Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should we start micro-chipping humans?

Muffinnz

13 minutes ago, Ooredelen said:

they are called "smartphones"

Which can be disposed of at any time. It’s a bit more of a mess if you want to remove something from inside your body.

• Brohoof 4

10 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Which can be disposed of at any time. It’s a bit more of a mess if you want to remove something from inside your body.

But what was the last time you left your phone? I always have mine in pocket as the most people do. The only reasons I see to dispose a phone are illegal things or things like cheating

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
21 minutes ago, Ooredelen said:

But what was the last time you left your phone? I always have mine in pocket as the most people do. The only reasons I see to dispose a phone are illegal things or things like cheating

I forget it on the weekends sometimes, but don’t need leave it at this time. I currently don’t have any need to not be found. But I could go in the kitchen drop it in the blender right now if I had reason to.

If I had a chip in my skin, I’d have to dig it out of my skin with something sharp.

Also, @Prospekt wasn’t kidding. If you’re not religious, your only potential concern is privacy and potential government abuse. But for those who are religious (like me), microchips are a hypothesized form of the Biblical Mark of the Beast. Which, beyond my distrust of the benevolence of human government, gets an even MORE resounding “HELL NO”.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

To summarize a whole hosts of reasons why I personally would not want this, Big Mac and Applejack will quickly sum up my thoughts:

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

I forget it on the weekends sometimes, but don’t need leave it at this time. I currently don’t have any need to not be found. But I could go in the kitchen drop it in the blender right now if I had reason to.

If I had a chip in my skin, I’d have to dig it out of my skin with something sharp.

Also, @Prospekt wasn’t kidding. If you’re not religious, your only potential concern is privacy and potential government abuse. But for those who are religious (like me), microchips are a hypothesized form of the Biblical Mark of the Beast. Which, beyond my distrust of the benevolence of human government, gets an even MORE resounding “HELL NO”.

And that's one of the reasons why microchipping should be optional like phones and, as people above said, shouldn't be allowed to use for underage teens. Plus if you have microchip in your hand and there's emergency to hide, you can try to wrap your arm with foil, theoretically signal can't go through metal

I'm just saying that people are exaggerating privacy and hacking problem. You can be tracked any time without it and you won't be hacked unless you're a politician or a celebrity

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm no ones pet.:mlp_okiedokieloki: 

It's a slippery slope. First it will probably be proposed as a "convenience".  As time goes on people who don't have one will be shamed by others for not having one.

Then they'll probably start to be required. Then they'll start to be used to ENFORCE laws. Then your transformation to a sheep will be complete!:ticking:

You'll be like "Oh, i better not do "X" or "They" WILL know and "Y" WILL happen to me."

No need to waste time on a trial or anything, they'll just pull up your "event log."  Chips don't lie...:mlp_wink:

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 3

No. And we should not put cameras in the bathrooms. People need privacy. There are better ways to keep track of your children (ground them).

• Brohoof 2

11 hours ago, Ooredelen said:

Government can already pretty easily track you nowadays, if they want to.

You are correct, but with microchipping it would become significantly easier to track you. Literally every step you took would be trackable.

But it's impossible and pointless to track everybody at the same time without solid reason.

You'd be surprised with the technology available nowadays. A government tracking every one of their citizens is seemingly impossible, yet it actually is feasible with the help of algorithms, AI, computer software, and microchips. If everyone was to have a microchip, everyone could and would be tracked because the government would become corrupted with such power. Privacy would be nonexistent.

Plus, what makes you think that microchips would be as hackable as the old Win XP? Such technology would has at least PayPal/google security level. They are hackable, true, but only by a professional hackers with an enormous price.

Eventually hackers will evolve and it would become common for a hacker to compromise the security of a microchip. Not only that, but the amount of information the hacker will gain access to would be far more vast than just hacking someone's Windows XP or PayPal account.

Nobody will spend so much effort, money and time to hack some cashier from McDonald's

Actually, they would because that would mean they would be able to steal their identity and all of their money (through credit cards/debit cards).

• Brohoof 2

I don't really see a practical application for it, as others have mentioned how phones can be used to this end, but also that this is generally what the cards in your wallet/purse are for in terms of things you can do and having information on yourself readily available.

I think it's important that we ask why we do this for animals, and the answer is simple. They lack the ability to convey information that's useful to us through other means. A dog can't talk, and a collar can be removed. While a person can leave things behind they can effectively communicate much of the necessary information from memory. Really the only area this is an issue is on those who're dead and/or missing, but even then, if you find a body, in developing countries at least, you can always attempt to seek out their dental records, and DNA services can track down at least one family member in the USA with only samples from 15% of the population I think, but I might need to double check on that. Either way, everyone's left a trail behind to be tracked, whether through paper, GPS, or blood lines.

9 hours ago, Ooredelen said:

I'm just saying that people are exaggerating privacy and hacking problem. You can be tracked any time without it and you won't be hacked unless you're a politician or a celebrity

That's not the point. Remember the old saying, "give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile."

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Splashee said:

No. And we should not put cameras in the bathrooms. People need privacy. There are better ways to keep track of your children (ground them).

I’m always intrigued by those people who choose to put those cameras that can connect to the internet inside their homes. 

16 minutes ago, Cirrus. said:

That's not the point. Remember the old saying, "give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile."

To be fair, if the government really wants something they could probably find a way to do it, and sell it in a way that’ll get their base behind it and not much we could do would stop it. 

• Brohoof 4

23 minutes ago, Cirrus. said:

And this applies to no one more so than politicians, the scum of the Earth.

• Brohoof 3

44 minutes ago, AppleBolt ️ said:

To be fair, if the government really wants something they could probably find a way to do it, and sell it in a way that’ll get their base behind it and not much we could do would stop it.

You have a good point, and I agree that if the government wants something they could find a way to get it. However, this doesn't we should surrender everything to them and give them what they want. We have a right to privacy (https://www.livescience.com/37398-right-to-privacy.html), but the problem is that microchipping humans would compromise that right, as the one to manufacture, distribute, regulate, and control those microchips would need to be the government itself which would essentially be giving away everyone's privacy to the government. 

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

It should absolutely be optional, but I would probably go for it because of the medical benefits in case an emergency happened.

I could see another use of microchips being to track people coming from a "high risk country" who are entering another country, to ensure they don't overstay their visas. Perhaps this will be a requirement for future travel to/from some areas with known overstay occurrences. (All you right-wingers would start loving the microchips :P)

Edited by SparklingBolt ⚡️

18 hours ago, Ooredelen said:

And you all already have microchips, they are called "smartphones".

18 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Really? I think most people these days would rater lose an arm than a cell phone.

49 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

Really? I think most people these days would rater lose an arm than a cell phone.

I would like to think if someone had an urgent reason to not be tracked by people, they wouldn't be so stupid. But maybe that's just me.

(edited)

I would absolutely refuse the chip. If I was forced to have it, I probably would find a way to destroy it (without hurting myself too much).

Oh, and my cellphones are an older model, they can be tracked from the towers, but the tracking is less precise, especially when I am not talking on the phone, since then it only occasionally contacts the tower. I just do not like touch screens (or the modern smartphone OSs)...

Edited by Pentium100
  • Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

I would absolutely refuse the chip. If I was forced to have it, I probably would find a way to destroy it (without hurting myself too much).

A strong electromagnet that you could get to oscillate would probably kill it.:ooh::umad:

(edited)

No thanks I don't think so, I think there is a difference between a phone and a chip. I don't want such a thing in the body no matter how small. Sounds like a way to increase the surveillance already on people.  

I haven't experienced any issues receiving medical treatment as a result of slower communication. It seems pretty instantaneous already.

Instantaneous wow, where do u live X3 Cuz here in the UK it's like long wait forever (6 months even a year for certain things) and the computer systems are always crashing. Especially now with corona. And when you see the gp they only give you 5 mins to talk. Saying that I wouldn't want a chip sending data, there is already suspicious stuff going on with peoples genetic data and such. The problem here is just well.. there are a lot of problems 

Edited by flurry

• 1 month later...

Yes but wouldn't people start kidnapping each other for their microchips, trying to get credit card details

Spoiler

We can make this easier on you buddy, now where is your microchip?

See the source image