Banner by ~ Sparklefan1234

General Do you understand Military Time?

13 hours ago, Twilight-Sparkle17 said:

Yeah. You simply subtract 12 hours from military time to get what time it is in AM/PM, so I don't think military time is all that hard to understand.

O-eight hundred hours minus twelve equals minus four! :secret: Got it general!

Register now to remove this ad.
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is what's used in my country as the regular time so I am more confused with the am and pm haha. Prefer military time.

I''m about as familiar with it as I am the Tenor Clef. That is... I can figure out what time it is, but I have to count from where I know to get there. (much better to have to do with the clock than a

I do.  I use it on my phone as well, and  We use it at work.   

(edited)

I do and have my phone set to it.

Generally the different clocks at my house are a mix with some being AM/PM and also analog (some roman numeral ones too).

I want to get a binary clock. I can read it but it still takes me a few seconds to decipher.

Edited by Cirrus.
Badges

(edited)
21 hours ago, HeavenSunset said:

what is military time?

Most of this thread is using "military time" as a synonym for "24-hour clock", which basically means times go from "00:00" to "23:59" instead of from "00:00 AM" to "11:59 PM". 

Technically a 24-hour time like "08:00" or "8:00" is not quite what "military time" means. I've never served in the military myself, but iiuc the military time would be written "0800" without the colon, always with the leading zero, and pronounced as "oh-eight-hundred", often with "hours" after it (sometimes abbreviated as "hrs"). I assume these little differences are all designed to make it harder to misread or mishear a number without realizing it, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Ixrec
  • Brohoof 1
Badges

I get a bit annoyed whenever people call the 24h clock "military time". It's just another example of americans being ignorant :derp:

And yes as I live in Europe ofc I know it. The only reason the 12 hour system exists in the first place is to fit the 12 hour analog clock (as 24 hours on an analog clock is hard to tell from a distance) but nowadays we mostly tell the time by digital clocks anyway and for digital the 24 hour clock makes way more sense. But as analogs still are a thing we still refer to the hours as 1-12 while speaking of something that is going to happen the current day. For example, if the current time is 10 AM and we are going to refer to the time 9 PM, we just say "at nine", because it has already been 9 AM so nobody would think that it is 9 AM I'm talking about. If times are specified for an upcoming day though, like when reading a schedule or opening hours, 19:00 would be specified.

Badges

I can understand it because it's often used where I work. But it does take a second or two for me to convert it in my head. So I understand it well enough but I don't prefer it. 

• Brohoof 1