Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Ever thought about joining the military?

Muffinnz

Absolutely not. Even if I wanted to, I have a shunt, which is automatic full disqualification for all military service. Not to mention my other problems. The US military spends most of its time killing innocent people in the middle east and occupying countries we have no place in. The US is a war-mongering nation and I would never be part of its hypocritical, regime changing antics.

• Brohoof 1

I have gone as far as to go into recruiters offices, take the tests, and schedule appointments with M.E.PS. I backed out at the end for a number of reasons. A fair warning to the stuff imma preach here: Much like the armed forces mantra "Experiences may vary" take this list as "my experience but yours might be different":

1. They lied to me while they swore on the bible. I asked the to swear to me that the Army wasnt about hitting or hazing. Recruiter told me things changed but in actuality its worse. Having friends in the military they have told me first hand stories, backed up by witnesses. Drill Instructors are allowed to punch, slap, kick, and yell racial slurs at you nonstop all in order to break you. You can tell on them but youd get kicked out and unable to get a real world job if that happened. 

2. The amount of sexism in the armed forces is higher than any job. First day in the recruitment office my recruiter(who was a combat medic for 8 years) saw a woman with a kid pass by. Lets just say the comments he made about her were not flattering at all.

3.I was asked if i was autistic because i had rainbow socks on. 

4. When i was presented with jobs i asked for a few days to think on it. The next day my recruiter came to my door asking if i made up my mind. I said no. The day after that, on the way to grocery shopping, my recruiter was in a car behind me. He started honking and throwing garbage at my car. When he pulled next to me it was the same question: "Did you decide yet?"
So after that day i went back to the office and asked why they were harassing me. 
    I just so happened to show up when a superior was there who told me to wait outside. They got chewed out when the superior heard i was being harassed to join. After the yelling went down my recruiter came outside and told me he denied my application because he was afraid to give me a gun. Claiming i looked like a school shooter. 

Now again, this is MY experience and wether you believe me is up to you. Suffice to say that the interaction i had has me telling people NOT to join the military.

Nope. Have no patriotism to speak of for my backwards-run, greed-ridden country, and even if I did, I'm a creative who would absolutely detest being told to step in line and become just another unit on a team. Shelving my creativity, mind and interests for any length of time as is typical of the military would be an antithesis to who I am. I'm already upset that I'm stuck with a non-creative job while I go through college.

Once when I was visiting the ships in Pearl Harbor, I thought it would be interesting to be in the Navy, but I know I’d never be cut out for it in reality. My grandpa was in the Navy and he has lots of interesting stories, but I don’t think I could handle it to be honest. It’s interesting to study aspects of it as a hobby, but that’s as far as it would go for me. 

• Brohoof 1

Not voluntary. I have not the best view on the Bundeswehr. But at the time I got 18, we had here in germany military conscritpion (which I was never a fan of), so I had to go to the medical examination. But because of my back (I have scoliosis), I was withdraw from service (a few years later, the milotary conscription was ended in germany) and don't needed to go. The only time in my life I liked my scoliosis. XD

9 hours ago, Sherbie-kun said:

I thought that Finland had conscription :huh:

Unfortunately, yes. But there's still civilian service as an alternative. And getting exempted from military service isn't rare these days – I know two who were exempted (I'm the other one). :P

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Tacodidra said:

Unfortunately, yes. But there's still civilian service as an alternative. And getting exempted from military service isn't rare these days – I know two who were exempted (I'm the other one). :P

well that's good I suppose,

and that's cool you got exempted

• Brohoof 1

It’s supposed to be a selfless commitment. As much as it’d be cool to fly for the armed forces (Air Force, Navy, whatever), I’m shamefully not cut out for it. Psychologically. Anyone can become physically fit for it.

Does anyone know how you become a Staff Sergeant or higher ranked than that Sergeant (U.S.)? I have never really seen what the purpose is, since Sergeant is still not an officer position.

• 2 weeks later...

I have considered it several times and while I'm not sure if I'll ever follow up with it, I guess it isn't a bad way of supporting myself and being able to serve a purpose.

Nope. I'm disabled, and I'm not fit for military anyway because of stupid and unwanted reasons to even join there. Plus I'm nearsighted and to top it off, I'm over-aged, so basically I'd meet NONE of the criteria anyway.

Yes. I have. :)

Spoiler

It was in my middle school years, actually.

My best friend and first true friend at the time had shared with me his family history. He had a LONG line of family members that had been in the military at some point, and he was going to join the Marines. He was kind of awesome, he could instantly identify any plane you show him. And since I admired him so much, I thought about following him down that route.

I didn't. I had family members that talked me out of it. Still, part of me will always feel like I should have. Didn't have to be the Marines, maybe the Air Force or Army would have been good enough.

My advice is if you don't think you would be able to kill another human being do not join the military.

I am extremely fortunate I never did that, not that the situation never happened, a jammed rifle saved my life and the life of another person.

My uncle who was in Vietnam wasn't so lucky, he killed a lot of Vietnamese and he's been haunted by nightmares ever since.

I thought about it a lot when I was younger, but as I grew older and realized I couldn't stand people yelling at me, I knew I'd be a very poor fit. Plus, my Mom said if I ever joined any branch of Armed Forces, she would kill me.