Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bats

Fluttershutter

I don't think there's a thread dedicated to bats yet.

The second most common order of mammals

From the flying fox or sky puppy:

71woBSj5bGL.jpg

to the so called scary vampire bat

_111366565_gettyimages-544305655.jpg

They're awesome!

c314745909acdcdee89e500abaf6ba26_XL.jpg

80b2ce75cd453f8607d205486613a58fadorable-bats-fb18-png__700.jpg5c8b64d49b2ec-handmade-felted-wool-toys-cute-bat-hanging-upside-down.jpg

They fly, they crawl, they hang upside down, they even swim!

• Brohoof 3

I found them to be quite fascinating, considering that they are nocturnal, have a strange and cool physical appearance, use soundwaves to hunt their prey since they are blind, and hang upside down!

• Brohoof 3

30 minutes ago, ElectricEnergy said:

I found them to be quite fascinating, considering that they are nocturnal, have a strange and cool physical appearance, use soundwaves to hunt their prey since they are blind, and hang upside down!

They're not blind. Some can see quite well but that's still not a good way to find bugs at night.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

They're not blind. Some can see quite well but that's still not a good way to find bugs at night.

Oh, my bad. For some reason I just assumed they were because I heard it somewhere. Still, bats are fascinating creatures!

Edited by ElectricEnergy⚡
grammar

Although birds have many parts to their wings via feathers, the actual structure is quite limited when you look at their bones, many of which are shortened and fused versions from their ancestors, and can be more clearly seen during their fetal stages. Bats meanwhile, have greater flexibility thanks to having several jones along the extend hand bones and the soft membrane between them all. This results in less effort having to be put into flight which has been observed through lower rates of oxygen consumption and wind tunnel tests., making them the most efficient flyers on the planet.

Also, only about 70% of bats echolocate through clicking sounds and these consists of the insectivores. Fruit bats still manage to produce some of their own sonar, but this is done instead by sensing the return or resistance of airflow from each wingbeat, as air behaves differently when interacting with other objects. It should be noted however that this method is less effective.

Vampire bats are unique not only for the obvious, but by their preference to travel on the ground and their ability to run. The ability to fly, secondarily makes for surprisingly strong forelimbs that can pull you along the ground. No one is quite sure why they originally evolved this trait , but it proves useful when trying to not be stepped on by their most common prey of the modern era, cattle.

• Brohoof 1

I love bats. I think they’re so cute! When I used to work as a cave guide the little things were often found clinging to the ceiling of the cave. They never bothered me or anyone else and they looked like little fuzzy McNuggets hanging there. Once in a while they’d fly overhead but they usually tried to avoid people rather than ‘attack’ as some feared. The ones I encountered were really small and unthreatening. I don't think all of them are particularly great swimmers. I've seen some having some trouble getting off the water once they're in it.

• Brohoof 3

Bats are cute. We have bats flying around in a evenings catching bugs and hopefully mosquitoes.

I am also a Bat pony right now, so, yea :mlp_icwudt: Biased!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
30 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I love bats. I think they’re so cute! When I used to work as a cave guide the little things were often found clinging to the ceiling of the cave. They never bothered me or anyone else and they looked like little fuzzy McNuggets hanging there. Once in a while they’d fly overhead but they usually tried to avoid people rather than ‘attack’ as some feared. The ones I encountered were really small and unthreatening. I don't think all of them are particularly great swimmers. I've seen some having some trouble getting off the water once they're in it.

They inspired BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

Edited by TheRockARooster 🐔
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Flying foxes are the cutest bats in my opinion. The others look kinda weird. :ButtercupLaugh:

Flying pigs are better than flying foxes :wacko:

2 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I love that theme song!!:love:

The first 2 seconds are classy

• Brohoof 1

22 hours ago, Emerald Heart said:

Bats are my favorite animal! They're so cute and fuzzy.

Look up "Bumblebee bat" and bask in their cuteness.

42c2d9cd629db0d5515eb17d6ae75c59.jpg

21 hours ago, ElectricEnergy said:

Oh, my bad. For some reason I just assumed they were because I heard it somewhere. Still, bats are fascinating creatures!

21 hours ago, Kujamih said:

They are blind in the dark...that is true... But blind blind....depends....

Nothing can see in total darkness but bats are active at night so they have good night vision. "Blind as a bat" is a common expression but no species of bat is actually blind.

16 hours ago, SharpWit said:

Although birds have many parts to their wings via feathers, the actual structure is quite limited when you look at their bones, many of which are shortened and fused versions from their ancestors, and can be more clearly seen during their fetal stages. Bats meanwhile, have greater flexibility thanks to having several jones along the extend hand bones and the soft membrane between them all. This results in less effort having to be put into flight which has been observed through lower rates of oxygen consumption and wind tunnel tests., making them the most efficient flyers on the planet.

Also, only about 70% of bats echolocate through clicking sounds and these consists of the insectivores. Fruit bats still manage to produce some of their own sonar, but this is done instead by sensing the return or resistance of airflow from each wingbeat, as air behaves differently when interacting with other objects. It should be noted however that this method is less effective.

Vampire bats are unique not only for the obvious, but by their preference to travel on the ground and their ability to run. The ability to fly, secondarily makes for surprisingly strong forelimbs that can pull you along the ground. No one is quite sure why they originally evolved this trait , but it proves useful when trying to not be stepped on by their most common prey of the modern era, cattle.

That's interesting. I know vampire bats sometimes get so gorged with blood they can't really fly.

Another interesting fact: Only four groups of animals have ever developed flight. Bats, birds, insects, and pterosaurs.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
3 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

Another interesting fact: Only four groups of animals have ever developed flight. Bats, birds, insects, and pterosaurs.

There's actually a 5th one thanks to the dinosaurs, called Yi Qi, which basically means strange wing, and fittingly enough, it has bat like wings! Still being a true reptile, this also technically means the Wyvern form of dragons existed! at least on a small scale without any fire breathing.

Yi (dinosaur) - Wikipedia

I was hoping to see that they might have lived during the same time period, but fossils dat eit back to 159 million years ago, whereas bats only go back as far 50.

Also here's a short vid on the Woolly False Vampire Bat. It does show another animal being hunted so warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8QhY_0H99g

And one on Fishing Bats!

Edited by SharpWit

I seriously never saw why Batman had to be called Batman, after all he is not using any bat skills. It is just an outfit.

• Brohoof 1