Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if the next generation is woke garbage?

Bendy

1 hour ago, Sovereign Leader Rarity said:

If it's bad, then so be it. It's a cartoon at the end of the day, and I think that having perspective is important. I would love for it not be "garbage", of course, but FiM will still exist regardless so I won't lose sleep of any of this.

This is where I am right now too. People will complain and people will complain about people complaining no matter what. I will stand with my pones until the fat lady sings, but if she does, she does. The world is far too toxic right now to be assriding woke kid's cartoons or assriding people complaining about woke kid's cartoons. That fact does not discredit any good, fact-based arguments that have been made for legitimate concerns about G5's quality, but in the dark age of today, I will not devote my time and energy to something I can not prevent about a children's cartoon, I refuse. 

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

I'll never understand the whole "woke garbage" complaints some cynical people are dreading. To me, I just want to see these characters living their lives, for better or worse. 

• Brohoof 4

15 hours ago, HereComesTom said:

Actually, I have good reason to believe it won't be woke and preachy:

Good take, I still want to like this new generation, I really do. If it ends up being lamestream swill, I'm sticking with G4 fan content, that is all for now. I think that it's better we discuss this stuff again when more news comes out. 

• Brohoof 2

34 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Good take, I still want to like this new generation, I really do. If it ends up being lamestream swill, I'm sticking with G4 fan content, that is all for now. I think that it's better we discuss this stuff again when more news comes out. 

I agree.

• Brohoof 4

6 hours ago, Will Guide said:

I'll never understand the whole "woke garbage" complaints some cynical people are dreading. To me, I just want to see these characters living their lives, for better or worse. 

But this is exactly it. People want to see these characters living their lives, NOT spouting propaganda.

Now, for my experience, what exactly is 'woke garbage', depends. I have a fic where universal basic income is a thing. Is that 'propaganda', 'woke garbage' for you? For some people it is.

For me it is more a factor of it fitting the story or not.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
38 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

Now, for my experience, what exactly is 'woke garbage', depends. I have a fic where universal basic income is a thing. Is that 'propaganda', 'woke garbage' for you? For some people it is.

I can compare this with product placement in movies. I'm OK if a movie, set in the present, uses recognizable brands, it looks more weird when all brand names are hidden or altered (anime does this all the time, "DFLL" and such). However, there is a difference between a character drinking Pepsi and a character drinking Pepsi (with camera focusing on the bottle and the brand name) then talking about how good it tastes if there is no in-story reason for him to do so (somebody trying it for the first time would comment on the taste, but not somebody who has been drinking it for a while). Also, if the story is set in the past or some other universe (MLP, Star Wars), then seeing Pepsi would, to me, be a bad thing. What would be even worse is if the fact that characters drink Pepsi in the movie was focused on in the trailers and ads for the movie as if that was supposed to be the reason I would want to go watch it.

I could provide a better explanation, but that would probably start a debate which would probably be against the rules. Though if anyone wants to talk about that, I'm pretty sure we are allowed to do that in PMs :)

EDIT: And before someone tries to find some hidden meaning in this post - I meant characters literally drinking a carbonated drink of brand name "Pepsi" - nothing else.

Edited by Pentium100
  • Brohoof 4

On 2020-05-18 at 9:19 AM, Jeric said:

So much goes into why I find enjoyment in something, I can't say for certain. I enjoy the hell out of Duck Tales and enjoyed Steven Universe, and both had elements of progressive social commentary that some would call woke, but that is/was an artifact of the showrunner's world view, something that you will find in all art forms.  

THIS. I’m always so bad at forming opinions but this says what I was thinking.

But yeah, I don’t really understand the OPs concern. If it’s that it will be political then I’m sorry but I disagree with the view that all entertainment is political anymore. I don’t think that’s the case.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Politics have infected everything and it's pretty obvious to see. It may be less obvious to those who aren't opposed to, or offended by, the statements made, but it's there. In any case I don't like to see politics mixed with art. Even if I agreed with the POVs of the authors of the work, it's still bad art to use entertainment as a soap box. I'm against woke propaganda in all cases, so if G5 is saturated in it I won't be watching.   

Edited by Narcissus
  • Brohoof 7

2 hours ago, Narcissus said:

In any case I don't like to see politics mixed with art. Even if I agreed with the POVs of the authors of the work, it's still bad art to use entertainment as a soap box.

If the work is about politics as the main story or one of the main stories (The Expanse comes to mind, so does Babylon 5 - those shows feature politics as major story elements), then it's OK. What I don't like is a show that does not have politics as main story elements, but still has lots of real-world political messages mixed in, especially if the setting has nothing to do with the present/real world.

• Brohoof 3

• The topic was locked

After discussion with staff, it has been decided that this thread will remain open. However, talk of real world politics is disallowed and any posts mentioning such will be removed.

• Brohoof 6

• The topic was unlocked
11 minutes ago, The Wife of Hawks said:

After discussion with staff, it has been decided that this thread will remain open. However, talk of real world politics is disallowed and any posts mentioning such will be removed.

That’s rather surprising all things considered :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 3

21 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

That’s rather surprising all things considered :fluttershy:

Indeed, but I completely understand why it's been ruled that way. We can't just ignore the elephant in the room, and more importantly...no one wants to fight over this. We all have different beliefs here, but we're all bronies too. 

• Brohoof 4

Honestly, I stopped caring about the actual show at the end of season 4 in gen 4. So if gen 5 is trash, it really doesn't bother me too much.

• Brohoof 2

If G5 pulls "The Last Jedi" maneuver, I will not be happy. The last thing I want to see is something political in a show about pastel horses. With that said, I'm not going to let "what ifs" stop me from watching G5.

• Brohoof 6

• 4 weeks later...
On 2021-04-04 at 7:56 PM, EpicEnergy said:

If G5 pulls "The Last Jedi" maneuver, I will not be happy. The last thing I want to see is something political in a show about pastel horses. With that said, I'm not going to let "what ifs" stop me from watching G5.

I really must have missed something. How was Star Wars ever NOT political?

On 2021-02-03 at 12:17 PM, Steve Piranha said:

But of course “diversity” these days are about more superficial traits :dash:

It was exactly that in the Hearthswarming story.

Which begs the question, why not just base the show in that era if you want to tell such a tale, instead of shoehorning the same thing all over again far off in the future and conveniently pretending that Wendigos are a non-factor?

48 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

I really must have missed something. How was Star Wars ever NOT political?

As much that I’m not a fan of Star Wars, even I can tell they used to use political elements to build a story, not the other way around with a OP girl power fantasy for losers :proud:

52 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

It was exactly that in the Hearthswarming story.

1-it was within the context of the show

2- it was not merely superficial. Otherwise I might go super speed, white people shoot lasers or something 

3- they were all equally on the wrong

4- same as Star Wars

• Brohoof 1

Terms like "woke" didn't exist back when MLPFiM was airing, however we did have "SJW", and many of you may not know this, but FiM was considered to be SJW material by most of the boards on 4chan where our fandom started. That didn't dissuade the old fanbase back then, It most likely won't now. But please, if you disagree with the messaging of the next generation, please leave. Odds are you won't be missed, contrarians rarely are.

• Brohoof 2

I wonder if people replaced nounish identifier-adjectives like 'woke'/'SJW's for adjectives like sanctimonious if this whole debate would be less toxic :P 

Anyway, if pony became sanctimonious it would suck for me. I <3 the casual, friendly and understanding approach of the MLP community. That is definitely what attracted me to it in the first place. But that wouldn't change with a poor G5 - regardless of the what was wrong with it adjectively, but it would be a shame if G5 was poor.

Fortunately, the only way to describe the initial content for me is 'fun', 'furry' and 'fidelitylicious' - overall excited for it! :mlp_pinkie:

I'm going to watch g5 but I'm not THAT confident in it. I'm still very excited to see it tho! I just wish it was more... cute?? I like g4 bc it was alive and cute and had shapes and colors that made it cute! I'm just going to pay more attention to g4 and g3