Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Season 3 Discussion Forum Different Than the Others?

Fluttershutter

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

That's a good point though and I agree with @Fluttershutter.

Season 3 forum is unlike any other. All other seasons contain episode threads only, where the third season is filled with overall discussions, pushing the episode threads to somewhere in the middle. It is also contradicting with what the forum description says. Is it supposed to be like this? :ooh:

Shouldn't the non-episode threads be moved to FiM Show Discussion?  -or at least, as suggested, pinning the episode threads? Pa6CktV.png

Locating the episode threads in the season 3 forum wasn't the goal of this thread, so the feedback remains unanswered and therefore, I have reopened the topic. :twi:
Since this thread focuses on sharing an opinion & suggestion, rather than having a technical question/issue to answer/solve, I have moved it to Feedback.
I have also modified the thread title to give it a better context. mTzMRGZ.png

• The title was changed to Season 3 Discussion Forum Different Than the Others?

I had to check myself, but it is true. The Season 3 forum has a lot of posts that are not episode discussion. Most of the topics seem to reflect the controversial Princess Twilight with questions like: "Is Twilight considered sexist?" and "But, why call her "Twilicorn"?", where other topics are of a more status update caliber: "my impression of why twilight is a alicorn" "My theory." "Non-Alicorn Haters Post Here".

To try to answer the question, Season 3 was very different history wise for the show, for this forum as well as other places. That history is reflected and recorded in the Season 3 forum.

It might be hard to find a place for those threads. But is it possible to pin the episode threads to make them go to the top? That might be a quick fix? :ooh:

No, I think this cannot be fixed. I replied to a few threads in there, and it has the same property as the Welcome Plaza, where the threads do not bet bumped when replied to. The episodes are simply unable to be moved, and that must be the reason why they are so far back.

On 6/19/2020 at 7:05 PM, Splashee said:

It might be hard to find a place for those threads. But is it possible to pin the episode threads to make them go to the top? That might be a quick fix? :ooh:

I don't see why the FiM Show Discussion wouldn't be a good place for these, just like with every other season, that has everything (aside episodes themselves) discussed outside the forums with episodes, regardless of importance (i.e. historical value). Besides, these general discussion threads are nearly the same, discussing the same thing, so it's more spammy than necessary. :mlp_pout:

It is possible to pin these, yes. That would move them to the top, giving the spotlight they deserve for being in their own forum. Non-episode discussion threads being there would still contradict with the forum description and it still would make the season 3 forum be unlike any other however. Not a big deal, but it might make one EqE4vfd.png on what is going on there.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:09 PM, Splashee said:

No, I think this cannot be fixed. I replied to a few threads in there, and it has the same property as the Welcome Plaza, where the threads do not bet bumped when replied to.

It is because the default sort order in these forums is set to [Title]. That means, that whenever you enter these forums, all threads, by default, are sorted by the title in an alphabetical order. The idea behind this is to nicely align the episode threads (from the first at the top, to finale at the bottom) regardless to activity.

You can view the order and adjust it in the upper right corner (SORT BY drop down menu). For example, set to [Recently Updated] to "enable" that bumping, so to speak. Note, that it is only temporary, as the sort order will return to default the next time you visit the section.

Speaking of sort order, these sections are designed to nicely display the episode threads, so the non-episode threads being there make it rather obsolete.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:09 PM, Splashee said:

The episodes are simply unable to be moved, and that must be the reason why they are so far back.

The actual reason why they are so far back is that by default they are shown in an alphabetical order and because they start with the letter "S" (S03:E...) and are not pinned, they appear where they appear. "Enabling" them to be moved would still be far from perfect.

At the very least they could be pinned, which would keep them at the top in that nice order from EP01 to EP13. Threads are displayed like this:

- pinned threads, in the specified order
- then the rest, in the specified order

Anyway, I don't really see why these threads have to be there tbh. Sure, Twilight becoming a princess was a big step, but was it the only one in the entire show to make this season forum special by ignoring what its own description says? :mlp_icwudt:

Ultimately, I'm fine with either moving these threads to where they belong or at least pinning the episode threads, though personally I'd lean towards moving non-episode threads to the general FiM Discussion forum, just like it is with every other season. :darling: What I'm sure of though is, that the way it is displayed now is a ...mmmm.. complete disasterrrr :mlp_pout:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm this thread got quiet, so at least for now, I went ahead and just pinned the episode threads there, so that these are properly displayed at the top in the first page now. :darling:

Personally I'd also move all the rest to the FiM Show Discussion forum, but it's not really up to me to decide. :twi:

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Rikifive said:

Hmm this thread got quiet, so at least for now, I went ahead and just pinned the episode threads there, so that these are properly displayed at the top in the first page now. :darling:

Personally I'd also move all the rest to the FiM Show Discussion forum, but it's not really up to me to decide. :twi:

Thank you! I can finally respond to the episodes now :rarity:

Good job as always @Rikifive :Tempest: