Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming FF6: Espers or Eidolons? Mistranslation etc

Sparkleberry

Not to disrespect Ted Woolsey.. But his translations are dorky in old Square games, censorship and yeah.

But basically in FF4 and FF6 in Japan it is called Genju. In FF4 Eidolons are Genju. But in FF6 in english its Espers. Which is wrong.

Genju in Japanese literally means "Phantom Beast"

Here is wiki article on what an eidolon means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eidolon

Just saying if they wanna go with the original script. Why do they use Espers?

Are you asking why are the translations different from sub to dub? 

I don't much about Final Fantasy but I do realized that dialogues are different from sub to dub. Mainly because translating words from Japan to English could lead up to different meaning for English speaker. So instead of using "Genju" they would use "Phantom beast" as an example. I see that a lot with JoJo and their stands name. Partly due to copy right from a american's band or an song name. Like Kira's stand name is "Killer Queen" in japan sub but here in dub they changed it to "Deadly Queen" due to copy right. So I think it just depends on the culture when getting translated from sub to dub. I did noticed MHA does have a lot more cuss words compared to sub and along with other anime. Maybe western culture like using cuss words more than the japan does? could be.

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, TBD 🚬 said:

Are you asking why are the translations different from sub to dub? 

I don't much about Final Fantasy but I do realized that dialogues are different from sub to dub. Mainly because translating words from Japan to English could lead up to different meaning for English speaker. So instead of using "Genju" they would use "Phantom beast" as an example. I see that a lot with JoJo and their stands name. Partly due to copy right from a american's band or an song name. Like Kira's stand name is "Killer Queen" in japan sub but here in dub they changed it to "Deadly Queen" due to copy right. So I think it just depends on the culture when getting translated from sub to dub. I did noticed MHA does have a lot more cuss words compared to sub and along with other anime. Maybe western culture like using cuss words more than the japan does? could be.

Final Fantasy 6 is a video game, not an anime

14 minutes ago, Sparkleberry said:

Final Fantasy 6 is a video game, not an anime

I know... I was just talking about anime since I thought it’s one of the good example of why there’s a “mistranslating” from sub to dub. I don’t know the business why they changed between Esper or Genju  or whatever for FF. But as I said, sometimes translation are different depending who’s translating and how they mean it.

• Brohoof 1

As a big Final Fantasy fan, I can give you the scoop that it's actually not a mistranslation at all. :twi: Though the SNES version of VI called III had some weird quirks, like misspelling "Phoenix Down" as "Fenix Down", (tf), it's just that the names of the magical beings vary throughout the series. For example, they're just called Summons (or summoned beasts/creatures/who tf cares) in Final Fantasy III (the actual III) and V, Guardian Forces (GFs) in Final Fantasy VIII, and Aeons in Final Fantasy X. 

8 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

As a big Final Fantasy fan, I can give you the scoop that it's actually not a mistranslation at all. :twi: Though the SNES version of VI called III had some weird quirks, like misspelling "Phoenix Down" as "Fenix Down", (tf), it's just that the names of the magical beings vary throughout the series. For example, they're just called Summons (or summoned beasts/creatures/who tf cares) in Final Fantasy III (the actual III) and V, Guardian Forces (GFs) in Final Fantasy VIII, and Aeons in Final Fantasy X. 

It makes it hard to be consistent if they dont pick a word that make legit sense. FF8 was a unique game so whatever on that one :P. Maybe to them they are guardians. Point is they are Eidolons, thats all.

As others have pointed out, they keep on changing the names of the summoned creatures from one FF title to the next.  Given that each FF game (except the hyphenated series) takes place in its own Universe, I really don't see anything wrong with that.

• 8 months later...

Honestly I like the varying names for summons, as it makes sense that different worlds would have different names for a group of stronk creatures that can blast the ass off most monsters. It feels like it adds flavor to each game, and even those that share names allows for lore connections that may or may not be there.