a lot of country music is portraying that.

That's a shame. People could try to say the same thing about Christian music over the centuries. I am a nonbeliever and have no 'emotion' toward Christianity, but love Christian music from all eras of Classical. Classical Christian music just has so much complexity and value to it aside from the Christian context, I suppose, but give me say Faure's Requiem and even though I am a nonbeliever I can feel the drama of the Libera Me movement being about a soul worrying about trying to be saved and go to Heaven, concluded with the overwhelmingly peaceful In Paradisum movement which is...well, Heaven. Just such fantastic writing, and the music itself conveys it so perfectly.

Okay, sorry... I love Faure's Requiem so much, I went off on a tangent. Lol.

What I'm getting from your post here is that Country music's value is in its lyrics, not its sound. That is bizarre to me. I have nothing against people appreciating lyrics, but music is so much more... And it's the music part of Country I can not stand. I personally am not bothered by Country lyrics (unless it is something completely cringe like "God Bless Texas"), or I guess I should say stereotypical Country lyrics, I'm sure there are Country songs out there are less innocuous. It's just the sound... The vocals, the everything.

I am not "Country", but was born and raised in a Country state. My parents both like Country music despite not being "Country" themselves.

Anyway, I'll conclude this post with the closest to Country song I listen to (It certainly has the vocal style at least):

@Envy I get what you mean though there are songs like "Take me home country roads" which is a classic country song and one of his songs is "Thank God I'm a country boy" though you're right his vocals are not like most other country singers but his texts are country but I would agree he is like some type of folk music/ country music.

Oh I mean I appreciate both the lyrics, the singing and of course the music itself but what I mean is if you can connect to the lyrics they have more meaning to you. Not to mention not all country artists sing only about country I mean like Willie Nelson although most known for country music had this type of song.

So that doesn't have much to do with country really yet he is perhaps the most known country artists. Though you know like with Christian music, I'm sure there would be some you could not relate to at all, so point being rather you enjoy more country songs as you relate to them. In a sense what I'm saying there are great country songs, there are decent ones but then there are ones you'd think are cringy yet to someone living in the country they would still appreciate the song just because you know they might be singing about your home state.

TLDR: There is a lot of country music most of which would be enjoyed by those living in the country side but there will always be those that everyone loves.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Fluttershyfan94 said:

@Envy I get what you mean though there are songs like "Take me home country roads" which is a classic country song and one of his songs is "Thank God I'm a country boy" though you're right his vocals are not like most other country singers but his texts are country but I would agree he is like some type of folk music/ country music.

I guess I can't even see Take Me Home, Country Roads as Country. It has a completely different feel to even still. Like even if it has Country influences, it is heavily on the pop side of the time, which I like.

As for "Thank God I'm a Country Boy", I just listened to it, and yeah, definitely not my cup of tea. However, it feels more Bluegrassy to me than it does Country. It seems like John Denver never really gets pure Country no matter what.

Well, to each their own. I ain't a country girl and can't ever see myself being one. I can't relate with anything country, in fact, I probably despise it a lot of it because I associate it with political conservatism, which sets out to deny rights to me and other groups that don't deserve it. So to me Country doesn't sound good, nor does it have good messages. But that's a generalization, I know.

Anyway, here's another point of discussion which I'm sorry, wouldn't even be coming up but... well, I'll explain: Why do I like Country Rock so darn much yet I completely despise Country? I just discovered this really obscure Country Rock song from the early 70s (with an unfortunate band name, ugh) and I love it (and I have liked Country Rock for a very long time):

It's like a combination of Country Rock and Southern Rock, two things that I most certainly should not like, but do.

Not a huge fan of these genres but I do listen and like some of the good songs from each rap and country.  I only appreciated country if it's blue or gritty. Rap is good too if it's not all about girls, money, and ass/tits. 

But I do love Gorailaz! mixed of indie, rock and hip hop rap. It's everything. 

Although there will always be the odd exception to a song here and there, I have to say overall, I'm not a fan of country or rap music. I like every other genre of music under the sun, but struggle with those two. I had to spend the first half of my teenage years sharing a room with a brother who would listen to "gangsta rap".  :unamused:

• Brohoof 1

Old country music - Sure, I'd listen to that

Modern country and rap? Hell no. Same goes for most of the pop music played these days. 

I'm more of a classic rock fan, anyways.

• Brohoof 1

@Envy I suppose we agree to disagree then. That said though I don't agree with political conservatism being the issue with country so although generally conservative that would be generalizing as you say. Personally I don't judge people for political opinion in fact being lgbt I encourage political diversity and living in the country side I see there being no such thing as trying to deny me or others rights. In fact if anything many of them are more pro LGBT as it is a small community so we know others who are and as such never witnessed someone trying to put another for that as doing so would have everyone against the person doing so. 

Schools however being cesspools of ignorance and hatred towards lgbt in my experience.

I see country rock being country though although subgenre of it.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Stone Cold Steve Tuna said:

country music they play nowadays is just bad pop.

Ouch!

I do like Johnny Cash, but that is not what I see as Country music.... Isn't he more like Rap? "There's a man (digi-digi) going 'round (digi-digi) taking names (digi-digi)" :wacko:

• Brohoof 1

20 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

do like Johnny Cash, but that is not what I see as Country music.... Isn't he more like Rap?

Cash was a person who took influences from many genres, and his music could be categorized as rock, country, rockabilly, gospel, folk, and blues. Not so much rap though. 

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Cash was a person who took influences from many genres, and his music could be categorized as rock, country, rockabilly, gospel, folk, and blues. Not so much rap though. 

That's what makes him so great. A real inspiration! :mlp_yeehaa:

1 minute ago, Super Splashee said:

That's what makes him so great. A real inspiration! :mlp_yeehaa:

Yep, I have several Cash shirts and actually hunted down his Funko as well. His version of Hurt was a masterpiece. 

Just now, Jeric said:

Yep, I have several Cash shirts and actually hunted down his Funko as well. His version of Hurt was a masterpiece. 

So what is you favorite song by him? (if you answer with "many", then I know you are a true fan :ButtercupLaugh:)

i really love John Denver and a few quite a few country songs individually, if it's well made, i'd give it a listen, as for rap, i find most of them quite lacking, i do love some parodies of it though

I can't say I am the biggest fan of either ones of these genres. If I had to choose I prefer rap. I like listening to Tupac, Biggie, Ice Cube...even modern rap music like Drake, Post Malone, LiL Lotus, Juice WRLD(RIP). I have kind of warmed up to rap a little more since Rock is virtually non-existent in the mainstream.