Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books What was your favourite book as a child?

Reecejackox

I mostly read comics myself, though books I would say Harry Potter and some that I don't think were sold elsewhere but I guess they were like horror stories for kids haha. That I enjoyed reading, I did like Harry Potter a lot.

• Brohoof 2

Any version of The Gingerbread Man, The Three Billy Goats Gruff and The Enormous Turnip. Especially the the first two. For some reasons I was obssesed. There was also this book called "Apa Kucing Boleh Buat?" (What can a cat do, if translated). I also have a wierd love for that book. Around ten I love anything Enid Blyton (still do!). Specifically the Wishing Chair series.

• Brohoof 1

I remember hating reading as a kid if that counts. 

• Brohoof 1

Stellaluna written by Janell Cannon was my favorite book to have read to me as a child. I still find it to be a cute, quick read. The same author also wrote Pinduli, which I also loved ♥️

E1CF7A13-FF37-4117-BE78-E4091DB200E2.jpeg0380DCA4-D973-44FF-8584-64DCECA504C7.jpeg

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

"A Bear Called Paddington". I think it was the first "Grown Up" (I thought) chapter book I ever read. I adored Paddington. Still do! I had a collection of five or six of the Paddington book in paperback, in a slide in cardboard box. I only remember the first volume's title. I read them all quite a few times. I don't know what happened to it, but I'd love to read them again!

Side note: OMG, I LOVED the movies! Peter Capaldi as Mr. Curry was nothing less than a joy to behold!

417a73afdf381ff0c64c744e331c9c1a.jpg

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't really read story books but I read a lot of children encyclopedias. I managed to find my absolute favorite, one about horses. The first few pages were torn because of how much I used to read through it~

Spoiler

Biblioteca Municipal de Sintra

(edited)
9 hours ago, Bakugou is my Man said:

Stellaluna written by Janell Cannon was my favorite book to have read to me as a child.

OMG I was gonna mention Stellaluna!! Such a sweet little story. I loved how the bottom corners of the pages show you illustrations of what Stellaluna's mother is up to elsewhere. <3

My other favorite books from different ages included the Twiddlebugs Dream House...

The Twiddlebugs' Dream House (Sesame Street Book Club): Pat ...

The Jewel Kingdom: The Jewel Princesses and the Missing Crown...

The Jewel Princesses and the Missing Crown (The Jewel Kingdom ...

Hatchet...

Hatchet eBook by Gary Paulsen - 9781442403321 | Rakuten Kobo

And this adorable little book that I can't seem to track down. It was a sticker book story about this little princess that lost track of her stuff a lot, and it followed her around her castle as she was looking for one of her favorite trinkets. Each page had a different bauble that she'd find and you could put a stick jewel on it, and the final page had a literal dragon's hoard of goodies you could put stickers all over.

EDIT: Found it!! It's The Princess Lost her Locket...

61opOnXyj+L.jpg

Edited by ShadOBabe

I think it's anything in the 'Griezelbus' series, which for the non-Dutch speaking people here means something like 'Scary Bus' or something. The first one was about a school trip, in a bus, where a children's author reads scary stories. Obviously, the stories themselves are chapters in the book, and the writer is not what he seems either. Later books all still involve the bus, and scary stories, but they become progressively stranger (in a good way, mostly). These stories are still some of the scariest I've ever read, simply because they tend not to end all that well, and they're written in a very to-the-point style. It's also influenced me immensely in how much I wanted (and still want) to become a writer. The books actually deal quite a bit with the process of writing stories and how they come alive in different ways. Being horror books, the 'coming alive' part is not metaphorical.

I liked to read the Tintin series for its art. But as a kid, I usually drew in the books as well, such as glasses and smoking pipes.

On 5/27/2020 at 6:21 PM, Reecejackox said:

I would say the Mr men books for me.

Wow, that takes me back! I actually bought a box set just for nostalgia a few years ago.

20 hours ago, Bakugou is my Man said:

Stellaluna written by Janell Cannon was my favorite book to have read to me as a child. I still find it to be a cute, quick read. The same author also wrote Pinduli, which I also loved ♥️

E1CF7A13-FF37-4117-BE78-E4091DB200E2.jpeg

Cool, I've never read it but a book about how cute bats are is great for kids.

My favorite author when I was a kid was a guy named John Bellairs. He wrote kids horror stories before Goosebumps. One, "The House With A Clock In It's Walls" was badly adapted.

GUEST_974dc134-da88-4403-91c1-3fe1d494bb  51PE5DMDKZL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg   28750.jpg

A Couple of adventure books about kids on their own I loved and read over and over:

91FHIyCFNnL.jpg   249520.jpg

Here's a really obscure couple of  books.  "Mutiny in the Time Machine" and "Time Machine to the Rescue" They're about some boy scouts that fine a time machine while out hiking in the wilderness somewhere. They were my brother's. I don't know where he got them. I just  stole borrowed them.

I come from a family of science fiction fans.

image_thumb[1].png

51XFVwkUSSL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg