Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you understand Military Time?

Venomous

13 hours ago, Twilight-Sparkle17 said:

Yeah. You simply subtract 12 hours from military time to get what time it is in AM/PM, so I don't think military time is all that hard to understand.

O-eight hundred hours minus twelve equals minus four! :secret: Got it general!

(edited)

I do and have my phone set to it.

Generally the different clocks at my house are a mix with some being AM/PM and also analog (some roman numeral ones too).

I want to get a binary clock. I can read it but it still takes me a few seconds to decipher.

Edited by Cirrus.

(edited)
21 hours ago, HeavenSunset said:

what is military time?

Most of this thread is using "military time" as a synonym for "24-hour clock", which basically means times go from "00:00" to "23:59" instead of from "00:00 AM" to "11:59 PM". 

Technically a 24-hour time like "08:00" or "8:00" is not quite what "military time" means. I've never served in the military myself, but iiuc the military time would be written "0800" without the colon, always with the leading zero, and pronounced as "oh-eight-hundred", often with "hours" after it (sometimes abbreviated as "hrs"). I assume these little differences are all designed to make it harder to misread or mishear a number without realizing it, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Ixrec
  • Brohoof 1

I get a bit annoyed whenever people call the 24h clock "military time". It's just another example of americans being ignorant :derp:

And yes as I live in Europe ofc I know it. The only reason the 12 hour system exists in the first place is to fit the 12 hour analog clock (as 24 hours on an analog clock is hard to tell from a distance) but nowadays we mostly tell the time by digital clocks anyway and for digital the 24 hour clock makes way more sense. But as analogs still are a thing we still refer to the hours as 1-12 while speaking of something that is going to happen the current day. For example, if the current time is 10 AM and we are going to refer to the time 9 PM, we just say "at nine", because it has already been 9 AM so nobody would think that it is 9 AM I'm talking about. If times are specified for an upcoming day though, like when reading a schedule or opening hours, 19:00 would be specified.

• 1 year later...

I understand the 24 hour clock just fine. Though the way actual military personnel use it is a little weird. For example, pronouncing 10:00 am (which would be written as 1000) as "ten hundred hours" sounds like it'd be weird out of context, as if you're talking about a duration of time as opposed to a specific time on the clock.

• Brohoof 1

More or less. I've used a 24-hour clock for many years now (for fun because I like to be different sometimes, heh) and although I don't read it like actual military time, it (probably?) wouldn't be that hard for me to understand it if presented that way.

• Brohoof 1