Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bats

Fluttershutter

18 minutes ago, Windy Breeze ☁️ ☁️ ☁️ said:

I found the bats cute, but i'm not going to approach them just in case they try to bite my hooves :wub:

I can't wait 'til the day you become a bat pony @Windy Breeze ☁️ ☁️ ☁️. You are already an attractive pony, but with some bat genes... Ohhh :wub:

Spoiler

I am a bat pony right now, can't help thinking this way :mlp_icwudt:

10 hours ago, SharpWit said:

There's actually a 5th one thanks to the dinosaurs, called Yi Qi, which basically means strange wing, and fittingly enough, it has bat like wings! Still being a true reptile, this also technically means the Wyvern form of dragons existed! at least on a small scale without any fire breathing.

Yi (dinosaur) - Wikipedia

:o

Definitely one of the most fascinating mammals around. I often see them in my town at night fluttering about. They are always so silent and fluttery around the lights. I do think they are quite cute, but for some reason I am scared that one of them might smack into me accidentally while I'm walking, even though they have the skills to not do that. :P Some of them have flown very close to me but they are always like whoosh and maneuver like a jet. 

@Prince Doopliss

Thank you for that.

You see, it is a true Brony that can respond with a meme song! And daresay, the song is valid enough grounds to talk about too.

Have to say that Applejack is right when it the behavior encroached on Vermin levels. When they're jepordizing AJ's job and income, then yes, they need to go. ...though not to the point where the whole flock & tribe of them have to be done away with. Which tends to be the more Human approach when crops are threatened.

... Huh, wonder what is the name for a flock of bats?

Either way! There's loads of bats out here in Japan!

I lived in almost every state on the west coast of America and only now have I seen bats! They're about the size of a small dog, about big enough to fill up your whole chest area, but they're still cute! It's so majestic seeing them flop through the sky! As much a ruckus they make hanging from tree branches and loudly squeaking at each other; it's amazing to see how silently they fly! The way the light filters through them when they're flying up above you!

I'm quite certain their fruit/insect eaters! ...and I won't lie. Anything that eats bugs can't be all that bad in my book! ...probably why the bats are so huge out here. The bugs are huge too!

I'm quite proud of myself too. I've done away with my knee-jerk urge to immediately proclaim "Oh hey, A bat!" each and every time I see a bat.

latest?cb=20121223045516

Bats are pretty but I sometimes wish they were this colorful.

11 hours ago, Widdershins said:

... Huh, wonder what is the name for a flock of bats?

A colony, cloud, or camp is official but I think we can do better. Like a murder of crows or an unkindness of ravens. How about a coven or something. Ideas?

• Brohoof 1

"A Whole Honkin' Mess O' Bats"

A Squeak of Bats

A Fuss of Batponies

Bats are just that type of animal you realize are stealthy and good at what their species was deigned to prey upon... but they're just too fluffy, pointy & flappy to see as any threat. Their mouths are too small to do any big biting damage, so its hard to see them being a threat. Even if a vampire bat, as tiny as it is, was on my licking a hole in me, I'd probably just freak out enough to swat it off and not do it any harm.

Now hippos you worry about. Suckers got a mouth like a Flatbed Ford!

Most bats are either cute or badass. Occasionally both. I wish there were more in my area but I've only ever seen them out a couple of times. They're fascinating creatures.

• 2 weeks later...

I like bats! They are such unique animals. Yeah, they’re not all super cute but I like them nonetheless.

• Brohoof 1

There are very few animals I don't find at least intriguing, and basically no mammals I don't find cute, and yes bats have a certain coolness factor on top of that. B)

On 6/8/2020 at 10:46 AM, TheRockARooster 🐔 said:

They inspired BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

If I could draw, one silly thing I'd want to do is make a Fluttershy spoof of the famous "Yes, father, I shall become a bat" scene from Batman: Year One.

18b92345adcec12726c5c22523e8b0fe.jpg

As good as it was in context, out of context the parodies practically write themselves...

On 6/9/2020 at 2:57 PM, Splashee said:

I seriously never saw why Batman had to be called Batman, after all he is not using any bat skills. It is just an outfit.

technically.png.5a969ad40a7ef19b3d20896222b9ec60.png

You're right that there are no "bat skills" involved.

The standard explanation in modern Batman comics (i.e. at least since Batman: Year One came out in 1987) is that he chose the bat look to intimidate criminals, because skills alone weren't cutting it, but "criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot" as he loves to tell us. For a long time he intentionally avoided doing anything too public or in broad daylight because he wanted to keep "the Batman" more of a myth and a legend so it would stay scary. And at least in the comics, it still freaks out the average street thug pretty reliably. Since the outfit is all most people ever see, if that, that's what everyone named him after.

A standard argument in comic forums is whether this explanation makes any sense or not. :laugh:

• Brohoof 1