Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2012 Venus Transit

Sean Skyhawk

(edited)

With only a day left before this great astronomical event that will return in the year 2117, I'm so excited to be able to see this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

Tomorrow on June 5, 2012, 6:09 PM Eastern time, the planet Venus is set to sail across the disk of Celestia's Sun, in an event that will be visible all the way throughout America. As even I am not sure that MLP will last for hundreds of years, this my friends is the only transit that will ever be experienced by those who can truly call themselves bronys.

So what say you? What will you be doing tomorrow as we prepare to celebrate this spectacular event?

For more information, check out: http://en.wikipedia...._of_Venus,_2012

For those who can't see the transit live and in person, a special webcast will be made here, live from Mauna Kea in Hawaii:

http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/2012/transit/webcast.php

Edited by Sean Skyhawk
  • Brohoof 2

I usually love these kinds of once-in-a-lifetime experiences, but I'm afraid I'm not gonna try to experience this one. Plane tickets simply cost too much these days. :mellow:

I usually love these kinds of once-in-a-lifetime experiences, but I'm afraid I'm not gonna try to experience this one. Plane tickets simply cost too much these days. :mellow:

Where are you exactly?

Also, and I'll edit the above post, if you are at a place that will not be able to see the transit, NASA is putting up a live webcast of the transit once it happens, here:

http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/2012/transit/webcast.php

Man I did even realize that this was occurring till the news wouldn't shut up about it today. According to astrologers confessing your love during that day is a good thing, but that's just a bunch of nonsense... right?

Yep, the second awesome celestial encounter I'm going to view this year! First the annular eclipse, now the transit of Venus. Too bad I don't have any solar filters for my telescope. I hope the eclipse glasses alone will suffice.

i know when it is going to happen over here, but i dunno how i would be even able to see it. and if it requires obtaining this and that gadges then i'm probably not gonna be able to witness it at all.

Well this sucks. Apparently it's too cloudy for me to see the transit. Looks like I'll never get to see it again. Curse you overcast weather for ruining a once in a lifetime event!

will the sun harm our eyes if we look at Venus while it is going across the sun?

The sun can harm your eyes even in a total eclipse. Looking at the sun during the venus transit will be just about as harmful as looking at it normally. In order to safely view the sun at all, you need eclipse glasses, or something equivalent.

On the roof watching the transit right now WOOOOOOOO!!!!! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ :P :P :P

You're making me so jelly right now. The best view I can get is from a night sky simulator :(

Unfortunately I didn't have a telescope with a solar filter to get a good view but instead I was able to get my welding helmet (using a number 14 welder's glass) and was able to barely see Venus.