Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Upgrading an Old PC

joanro

So, I don't have very much experience with building PCs. The most I have done is installed a new PSU and a GPU. The PC I currently have is about 8 years old. It's an old pre-built HP PC. The exact model is a p7-1299c. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03360581

I was wondering whether it would be possible to use the same case and install a new motherboard and CPU in it. The reason I want to upgrade it is because I really want to be able to play VRChat (Not in VR Mode mind you, just in desktop mode). I also don't want to spend too much money in doing so(I'm poor...).

Can any one help me? Or have any advice to give?

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

What's the requirements for VRChat?

The minimum specs are:

• CPU: Intel® i5-4590 / AMD FX 8350 equivalent or greater
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 970 / AMD Radeon™ R9 290 equivalent or greater
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.1
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.1
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 1 GB
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 4096 MB

Switching mother boards isn't that hard.  I did it myself years ago. If I can do it, anyone can! I found this HUGE green case with a big window on the side (Love flea markets!) I moved my old computer board into it, and used it as a media player for a while, The video I put in had an "S" cable output, so I had it sitting on the floor next to ther TV in the living room. That was back in my CRT TV days. LOL! had a big ol' Sony.