Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if the next generation is woke garbage?

Bendy

22 minutes ago, Bendy said:

Did you have to dig up this old thread?

Can someone lock this thread please. It's old. I don't want to see notifications of it every time I log in here.

Such a shame the topic is still relevant and not really I didn't really scroll thru very far at all I actually thought it was posted in recently but didn't see the date properly. Still dis year though. But fair enough

Edited by flurry
  • Brohoof 1

I wouldn't watch it if it gets infected. To many things have become corrupted. If its subtle and not the main focus then I would be fine I suppose, but I hate seeing woke garbage shoved in our faces.

• Brohoof 3

On 12/13/2020 at 1:50 PM, yungsparkle7 said:

not sure what you consider woke but idk either way i'd give G5 a try. We all should. 

If by woke you mean blatantly inserting a character that's supposed to be like a ''racist/homophobe'' or even D. Trump (like someone previously said), then yeah I would cringe to hell and back 

but if it's more like ''hey love is love, your gender identity is valid etc.'',p much telling the audience it's okay to be who they are, i don't see any problems with that

I think it depends on how they do it. I personally don't like preachy stuff in general even if i agree with the point.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I will not abandon the fandom, unless G5 is horrendous to the point of wanting to stake (or porkchop) it through the heart, burn it to ashes, and bury the remains at a crossroads so the vampyre does not rise again!!!

Actually is a recorded way of killing vampires according to folklore.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I sure hope it won't be. The last couple seasons of g4 were sort of leaning toward that, which gives me some concerns for g5. Plus, it seems that's the route many shows and movies go down these days. But who knows, maybe g5 will surprise me. I can't quite judge g5 because I know hardly anything about it. So I guess I'll just wait, and hope for the best.

(though if it is bad, I'll just stick with the g4 fandom and not bother with g5)

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, we got revelations about G5. However, among them are themes of inclusivity and diversity, and the main character being an activist. So those fears of G5 being woke shit are well founded :sunny:

https://kidscreen.com/2021/01/29/my-little-pony-rides-high-with-new-cp/

I'm going to watch the movie and make my own judgement no matter what, but the fact that they had to do this before they even told us anything about the main character's personality... :maud:

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, we got revelations about G5. However, among them are themes of inclusivity and diversity, and the main character being an activist. So those fears of G5 being woke shit are well founded :sunny:

Yikes, this is not a good sign; my expectations have definitely dropped. I'll still attempt to watch the movie to see for myself what it'll be like, but my hopes are not high. I had a bad feeling they'd go down this route with g5.

• Brohoof 2

On 1/29/2021 at 3:52 PM, Steve Piranha said:

I'll also withhold judgment until I see the movie, but given what's been going on these past few years I had a feeling I saw it coming. G4 was subtle with its lessons of diversity, but the next one looks to be anything but that. Changing focus from friendship to activism is surely sign of the times.

• Brohoof 3

On 5/18/2020 at 3:43 AM, Bendy said:

Can someone lock this thread please. It's old. I don't want to see notifications of it every time I log in here when someone digs it up. All that needs to be said is basically said here.

Well, I'm sorry to tell you, but this topic seems to be back. And for the worse, too.

The whole activism thing seems to be the red alert we were afraid of. I mean, wasn't equestria already open for all other creatures? Wasn't the school of friendship created for that sole purpose?

Perhaps G5 has amnesia about 3 whole seasons. Diversity was a thing by the end of FiM.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
8 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Well, I'm sorry to tell you, but this topic seems to be back. And for the worse, too.

The whole activism thing seems to be the red alert we were afraid of. I mean, wasn't equestria already open for all other creatures? Wasn't the school of friendship created for that sole purpose?

Perhaps G5 has amnesia about 3 whole seasons. Diversity was a thing by the end of FiM.

Let's hope we don't get forced fed women are superior. Men are evil. Alicorns are evil because they have immortality and alicorn privilege. Ponies are racist! Or even a long winded rants about how evil humans are. And intentionally make the ponies ugly to stop femininity, since beautiful women are part of the patriarchy somehow.

If so, we can never escape to a magical land in this new show. Where we can forget about the Earth and go some place else. If that be the case, I won't be writing human x pony romance stories in this new universe. What would be the point? It be just as bleak and hopeless as Earth. The human might as well had stayed on Earth.

Edited by Bendy
  • Brohoof 3

21 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

I can't help but be reminded of all the rabid fans calling for the last two seasons to be decanonized. It looks like one of them wished for that on a monkey's paw, and this is the "screw you" part of that wish.

22 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

I cannot speak for others, I can only give my opinion.

To me, there is a difference between a story that has whatever elements in it and blatant propaganda.

I'll try to explain, hopefully without making people angry. 

Probably the main thing is if I notice it without it being pointed out to me (basically, "I know it when I see it"). I can watch a story with main characters being women (one of my favorite game series, The Longest Journey, has mainly women as player characters) or gays or whatever. However, if those are blatantly obvious that those choices were made for political reasons thne I won't like it.

Some good examples (there are many more, but, as I said, the good part is that I do not notice it):

The Expanse - has "strong women" characters - a very competent leader, a soldier that can beat up a lot of people and an engineer who can fix pretty much anything and also beat people up. This does not seem in any way forced. So, even if those choices were made because of politics, it does not show. So, its done well.

MLP G4 - there are three races of ponies that were fighting each other in the past, but now are living together without any problems. Later seasons added non-pony characters as the "young six", but, to me this was not that blatant political move, so it gets a pass. To me, probably the episodes about Starlight's village came close to the line.

Now for a bad example:

Doctor Who - the new seasons made the Doctor regenerate into a woman (which actualy was done in a joke episode once), but that was not so bad as one episode - "Arachnids in the UK". Here you have a bad guy who, pretty much, is Donald Trump (wealthy businessman who builds hotels and such). At one point the "Trump" character shoots a giant spider and the show portrays this as something absolutely horrible. Now, the Doctor has a long-running dislike for guns and prefers to solve his problems, but his is a spider - a giant one, but still, a spider. Not an alien that looks like a spider, but an actual spider, just very big. Those spiders were killing people, by the way. The remaining spiders were killed anyway, just in a "humane" way. No mater how I look at it, this appears to be heavily influenced by real-world politics - the creators did not like Trump and tried to make the character to be really evit. Maybe I would have a better opinion of the same exact story if the episode came out a few years before Trump announced his candidacy. Then I would just have thought that the character just happened to look like him or something and would not notice it.

Earlier, I did not have problems with Doctor Who and Torchwood, despite them having gay characters etc, I am not agaisnt them, but that episode made me think about real-world politics and people while watching a sci-fi TV show that supposedly was not about politics (unlike, say, Babylon 5 or Deep Space 9 which have politics as one of the main elements of the stories). 

Any movie or show that advertises women or gay or whatever characters as a selling point. "Hey, look, we have a black actor playing a character that was always white", "Hey, look we remade an old movie, but now women are the main characters", "Coming, this summer, a brand new SciFi movie, where the main charaacter is gay". I do not know if it was serious or not, but at some point I saw the idea of having a woman play James Bond. Why? I'm perfectly willing to watch a movie about a woman secret agent, but why make the "hey, look, it's Bond, but now a woman is playing him"? Nobody is able to come up with a new character?

I don't really like the later seasons of MLP because it turned more and more into a "normalization story", which, if you think about it, is kind-of anti the whole "everyone should be themselves and not change because of the expectations of society" idea.

I don't know if this makes sense to you, I hope it does. I also hope that people do not become angry because of this post. If you want me to explain something in more detail - ask :twismile:.

• Brohoof 3

One more thing, If G5 is garbage, I will join the 40k community in knocking mlp, but do my best to knock the shows quality in a style remniscent of mst3k, not insult the people in the community. Insulting the people in the fandom and taunting them mercilessly is going too far.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Arvax said:

One more thing, If G5 is garbage, I will join the 40k community in knocking mlp, but do my best to knock the shows quality in a style remniscent of mst3k, not insult the people in the community. Insulting the people in the fandom and taunting them mercilessly is going too far.

I would at most, see if they put an interesting lore to complement FIM, but otherwise ignore it, and the fandom even more. I don’t see a reason to go out of my way to insult either.

Many won’t follow that advice if Fame and Misfortune is anything to go by, tho :dash:

• Brohoof 2

33 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Many won’t follow that advice if Fame and Misfortune is anything to go by, tho 

As poorly executed and a bit too cynical as that episode "Fame and misfortune might have been, it did point out that there are some people within a fandom who attempt to focus too much on the negative and not keep an open mind enough to look for the positive things to take away from something.

if I become interested in watching whatever generation 5 has for us, I'll watch it, for better or worse

what i meant is that i would make a riff track for the first few episodes. I have given up on the 40k community thing. As my brother said, there is no middle ground between loyalist and heretic, and I feel that the imperium is an uptight dungheap.   

Diversity. Inclusive. Those words are sound familiar. Wait, did G4 already do all that stuff already without telling that to our face? We got Student 6, a diversed group of friends from different culture and I love Yona, a brown Yak more than any member of the group and i didnt even realize they inject some 'Inclusive' stuffs. They sometime forget something called 'subtle' in their article, they just cant help themself. Still, I believe Hasbro know what they are doing with their franchise, Pony is their big title afterall. That, or if they dont know what they are doing then I can just go back to anime/manga because those Japanese people just want to give me some cool stories without shoving some 'activism' to my face. I love ponies and its positive messages about everything but please, a good story will sale. Always.

• Brohoof 4

26 minutes ago, Lambdadelta said:

Diversity. Inclusive. Those words are sound familiar. Wait, did G4 already do all that stuff already without telling that to our face? We got Student 6, a diversed group of friends from different culture and I love Yona, a brown Yak more than any member of the group and i didnt even realize they inject some 'Inclusive' stuffs. They sometime forget something called 'subtle' in their article, they just cant help themself. Still, I believe Hasbro know what they are doing with their franchise, Pony is their big title afterall. That, or if they dont know what they are doing then I can just go back to anime/manga because those Japanese people just want to give me some cool stories without shoving some 'activism' to my face. I love ponies and its positive messages about everything but please, a good story will sale. Always.

I think that people are afraid, exactly, of that activism you don't want shoved in your face. Nobody likes that. And I think that G4 survived long enough because it understood that shoving moral directives on people's faces wasn't a good idea. Honestly, I think that is something they will avoid in G5 because they would rather remain mostly apolitical.

I hate that I have to say this. Inclusivity shouldn't be something bad. If they want a gay character, that is awesome. The problem is that it seems that the medias are full of writers that want to give a moral message, but don't know how to do it without being too subtle or too intrusive.

Personally, I think that MLP sucks at diversity and I don't think that the Students are a good example. MLP never really had a different culture to represent. It was always the same 'pony culture' and other cultures always feel like a quirky version of the same. And that is why attempting something would immediately have seem trite or intrusive. How do you represent a homossexual in a world were it is utterly irrelevant. You do it with Scootaloo aunt(?) and it was completely irrelevant to the (bad) story they tried to tell. It could have been a male and a female living together and it wouldn't have influenced the story.

I think that is the worst we can expect from G5. If it even gets to that.

Honestly, I think that the episode that dealt with that in the best way possible was Zecora's. And that wasn't very good either.

• Brohoof 2

15 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

Diversity. Inclusive. Those words are sound familiar. Wait, did G4 already do all that stuff already without telling that to our face?

Not to mention the Mane 6 being diverse themselves: we got the nerd, the hyperactive party pony, the shy animal lover, the hammy fashionista, the down to earth farm horse, and the super tomboyish athlete :mlp_yeehaa:. But of course “diversity” these days are about more superficial traits :dash:

• Brohoof 3