Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Ambition for Ascension

Loud Opinion

@Loud Opinion @ExplosionMare

Magnolia wouldn't scare at the sight that she had seen. She entered this reality with a supreme boldness and when she had entered the shadows seemed to submit to her like a servant would to a Queen. She looked down at Limbo and Starlight with a passing look and proceeded to lift them both onto her back. She was sure there would be some sort of entity here. The barber, or the Moth as he was known. Perhaps he was that skeleton pony nearby or maybe that was something else.

Regardless, with both Limbo and Starlight lifted onto her back she proceeded to bite her tongue as hard as she could. It wasn't pleasant that was for sure, she hated it but it had to be done. Sacrifices are a part of life after all, and life isn't a fairytale. It has pain. Sometimes blood. She had that emotionless glare on her face, one devoid of mercy or reason. She wouldn't scare, or be tempted by anything that she had found here. She had a mission.

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

@Califorum @ExplosionMare

Mr. Tongue had finished bandaging his foreleg when a new pain interrupted him. He felt as though his heart had mingled with a shard of glass. He did not falter, though. If anything, this was good news to the stallion. Not only had Magnolia found his charge, but it was swift enough to know she hadn't meddled with nowhere.

Focusing his soul on pleasantries and other such things that tether him to the living world, Silver dragged Magnolia to his reality. Like bate on a fishing hook, Limbo and Starlight followed suit, awakening at the temple podium with a start. Not a soul was there to greet them. Limbo felt as though she had awoken in the middle of the night from a bad dream. The shadowy corners of the candle-lit temple promised further horrors. She knew she was safe here, though, and breathed a sigh of relief. She looked over at Starlight with an appreciative smile and rested a hoof on her shoulder. It was finally over.

Magnolia, meanwhile, opened her eyes to meet Mr. Tongue's curious gaze. The cold earth had surrounded her but spared her face. A carefully maintained crater allowed air to Magnolia's vulnerable respiratory system.

"Enjoy your trip to the great beyond?" Silver coyly asked as he readied his shovel to excavate Magnolia.

@abrony-mouse

On the streets of Ponyville, Fuchsia's unexpected interlocutor couldn't help but feel even more isolated. In easier times, she would appreciate Fuchsia's concern, but malevolence was at her door. In a way, it was liberating. She couldn't see it as anything more than hollow pleasantries. Fuchsia not having any context was probably the best she could hope for. If Fuchsia had understood, it would mean she couldn't help. Otherwise, it wouldn't have happened in the first place. Worse yet, Fuchsia could have been in on it. The mare could be comforted that the worst had not come to pass.

The mare managed to stand, though not straight enough to call herself dignified. "How much time do you have? I know a late-night dinner we can talk over," She offers before clearing her throat, "My name's Octavia, by the way."

• Brohoof 1

@Loud Opinion

Starlight blinked, unsure where she was. One moment she was avoiding the gaze of a horrifying skeletal bird, the next she was back at Limbo’s side as if nothing had happened to her. She wanted to express her confusion, but Limbo’s comforting reassurance made her forget about anything she was previously apprehensive of. She smiled at Limbo in appreciation for her kindness.

“Thank you, Limbo Dreams,” she said to her friend. “I don’t know what happened back there, but it no longer matters now that we are together again. As long as we are all united, we will no doubt be able to face other challenges that come our way. The power of Equality is stronger than any dark force we may encounter,”

Preaching to Limbo was quite enjoyable to Starlight. Unlike everypony else she encountered, Limbo always seemed interested in the True Philosophy. Of course, the others would learn in time. Some ponies accepted their fate later than others, but that did not make them any less equal.

Speaking of the others, Starlight could not seem to locate Magnolia or Mr. Tongue. They must not have entered the strange place her and Limbo were in. Concerned, Starlight asked Limbo,

“Where are the others? Did they not come with us?”

As she waited for an answer, she remembered that her Cutie Mark was still exposed thanks to Magnolia. Swiftly, she teleported in her makeup kit and trotted off to the side somewhere where Limbo wouldn’t see. She hastily applied the purple and black power to both flanks until her equal sign returned. She let go of a breath she didn’t know she was holding once she was finished. In the future, she would have to be very careful about where she stood around ponies.

• Brohoof 2

It took a second for Magnolia to realize where she were. She opened her eyes and felt her body being in the dirt with only her face sticking out. Her honestly, quite beautiful magenta eyes turned to Silver in amusement before in an almost 'flash' of darkness occurred, and her body faded away into a dark mist which flowed out of the hole like water would through a pipe. The darkness swirled around Silver's Legs and he could feel its cold embrace. It might be an attempt to intimidate. The swirling dark mass flowed over to the entrance to the temple and assumed a ball shape, that then shifted into Magnolia's form and like water flowing off a rock in the stream, her pristine body was unveiled.

This were also to get the dirt off of her as well. As any dirt would not be carried with her. Solid forms can't be carried with shadows. She stood there with a strange look on her face as she looked to the coy stallion. "I did what I had to do. It wasn't enjoyable. It was quite...strange I have to say." she said in more of an honest tone. She put her hoof on the door,  but did not open it yet. Instead her gaze was kept on Silver Tongue.

• Brohoof 3

On 2/7/2021 at 4:50 PM, Loud Opinion said:

On the streets of Ponyville, Fuchsia's unexpected interlocutor couldn't help but feel even more isolated. In easier times, she would appreciate Fuchsia's concern, but malevolence was at her door. In a way, it was liberating. She couldn't see it as anything more than hollow pleasantries. Fuchsia not having any context was probably the best she could hope for. If Fuchsia had understood, it would mean she couldn't help. Otherwise, it wouldn't have happened in the first place. Worse yet, Fuchsia could have been in on it. The mare could be comforted that the worst had not come to pass.

The mare managed to stand, though not straight enough to call herself dignified. "How much time do you have? I know a late-night dinner we can talk over," She offers before clearing her throat, "My name's Octavia, by the way."

Fuchsia is relieved as the pony calms down, and she reaches for the pony, patting her dignified back to reassure her and helping her up, hoping she stays better :3 She sees the other pony reading her and wonders what is on her mind - this is clearly not a crazy-pony. Something has happened to her! Fuchsia's manticore roars with glee as her path becomes clear.

"Sure Octavia." she says, still trying to be reassuring. "And don't worry - I've been all over so I've heard all sorts of tall tales. Most of 'em are true." 

"Anyway, well met. Name's Fresh Breeze!" Fuchsia lies reflexively. A weak moniker for an earth pony perhaps, but she didn't want it to be strong. Her real name was one more thing this new 'Octavia' and her could learn together >:3 "Lead on."

• Brohoof 3

@ExplosionMare @Califorum

Mr. Tongue, being a stallion of the quill, was not impressed with Magnolia's impudent display of power. "As a hexologist, I know how it feels to be around ponies who don't run away in fear. It's a rare feeling, one that I saver- but," Silver quipped, "Dark magic doesn't help endear us to the masses. Your skills are invaluable," Silver paused as his hoof reached the door "Just try to show some restraint when we're with the unenlightened is what I'm asking."

With a shove and an unhealthy sounding pop from Mr. Tongue's leg, the doors swung open. Well, they didn't swing so much as they stubbornly creaked out of the way.

"Mr. Tongue must have used a communion ritual," Came Limbo's echoed voice from inside, "It must have been so frightening back there! I'm sorry you had to see that. We can host a dinner after-party if you'd like?"

"You two owe Magnolia a lot of gratitude," Silver announced, interrupting Limbo's explanation as he strode down the aisle, "She put a great deal of unearned trust in me for the chance to save you!"

"That was nothing but reckless Limbo," Silver scolded at a slightly lower volume now that he was closer, "What would you have done if Magnolia was not willing to risk her life on my word alone?"

@abrony-mouse

Octavia took a sip of her coffee, thankful that Oregano-To-Go carried such exotic drinks. The stiff seating did little to comfort her, but the fireplace picked up the slack. A comforting contrast to the brisk night air.

"It all started a few weeks ago when I started having these bazaar, horrific dreams," Octavia began with a shake of her weathered head, "A temple, a green stallion, and a sheep. They would interrogate me with questions I could never remember. Then I would find myself playing my cello for an upper-crust party. Sometimes my hair would be used to garnish the dishes, sometimes I would be dancing instead of playing, sometimes I would-" Octavia was halted by an urge to wretch --the thought of utensils cutting through flesh proved too much for the poor thing-- before steeling herself, "Sorry. I think you get the picture. Anyway, I went to the temple in person, and there they were. I just know they are behind my dreams, and now they know I'm on to them."

"Oh, I know they're just waiting for me to fall asleep again," Octavia began to despair again, "What are they planning for me? How am I ever going to have another good night's rest?!"

"Sorry," Octavia composed, "but surely you can understand my plight?"

• Brohoof 2

@ExplosionMare @Loud Opinion

Magnolia had shot an almost enraged glare to Silver Tongue upon the words 'risking her life'. Silver Tongue had not told Magnolia about that. She had a problem with that stallion anyway, he never gave her straight answers. It always seemed like a roundabout metaphor for something else. She didn't like that one bit, but this was worse...it was her life after all. Her face did not bear one of thankfulness but rather of betrayal and rage. With a steady, almost marching pace she marched up to Silver Tongue like a soldier would to their enemy.

With a cold, intense and harsh glare that they hadn't seen yet she looked directly into Silver Tongue's eyes and spoke, "You didn't tell me I was going to risk my life for that, did you?! While I...would have, the fact that you didn't tell me is downright insulting! Watch what you'll say around me, will you?" she took a more harsh tone and way of standing there for a bit after she spoke before sighing. As she yelled at Silver Tongue, the shadows around her took more of a pointed and geometric form.

"I didn't trust you one bit! All I wanted...was for her to be safe." Magnolia pointed to Limbo. Limbo was the only one she legitimately cared about here. It may be obvious, it may not be. However it was the truth, Limbo was the only way Magnolia could get wings. It's not that she was only caring just for that, but also for the gratitude of such a chance to achieve what she had dreamed of for so long. She glares to Starlight there, expecting another spiel about 'Equality'. Her dismissive look towards Starlight spoke all she wanted to speak towards her. She had noticed that Starlight hid her cutie mark again, and she didn't like that one bit.

• Brohoof 2

@Loud Opinion

Fuchsia nodded sympathetically as the poor mare recited her tail. She could tell the poor thing was at her wit's end, and genuinely seemed to be persecuted by something. Her hackles rose at the thought of evil ponies or creatures using her in some nefarious scheme. In her travels she had heard of tails of beings that preyed on vulnerable minds, waiting for ponies to sleep and then feeding on them - changelings could do similar things and she had heard tales of Luna's mind being affected that way - so she did not simply dismiss the story. 

Her immediate concern though was the pony in front of her. She seemed to be convinced that if she slept her mind would be invaded. Fuchsia couldn't let that happen, but she didn't have anything on her that could break mental influence - if that was even what was occurring - and didn't know that she could get help quickly enough in the town. 

She rubs her temples with her hooves as she's thinking, out of habit. "I understand... and let's say there is a temple, a stallion and a sheep who can influence you. Do you know why they might want you, or why you might be susceptible to them?"  she asks, while her Manticore angrily paces the contours of the strange problem that had fallen into her furry pony lap.

• Brohoof 2

@Califorum @Loud Opinion

Starlight smiled at Limbo’s suggestion of a dinner after-party. After what they had just been through, a celebration was more than deserved for their safe return. Starlight was about to offer her gratitude to the pony she had initially believed had saved them: Mr. Tongue. In a strange turn of events, however, it was not Mr. Tongue who had saved them—it was Magnolia.

“M-Magnolia saved us?” she sputtered, looking at the blue unicorn in disbelief.

Starlight couldn’t fathom why Magnolia would save anypony, especially her. She expected that the hostile pony would’ve ditched her in order to avoid another mention of Equality. By some miraculous change of heart, however, Magnolia decided to put her rivalries behind her. At least, up until she felt that Mr. Tongue had put her in danger without telling her.

Well, it was a start. Magnolia was learning to become a better pony even if she hadn’t realized it. Starlight smiled to herself, knowing that Equality truly did have the power to warm the most coldest of hearts. She was about to commend Magnolia for her efforts in a way that would make her sound like she was already following the hoof steps of an equal pony. However, Starlight knew that would only put the mare back where she originally was. Instead, she settled with a simple thank-you.

“Thank you for saving us, Magnolia. We both truly appreciate it,”

Starlight mentally giggled. That was sure to throw Magnolia off.

• Brohoof 2

"Yes," Silver admits, "my need to see Miss. Dreams safe can blind me to the consequences others have to suffer. I assumed you expected such a risk after what you witnessed in the Wood.

"However, I'd hate to make this all about me after the heroism the both of you have shown today. You showed great courage, and we would like to reward you, say, over dinner?"

Limbo Dreams nodded in agreement; ready to change the focus off of the harsh direction things were going in, "Exactly what I was thinking. Tomorrow we'll be hosting a five-course dinner followed by a toast. That's all. No hostile environments and no life-threatening beings from other worlds. Just us, our accomplishments, and an opportunity to discuss how we feel after what we've gone through. Mr. Tongue," Limbo past.

"Yes," Silver picked up, "I've arranged some of the best lodgings that Ponyville has to offer. Luxury for all but the most spoiled of nobles."

@abrony-mouse

Octavia searched for a through-line. Anyone that may know about her, let alone resent her. "Well, I'm a famous cellist. Though, that doesn't mean much if you're not a composer. If they know me through my work it would have to be one of those. If not then it could be anypony from here or Canterlot. Whatever they do I always end up in one piece, so they don't want me gone. Maybe a noble with eccentric guests to please.

"Great, that narrows it down to all of Canterlot," She said with a low face. "Oh, it's hopeless, isn't it?" She said more than asked as her head fell to the table in defeat. She was already so tired. Who knows how long it would be until she had to rest her eyes again.

• Brohoof 2

Magnolia stood there in disbelief at what they had both said. Magnolia was only told by others that she was worthless, and a pathetic waste of air. She was nothing. She was always nothing. She would never be anything. Thats what she heard all in her youth, and she looked at Starlight with disbelief. Her eyes softened slightly however she glared Starlight in the eye. Her words would never change Starlight, nor would Magnolia submit to Starlight's words. She didn't reply to Starlight, instead choosing to let silence do the talking for her. Starlight was only trying to abuse and manipulate her, at least, in her eyes. 

Her eyes softened again as she looked towards Limbo and Silver Tongue. They were telling the truth, at least Magnolia could tell. They weren't trying to manipulate her, unlike Starlight. She didn't know what to say really, she hasn't heard those words from anyone before. She stammered slightly, and found it hard to keep up her harsh demeanor there. "I-I...d-don't deserve that..." Magnolia spoke in a more...anxious tone. She had never deserved anything. She always felt that she never did, because of the way she was mocked in her youth. And yes, even abandoned by her own parents. 

@Califorum @Loud Opinion

“As Limbo Dreams mentioned to me earlier, dinner would be wonderful. It would be a perfect chance for us all to bond,” she replied to Mr. Tongue. As she said the word bond, she glanced over at Magnolia, directing that word towards her.

While Magnolia was busy staring holes through everypony, Starlight took notice of her body language. It almost seemed that from the looks of things, her harsh demeanor was merely an act to cover up what was otherwise meek behavior. Starlight empathized, remembering how she acted nearly the same way as a foal. Now that Starlight could begin to understand the unicorn better, she was now confident that she could form a true friendship with this pony.

Starlight’s facial expression shifted when Magnolia began to stammer, much to her surprise. Normally, she was very careful and direct with her words. This was a perfect opportunity for Starlight to talk to the unicorn the way she wanted to. No arguments, no shouting, just a normal, friendly exchange of words.

“You do deserve it, Magnolia. Everypony deserves kindness from a friend. This will be an excellent opportunity to get familiar with one another. Not to mention, we have been through a lot as of recent, so a break will help us relax before we continue our journey,” she spoke, refraining from the urge to monologue heavily like she normally would.

Magnolia looked to Starlight, her softened eyes turned to more of what she was before, she did a slight scoff. She rolled her eyes slightly as her more meek and nervous character seemed to flow away. If Starlight were particularly observant the shadows at Magnolia's hooves would take more of a pointed character. "Hmph. As if I ever wanted to be friends with you. I find your words as hollow as your lies." Magnolia started to pace around Starlight, like a shark would around their prey.

"I can see right through you, darling...you and I may have a connection after all. It is not so hidden as you want it to be. We share something, dear...and if you keep it up with your lies and delusions, it will never be revealed." Magnolia stopped pacing and faced Starlight directly in the eyes, with a more of a sarcastic, cruel, and harsh glare rather than pure stoicism of before. "And as for my something you will never know until you are true to yourself. True to who you are." Magnolia extended a hoof, smacking Starlight's chest. If she were paying attention she smacked across Starlight's heart. She spoke in a dripping, condescending way, but yet one that also reigned true. 

"Or will you continue to hide yourself behind...this shameful mask?" the shadows swirled and smacked off Starlight's make up on both sides of her flanks. It was so fast, cold, and it left a slight pain as the smack occurred. "Everything starts somewhere, after all." Magnolia huffed and stood there stoically and with a huff she added, "Do me a little...reward in itself and just think for once! You would probably say that I am...hiding something as well. And that is quite true, although I don't intend on telling you. If we were at any other place, you'd be lets just say, in a different state of mind. But alas, I am the reason you are standing before me. I-I don't require anything...I-I don't deserve it..." as she finished, there was a blue flash in a sweeping motion across Magnolia's eyes. Within her pupils, was a blackness like that of none other. Not even a glint across the surface of her quite beautiful eyes. She stammered again, trying her hardest to keep that part of her suppressed.  

• Brohoof 1

@Califorum

Starlight winced as Magnolia swiped her near her heart and on both flanks again. A blush rose on her cheeks, not due to embarrassment, but due to the stinging pain that arose from her body. She clutched at her heart and instinctively wanted to hide her real Cutie Mark. However, at this point, hiding wouldn’t make a difference.

She listened with gritted teeth as Magnolia once again attempted to tear down all of Starlight’s defenses. Her gaze returned to its usual icy cold glare, disappointingly. Starlight sighed through her nostrils at her failure. Perhaps if they were at her village, Magnolia would not be as difficult of a pony as she is here. She was immediately pulled from that thought when the unicorn mentioned that, somehow, she did have a connection to Starlight. She mentioned how she had her own little secrets to hide, which caused her to reveal her weaker self again. Naturally, Starlight took the opportunity to speak now that she had a chance.

“What I know is the pure, absolute truth. You may not believe it yet, but I am not wrong. It would be much better, admittedly, if I could teach you back in my village,” she stated. The more she spoke, the more subsided the throbbing on her chest became.

“I am being my true self because I am following fate. I learned to sacrifice everything and to act purely out of friendship, as I was meant to do. Eventually, you will understand what this feels like. There will be a day where you don’t have to hide your feelings with distrust and anger,” she said, offering a warm smile. The pain in her chest had faded.

She thought about offering a hoof, but felt that physical contact would only escalate Magnolia’s anger further. Instead, she slowly trotted towards Magnolia until she was close enough if the unicorn did want a hoofshake or a hug or something like that. Starlight wanted to be there for Magnolia and support her, just like she was for the ponies in her village.

• Brohoof 2

21 hours ago, Loud Opinion said:

@abrony-mouse

Octavia searched for a through-line. Anyone that may know about her, let alone resent her. "Well, I'm a famous cellist. Though, that doesn't mean much if you're not a composer. If they know me through my work it would have to be one of those. If not then it could be anypony from here or Canterlot. Whatever they do I always end up in one piece, so they don't want me gone. Maybe a noble with eccentric guests to please.

"Great, that narrows it down to all of Canterlot," She said with a low face. "Oh, it's hopeless, isn't it?" She said more than asked as her head fell to the table in defeat. She was already so tired. Who knows how long it would be until she had to rest her eyes again.

Fuchsia considers, wishing the coffee in her hoof was something stronger :P As Octavia was speaking about being a musician, the idea occurs to her that it could be song-based magic - she had heard of Sirens who used such magic.

Fuchsia pats the mare encouragingly, "There there, I want to help you - we'll get to the bottom of this."  

"I think we have three options: 1) We confront these beings in the temple and ask them to stop, 2) We try to break their influence over you, 3) We wait and gather evidence - starting from the next time you fall asleep again - I will follow you and see if anything happens. I'm not strong enough for 1) or 2), but maybe you have friends who could help with that? 3) puts you in danger again... but it's our best bet for now without help." she suggests. She could hear the admonishing tone of her mom Roseberry telling her off for rushing into things. But her instinct was that something big was up with this Octavia... and if she was the sort of mare to doubt her instinct she'd have just stayed on the farm with Roseberry :3 

• Brohoof 4

Mr. Tongue and Limbo Dreams both locked their eyes on the strike Magnolia made. They shared a look and came to a decision. Physical attacks, no matter how innocuous, were dangerous to leave uncorrected.

However, her target was Starlight. Limbo knew that, at this rate, Starlight could easily outpace Magnolia as a physical threat. Heart was a difficult thing to surmount, and Starlight was no slouch when it came to traditional magic either. At least, that's what Silver heard from Limbo. If Magnolia keeps providing such effective resistance, Starlight will have no problem mastering the aspect of Heart and becoming an invaluable asset.

"Magnolia," Silver stated once the conversation slowed, "I will warn you once. Turning on your peers is a line we don't cross... and survive.  Bickering keeps the mind sharp, but what were you expecting our reaction to be when you physically hurt Starlight?" Silver asked, his wrinkles seemed to multiply in proportion to his ire, "Applause? Silence? Or are you looking for a fight?!

"Do not test me with your roundabout games! If you wish to put a pony in their place, and you do not trust your words alone to do the job, then ask one of us for guidance. We would have told you about dueling, but you, in your infinite wisdom, decided to mess with her physically. 'What could go wrong with doing whatever I want to someone that just got out of nowhere? A place I don't understand in the slightest.'

"That line of thinking is irresponsible," Silver let out a snort, then cracked a wry smile, "Which is why I'm challenging you right now. You haven't fully forgiven me for my omissions, and I have found a grievance of my own. We put this to rest tonight! The Grail is hungry."

Limbo looked impressed with Silver. She had expected a warning that Magnolia would promptly ignore. Now, no matter who won, tomorrow's dinner won't have any grief looming overhead. Limbo then remembered that Magnolia had no idea how to respond to a challenge. She leaned into her ear, trusting Magnolia's respect for her to keep her safe, "He wants to duel you. To accept, you say: 'The watchman stirs'. To deny, you say: 'My sword is sheathed'. Oh, and to start a challenge, you say what Silver just said," Limbo then giggled, "Good luck, and have fun!"

She then trotted over to Starlight with an excited smile on her face, "Oh, I hope she accepts. Duels are so fun to watch!"

@abrony-mouse

Octavia felt relieved. Relative safety: something she had been silently begging for all night was right here. Her assailants would have no idea someone would be helping her. Even if Fuchsia couldn't help in the end, she could at least tell the story allowing others to help. But, most important of all, she wasn't alone in this.

With a weary smile, Octavia nodded, "So long as somepony has my back, I think I can bring myself to sleep tonight. Thank you."

The chilly night outside was still intimidating, but no longer did it hold a supernatural dread. Octavia could practically hear the warm serenade of a violin-piano duet as her hope returned to her.

• Brohoof 1

@Loud Opinion @Califorum

Starlight smiled contently, glad somepony else besides her noticed Magnolia’s disruptive and violent behaviors. She was pleased to know that she didn’t have to deal with the blue unicorn alone. Just like a true friend, Silver was there to help her in a time of need. Since Silver was spending a great deal of time reprimanding Magnolia, Starlight simply mouthed a “thank you” so he could continue his conversation.

Everything was fine until there was a challenge announced for a duel. Starlight’s jaw dropped, but to be polite, she covered her mouth with a hoof. She stood rigid at the thought of two potential friends fighting each other. She had fought physically with ponies before, and it had been ugly. She would hate to see anypony being reduced to a blob on the floor. Intervening, Starlight got between Silver and Magnolia and cried,

“No, you two! There is no need to fight! I ask you to find a more peaceful solution to your problems! Fighting will only lead to disaster for one or both of you. Do not let the rage your differences stir in you lead to harm. Work through your differences calmly so you can find common ground,”

When she was finished speaking, she took a step back in order to not get caught up between any crossfire. Nervously, she bit her lip in fear of how Silver and Magnolia would react. Her assumption was that they would not react well, at least at first. This thought of hers was disrupted when Limbo whispered to her excitedly, encouraging the duel. In a stern but low voice, Starlight told her,

“It is unwise to encourage them. If they choose to handle their differences this way, destruction will occur. They must learn to move past their conflicts and learn to agree with one another,”

Magnolia promptly ignored Starlight's words. Starlight's words were now dust in the wind, compared to what Silver Tongue had just stated. She met his eyes with an extremely cold, callous, yet an also respectful glare. She admired this stallion's bravery to assert his ways over those in the area. It was an ability that she had within her, however she did not like his coy words. That is what offended her to the core, however she was expecting to duel Starlight out of anyone here. 

Magnolia looked to Limbo, and her expression softened somewhat as she looked into Limbo's eyes, and then with a slight nod, she did a small genuine smile to Limbo and looked into her eyes for a second as acknowledgment she did a slight nod. Then her eyes met Silver Tongue's eyes without hesitation and then spoke, "The watchman Stirs. It is not you I have a supreme problem with. However, if you wish to confront me and lie to my face when my life was on the line, then I will so gladly put you where you belong." she said coldly to him, her cold words dripping out of her mouth with punctuality. 

"Infinite wisdom? I have none of that. That is why I am here. But I can not advance so long as this one..." she gestured to Starlight. "Keeps trying to manipulate me to give up my livelihood and my mark for what? A lie? A delusion!?!? I will not fall prey to this, and neither shall you! If you don't understand where you just sent me to where I could have lost my life?! And you don't even tell me about that! Yet, I did so graciously!" Magnolia said with a scowl that matched Silver Tongue's ire.

"Do you not understand that every individual that walks this world is unique, in their hopes, goals, and desires? And paths of life? I will not give up who I am, for anyone! Let that be known! I would rather die as I am, than live as I am not." the way she spoke was sure to send chills up their spines. She truly believed in her words and would never falter on them. And pain or weakness she had shown previously is now gone. Replaced by an almost sense of valor and honor, almost.

"My true quarrel is not with you, but if you want to face me, then so it shall be." Magnolia bared her teeth like a wolf. She was now a predator, but after all, she was not going to kill him. That was not what she wanted. She never wanted to kill anyone, truthfully. Just make them reconsider their place, and their words. 

And upon Starlight's words there, Magnolia shot an oppressive glare. "Close your mouth, and stop talking. This is the way it is, and this is the way it will unfold. Perhaps silence will teach you a lesson you'll never learn otherwise." she stomped her hoof to emphasize her point.

@Loud OpinionFuchsia sees Octavia relax and is relieved, but in her head her Manticore is dashing after possibilities - all hesitation about adventure forgotten. Sirens, changelings, mystical void beings... ponies had so many foes and something arcane and evil hung over this Octavia. A temple, a green stallion and... a sheep? Why a sheep. Evil temples and unicorns were things she was familiar with, but a simple friendly sheep? The farm over from hers had actually herded sheep, and she had played with a few lambs as a filly :3 They were a bit slower than ponies and more critterish - sentience was a funny thing in Equestria. I mean, everypony knew animals had a secret language and talked with each other. Even some insects like wasps or ants. But then there were butterflies - were they really sentient? Anyway sheep were definitely sentient... but the incongruity of one appearing in this chilling story gave her the creeps. 

Fuchsia shakes herself out of her musings and focuses on what Octavia had said :P 

"Glad I can help. First, let's go back to your place" she suggests. "If they come for you when you're sleeping then maybe they left some clue there? If not, at least you can get some shut eye." 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

As Magnolia uttered her response, a layer of salt encircled both of them.

Silver could see the pattern. Magnolia neglects to ask questions because that would jeopardize her confidence. She leaps into action. Then she blames others when she finally finds out what she was risking.

It was comforting to see the pattern. Every time Silver pieces together the puzzle of another ponies psyche, it added to his confidence.

"You never asked if you were in danger. You never asked if Starlight was safe to interact with. You never asked how we felt about Starlight. It is your confidence that is getting in your way, not me! That is beside the point, though. Now is where our perspectives clash and see which of us walks the more successful path."

Limbo, meanwhile, didn't keep her smile. She had expected Starlight to be excited to see something so unique to the old ways. Duels were almost unheard of in the modern world; Mostly practiced in the dark arts. Limbo herself had only seen a single duel in her entire life.

"Oh, please don't worry. When you see the way Silver fights, you'll understand. Cleaning a wound is painful, but it has to be done quickly. You wouldn't want tomorrow's day of celebration to be spoiled by resentment."

"If you care about not fighting, then you should take notes. Win or lose: I don't think Magnolia is going to be satisfied when she's done with Mr. Tongue. I don't doubt for a second that she'll challenge you at the first chance she gets."

"The rules are simple," Limbo announced, "If either of you leaves the ring, then they lose. If either one of you is too injured to fight, then the duel ends in a draw. To surrender, you say: 'Lion's game!'. Good luck."

@abrony-mouse

Octavia let her shivers subside when she opened the door to her residence. In hindsight, a roommate would have been very useful as a lone mare in a new town, but she couldn't give up the idea of complete privacy.

"The rest of the orchestra is going to feel quite vindicated after word gets out about this." She said with a hoof rubbing her temple as she entered. She held the door for Fuchsia. On the door, a very deliberate-looking marking was close to the hoof, drawing attention.

The inside of the small house was very lacking in decor. A single chair next to another door, a coat rack, and a minimalist chandelier were all that occupied the purple room. Clearly, she doesn't get many guests.

• Brohoof 2

Magnolia snarled like an angry boar at Silver Tongues response, and silently acknowledged Limbo’s declaration of the rules.

She was fuming with anger. Not just anger but pain. It all had to come from somewhere. Her youth. She tilted her head to the side slightly. “Do...you even know what it is LIKE to be worthless...?” she would ask with a slight pace to the left. She couldn’t hide the pain in her voice. It was too deep of a pain to hide. Not even she could hide it. 

She bore a grin. A pained grin. It was to the point where she could only smile at her pain like she was looking in a mirror, mocking her own reflection. “My whole life...worthless...at least thats what they all told me! Beat me to the ground...abandoned me! What remains is as you see...” she spoke truthfully, more pained than her words before.

”Being left with...NOTHING reveals the true you...the you you always were...I was abandoned by those who cared! All the pain...all the sorrow....gave way to ambition...my ambition for ascension!” she would take a stance as the shadows swirled around her and black shadowy wings formed around her back. Then, they unfurled like a Raven’s wings. 

“Everyone always...looked down upon me! No more! Everyone abandoned me...lied to me...even that of my own family! For nothing, because they all said I was nothing! But now... you shall see that is no longer the case...your...age may have taught you so much...but my pain is as deep everything you could hope to see...” she snarled and prepared her attack.

”What you see...shall be!” Magnolia spoke as if she already won. Shadows swirl at her feet and they begin to swirl around Silver Tongue’s as they rapidly solidify.

@Loud Opinion @Califorum

Starlight let out a sigh, then nodded. Although she didn’t agree with the method, as long as everypony would become friends after the duel, then there was no point in worrying about it. She turned to Limbo and said,

“As long as nopony truly gets hurt in the end, then all should be well. I will teach them later that there are other ways to reach an agreement,”

She wished now more than ever that she could remove everypony’s Cutie Marks. However, without the Staff, she could risk revealing her secret. She needed that staff to channel her magic through so that she would not look as if she is displaying her own power. She had warned ponies time and time again the dangers of coexisting with Cutie Marks, but they never listened to her. The only way to make them listen is to change their perspective. Ponies could only see the benefit of a Cutie Markless life if they were currently living one.

Starlight glanced over to Magnolia who had a surprising amount of pain in her voice. This was it, Starlight thought, she’s finally breaking. Magnolia, whether she realized it or not, was slowly becoming more and more vulnerable. She wasn’t a mean-spirited sorceress, she was simply a hurt pony. Not waiting a moment to seize her opportunity, Starlight stepped forward.

“Magnolia, you are not worthless. You are just as valuable as anypony else. The ponies who abandoned you were blinded by the pain their Cutie Marks brought them. They could not see their own worth, so they placed their insecurities and fears onto you. In my village, we understand that everypony has worth and value. We accept everypony as one of our own. I accept you as one of my own, and as a friend,” she monologued in a friendly tone. She smiled during her last sentence, hoping to be as convincing as possible with it.

• Brohoof 1

Magnolia was about to start the duel with Silver Tongue, and then heard Starlight calling out to her. She saw that Starlight had stepped forward. Magnolia kept her focus on Silver Tongue and was prepared for whatever he may do. Starlight's words would only anger her. Yet another attempt at manipulation. Magnolia wouldn't be having it. She would never submit to Starlight ever and was going to make that clear one final time. After that, she would merely ignore Starlight's words. At least she would hope so. 

Without looking at Starlight Magnolia would speak. "I am never joining you, not now, not ever. You fail to understand that a cutie mark is not the source of pain, but it is their own actions. Perhaps a cutie mark is a source of your pain! Do not talk to me in this manner, or maybe I'll find a way to remove yours! Maybe that will solve your pain! I don't accept you as a friend, every waking moment you are watching me, wanting me to join with your cult...No! I will not be friends with someone who wants to take away my magic, my cutie mark, and my individuality! Least of all you. At this point you are obsessed with me. It makes me uncomfortable. Now scram! I have a duel." Magnolia would respond to Starlight in an honest yet offended way. She hated hearing what Starlight had to say. 

With that being said she would begin to plan out the duel mentally. She was fairly confident in her ability, yet she would take Silver Tongue's words to heart. She wouldn't be too confident. 

• Brohoof 1

@Califorum 

Mr. Tongue was, again, unimpressed with the way Magnolia bickered with Starlight. "Your words are like rioting peasants. Full of furry, but lacking import."

Silver paid the shadows no mind and prepared his ritual. He focused on all the pleasures he indulged in over the years and offered those memories to the unknown. Like bait on a hook, he cast out his memories to be found by who knows what.

He bowed his head for greater focus. Some of the pleasantries leaked out and nourished Magnolia's soul. The burns from her encounter on her way to the temple fade away like a bad dream. Silver was sacrificing a lot of advantages for this ritual. Was this hubris?!

@ExplosionMare

"Have patience, Starlight. Some ponies will never live to see utopia," Limbo comforted, "let the willing come first, the convinced come second, and leave the resistant to wander. That is how I spread my message."

Limbo hoped that Magnolia didn't get the wrong message from that. She knew that she was technically taking Starlight's side, but she hoped that Magnolia would know it was for her own good.

• Brohoof 2

Magnolia's expression seemed to go rather blank. It clicked within her mind that his name, Silver Tongue might have to deal with conversation, to find out about others weaknesses. Perhaps it was his strength. And to that, she would speak no words. Starlight and Limbo were no longer occupying her thoughts. She were entirely focused on this duel. Silver Tongue was up to no good. And she was not going to allow him to focus with his plan. 

The shadows around Silver Tongue's legs suddenly went entirely solid and attempted to throw him to the side. However that was the distraction. She would not allow herself to be taken off guard and was entirely aware, focusing on Silver Tongue's motions, expression and gestures like a predator would to a prey.  If her plan with the shadows throwing him to the side would work her horn would suddenly light up brilliant blue and she would fire a black laser at Silver Tongue's side. Then she'd tilt her head to the side, as if gaging his reaction to this and would mentally prepare herself for whatever he'd do.

Whatever he'd do, she'd be prepared. And she'd already come up with a plan to escape any traps. Ever so slightly she would fade her body away, it were barely noticeable. If he should do anything that involved pain towards her, she would rapidly fade her body away in order to not take physical blows. 

• Brohoof 1