Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So Whose Guarding The Dream Realm now?

Darkness Void

This isn't really a spoiler for S9, but just in case you haven't see all those Episodes be warned. 

Princess Luna walked the Dream Realm every night to help the creatures of Equestria solve whatever mental problems that's causing serious nightmares.

With her and Celestia retired there's a very important detail season 9 never brought up. With Luna's retirement does this mean nobody is doing this very important job?

Celestia did not do this job going with A Royal Problem. Twilight 'might' be doing it but I think I have a far better pony in mind that just might fit the job.

Temptest Shadow. With all of her hardships she would know how important it is to resolve these nightmares and it gives her a way to amend for her deeds in the past.

None of the Mane6 were revealed having this job. No pony did. But it can't just be thrown under the rug never to be resolved.

Do you have a character in mind that would do great in this job? Maybe there's an item to allow the magic akin to the sun and moon. Heck Cozy Tirek or Chysalis could had been perfect for this job.

I think Temptest would be great at it as it would give her a larger role and she is similar to Luna in regards that she came dangerously close to hurting a lot of ponies. So she fits that bill too. 

Who knows the comics might answer but I'm curious of your thoughts? I do hope this topic ends up in the right place. >_>

• Brohoof 2

The way I see it, Luna's job was always more of a propaganda fluff than an office of genuine importance.  I mean, there was no named pony patrolling the dreams before her birth or in time of her exile. Not to mention that non-pones don't seem to need such measures. If there is such a creature guarding the dream realm from some unspeakable eldritch horrors, then ponies are blissfully unaware of its existence. If you ever encounter this creature, make sure to toss it a coin or two.

• Brohoof 2

• The title was changed to So Whose Guarding The Dream Realm now?
2 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

The way I see it, Luna's job was always more of a propaganda fluff than an office of genuine importance.  I mean, there was no named pony patrolling the dreams before her birth or in time of her exile. Not to mention that non-pones don't seem to need such measures. If there is such a creature guarding the dream realm from some unspeakable eldritch horrors, then ponies are blissfully unaware of its existence. If you ever encounter this creature, make sure to toss it a coin or two.

Well look at Starlight's dream and how serious it got, plus Luna's 'creation' back in Do Princess Dream Of Magic Sheep.

• Brohoof 2

19 minutes ago, Darkness Void said:

Well look at Starlight's dream and how serious it got, plus Luna's 'creation' back in Do Princess Dream Of Magic Sheep.

Yet it was still just a dream, and the rest was Luna's fault. There was nothing born in the deep dark void beneath the collective consciousness of living things crawling out into the waking world to feast on souls and orphan tears. Remove Luna = remove all known dream threats, and tell ponies to walk it off like the rest of the world.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think they stop doing what their cutie marks say their talents are, Celestia's talent is controlling the sun, and Luna's talent is controlling the moon. Those are her own talents, in the case of Celestia, it is what she does in addition to being a ruler, in the case of Luna, as shown in A Royal Problem, she has no duty as a princess other than controlling the moon, walking in the dream world it was like a '' hobby '', it's not necessary at all, maybe Luna continues doing it or not, what I mean is that all that thing about ''princesses retire and give all their powers to Twilight '' It's ridiculous and irrational to me, Twilight is crowned ruler of Equestria for her ''leadership abilities'' and for the times she saved Equestria, and because being ruler of Equestria she would continue to form alliances with the other kingdoms, practically spread the magic of friendship around the world, in addition to run the School of Magic for Gifted Unicorns, why should she now also have powers to control the sun and moon (and also walk in the dream world)? Anyway, I don't think there is anypony  than Luna that can walk the dream world. 

[Excuse me if there is a misspelling, Google Translator is not always the best translator]

• Brohoof 1

38 minutes ago, Princess of Bolts 🔥 said:

Honestly we don;t know when Luna would die. So for all we know, she just continued with her dream duties despite retiring from her crown duties

And Celestia would raise the sun also?

What would Twilight Sparkle do then? Raise the stars?

It is a serious oversight by the writer to not explain who would do what after the princesses stepped down. >_>

• Brohoof 1

I am just going to copy/paste my post from the previous topic about Luna's dreamguardian thing since I am not in the mood of retyping all of that again since I have issues with that whole thing:

Honestly I hope Luna continues being Dream-guardian pretty much.

What else bothers me about her retiring is that apparently she has to give up raising the moon and being dream-guardian(both of which were essentially her freaking destiny according to her cutie mark) even though she didn't get to enjoy that destiny for much long since her return(like.. I think since a few years at most?). 
If she had to stop being dream-guardian and ultimately no consequences happen, it would make her job as patrolling dreams ultimately pointless in the end.(I know she helped others like the CMC in their dreams, but I mean like apparently Equestria would ultimately manage in the end without Luna's dreamwalking. It felt like her job as that is ultimately meaningless in the end due to that). It just felt like there should be a whole lot of issues from Luna retiring but the writers just ultimately brushed them aside..

(Something to add)
It would also lower Luna's importance as Princess of the night if her dreamguardian stuff was ultimately pointless. Especially since someone pointed out in Royal Problem that her duties is just raising the moon(something Celestia can do) and just dreamwalking.  That's it.  Its probably why Luna felt so bitter on not getting enough appreciation that led to NMM.
Really.. I wished the writers touched on Luna feeling like she ultimately didn't mattered due to all of these issues.  So much conflict they could have touched on.

(edited)
20 hours ago, nightshroud96 said:

I am just going to copy/paste my post from the previous topic about Luna's dreamguardian thing since I am not in the mood of retyping all of that again since I have issues with that whole thing:

Honestly I hope Luna continues being Dream-guardian pretty much.

What else bothers me about her retiring is that apparently she has to give up raising the moon and being dream-guardian(both of which were essentially her freaking destiny according to her cutie mark) even though she didn't get to enjoy that destiny for much long since her return(like.. I think since a few years at most?). 
If she had to stop being dream-guardian and ultimately no consequences happen, it would make her job as patrolling dreams ultimately pointless in the end.(I know she helped others like the CMC in their dreams, but I mean like apparently Equestria would ultimately manage in the end without Luna's dreamwalking. It felt like her job as that is ultimately meaningless in the end due to that). It just felt like there should be a whole lot of issues from Luna retiring but the writers just ultimately brushed them aside..

(Something to add)
It would also lower Luna's importance as Princess of the night if her dreamguardian stuff was ultimately pointless. Especially since someone pointed out in Royal Problem that her duties is just raising the moon(something Celestia can do) and just dreamwalking.  That's it.  Its probably why Luna felt so bitter on not getting enough appreciation that led to NMM.
Really.. I wished the writers touched on Luna feeling like she ultimately didn't mattered due to all of these issues.  So much conflict they could have touched on.

And Celestia realized just how hard her job was actually to do, and Luna had to do it all alone. I mean, it is dangerous if the saying "if you die in your dream, you die for real" applies to their world in some way.

5 hours ago, FlareGun45 said:

Why the heck are YOU getting all the replies, when I made this exact same post before you did? JUST recently? 

I honestly had no idea that existed. Believe it or not I was in your shoes at another forum. Maybe we could combine the two?

Edited by Darkness Void

• 3 weeks later...

Hey if they utilised the good guy comic King Sombra from the IDW series, assuming he still has access to his dark magics or he had just absorbed the evil Celestia and Lunas magics but retained some good inside him, I think he would make a damn good Dream Guardian, he's gone through nightmares to help Equestria by absorbing dark magic in an alternate realm, whose to say the current King Sombra wasn't good to begin with just like the alternate comic Sombra and that benevolent King Sombra isn't just hidden inside that shadowy form! (Honestly I prefer seeing Sombra this way, its the only way he seems to actually come off as a good villain otherwise he's generic cackle and bad)
1107167 - artist:starrynightpastelday, duality, eye contact, good ...