Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Stallions And Facial Hair

Denim&Venöm

So we've seen stallions with facial hair. 

Jeff Letrotski | My Little Pony Friendship is Magic Wiki | Fandomimage.png.aafb136c0cdf6ca78824d8d1090057cf.pngList of ponies/Earth ponies | My Little Pony Friendship is Magic ...

And those that don't.

Big Macintosh | My Little Pony Fan Labor Wiki | FandomThunderlane | My Little Pony Fan Labor Wiki | FandomMy Little Pony: Friendship is Magic' Sneak Peek: See William ...

And evidence that ponies do shave.

Meeting Shining Armor at the Station - The Crystalling - YouTube

But what I'm wondering is how? What we have is hair growing out of fur. So how do they shave without getting bald patches in their fur? Is fur around the face thinner so that there's places for beard hairs to grow? Are hairs just plucked one at a time?  Are shaven stallions faces actually bare of fur and hair and we're just seeing a matching skin tone instead? How does facial grooming even work in MLP? 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Since we don't see it that often in stallions, I tend to think of it as a genetic thing.  Like, some stallions(and a handful of mares) are actually capable of growing facial hair beyond the fur they already have.  Maybe it sets in around a certain age and it's a special type of hair that grows alongside fur, which is why it's normally the same shade as the mane.  They probably have a specific type of shaver that can get the facial hair while leaving the fur alone.  Like maybe the facial hair is thicker while the fur is wispier on the face so certain companies sell their product promising the fur isn't shaved either when dealing with the facial hair????

Edit: Also since one of the stallions in your pictures seems to have a 5 o'clock shadow or stubble of some kind, maybe he uses an older brand of shaving gear that doesn't protect the fur so he has to be extra careful not to completely shave his face?

Edited by Thuja
  • Brohoof 1

Something like trimmers. You know, with the plastic combs that help trim the beard at a steady length.

This is a bit stupid, but maybe they have a second set of hair that grows in these areas. Or maybe these areas just grow more and change. I mean, they are magical creatures, after all.

Horse already have both fur and hair, and some animals can have different types of fur that overlap, so it's not the biggest stretch to have hair that can grow through a preexisting fur covered area, although the area would likely look much different with the mixing colors.

When giving my dog a bath once I tested my mom's razor on her, :laugh: and it hardly took off the tips of any hairs, but just jammed going against the grain. But that was along her back and without cream. Maybe you can apply an ointment that removes hair but not fur, or they use straight razors to get those that are just sticking out like on Shining's chiseled jaw.

I don’t like facial hair on the ponies. It looks so ugly to me. 

• Brohoof 1

I would say the facial hair is thinner than the coat hair which is basically furry skin allowing for shaving without it shaving off the fur underneath because its more like skin.

Also it could be cartoon logic. :P  

On 5/31/2020 at 1:44 AM, Denim&Venöm said:

Are shaven stallions faces actually bare of fur and hair and we're just seeing a matching skin tone instead? How does facial grooming even work in MLP?

This is like Donald Duck having teeth. It is a cartoon thing.

I have always seen MLP ponies are plastic, and not having fur. That Snips and Snails had proven fur in "Ponyville Confidential", and that their cutie marks were part of that fur, was disgusting and confusing. MLP toys are plastic. All hair are attached, and can be groomed using the brush that comes with the toy :smolder:

11 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Don’t forget this handsome boy:

Forums_Caballeron.png.c496d54c4e19820f665fdb7c2ec1acbc.png

Nothing to add, just don’t forget him! X3

I remember he is slightly more handsome shaved, am I right? :arethosehands:

• 4 months later...
On 10/31/2020 at 11:04 PM, Toastypk said:

large.png

No touch.

Don't do it.

I think their facial hair is of a different beast than their coat, sort of like their mane,

I kid you not, I reflexively grabbed my own beard during that scene. 

• 9 months later...