Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Final Thoughts On Fame & Misfortune

YoungJustice12334

(edited)

I know it's been a Few Years ever since MLP's Season 7 & the F&M episode came out, but I still have A High dislike for the episode for these reasons:

The episode was being more concerned with spitefully taking shots at the adult fanbase than being entertaining & teaching the audience another good lesson about friendship. I’m aware that some MLP Fans can be toxic, but the fact that F&M Portrayed Bronies/MLP fans as nitpicking, whiny assholes just because they don’t unswervingly praise every single thing in the show to high heaven to me was just very insulting, and not all fans are like that.

Instead of the writers listening to Criticisms so they can improve from them, They create A mean-spirited episode which uses pointless thought-terminating clichés and has the Mane Six sing An entertaining but patronising song that basically says “Well we’re not flawless so shut up and stop criticising us”. That was a terrible move for Hasbro to be Bitter Towards their fans instead of accepting some of their criticisms. 

Another reason why I hated the episode One Bit because Not only was it horribly written, it also made Ponyville, The LITERAL Hometown The Mane 6 protected since the beginning of the show, into complete Idiotic and heartless morons. The way Ponyville treated The Mane 6 after what they've done to protect Equestria it came across to me as petty and incredibly immature, which are the two traits that describe the writers for making this episode.

I'm not saying the show's fandom was the sole reason for the episode being created but The writers were pretty stupid to go like "Yeah, let's dedicate an entire episode towards taking shit about the fandom that made your show go far beyond typical "Kid's Show" syndication" The episode’s message was basically saying “Screw the adult fans, the kid fans are way better and smarter” and to me, it was the most insulting message MLP Did.

Seriously, Twilight was the Princess of Friendship Around that time for crying out loud, Her and her friends never deserved the cruel treatment they received in that episode, & it kind of made Twilight becoming a princess along with The Mane 5 protecting Equestria from evil feel like it was all for nothing if Ponyville just spits in their faces for it. If I was Twilight, I wouldn't tolerate the toxic environment and would've fought back against the cruel environment for going too far and constantly harassing me.

Do you guys agree or disagree with me on that? I still hate the F&M episode to this day because The Mane 6 never deserved the terrible treatment from Ponyville.

I also found the episode to be a staple of the pride & hubris of the later show-runners.

Edited by YoungJustice12334
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I thought that the show wasn't going to take valid criticisms from the fandom anymore. They could have purely celebrated the show again like episode 100. But instead, they decided to focus on the negative side of the fandom. The references were too old, almost 3 to 4 yers. The jokes could have been more sophisticated. What Hasbo is aiming for is the audience’s cheap reaction. The fandom is so hungry for official fandom recognitions or fan services, whenever somepony says “Twilight was better before she got wings”, or derpy shows up in the screen, they flip. It was too easy to impress some audiences.

Everything might have worked if the episode was well made and fun. I think it wasn't. And the ending was nad whatever perspective you want to take it.

Flawless? It's a bad lesson. Being yourself and making excuses that nobody is perfect are two different things. Characters having flaws were never part of the criticism. That's what the writers thought the criticism was.

I also hate that they called M.A. Larson just to put his name on the credits for the name value and he didn't actually came up with those ideas.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

1 hour ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

I thought that the show wasn't going to take valid criticisms from the fandom anymore. They could have purely celebrated the show again like episode 100. But instead, they decided to focus on the negative side of the fandom. The references were too old, almost 3 to 4 yers. The jokes could have been more sophisticated. What Hasbo is aiming for is the audience’s cheap reaction. The fandom is so hungry for official fandom recognitions or fan services, whenever somepony says “Twilight was better before she got wings”, or derpy shows up in the screen, they flip. It was too easy to impress some audiences.

Everything might have worked if the episode was well made and fun. I think it wasn't. And the ending was nad whatever perspective you want to take it.

Flawless? It's a bad lesson. Being yourself and making excuses that nobody is perfect are two different things. Characters having flaws were never part of the criticism. That's what the writers thought the criticism was.

I also hate that they called M.A. Larson just to put his name on the credits for the name value and he didn't actually came up with those ideas.

I feel the same way you do on the episode, Pal. Very well said.

Also, remember when you commented on my Rewrite of the MLP Episode "A Royal Problem"? I thought Making it a complete standalone episode instead of A Flashback would be a good idea. However, I'm not sure if doing that would really fit with the overall nature of the MLP show Itself, considering the show has never done anything like that, and has kept all the stories that take place in the past relegated to flashbacks. Do you understand my reasoning?

3 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

If they wanted to reference the negative side of the fandom, I am surprised they didn't reference anything about Celestia getting hate in the early days about Luna or something.
Like the whole New Lunar Republic thing I've been hearing about.  Well.. I've been hearing Celestia did get some flak in the early days, right?

2 hours ago, YoungJustice12334 said:

I feel the same way you do on the episode, Pal. Very well said.

Also, remember when you commented on my Rewrite of the MLP Episode "A Royal Problem"? I thought Making it a complete standalone episode instead of A Flashback would be a good idea. However, I'm not sure if doing that would really fit with the overall nature of the MLP show Itself, considering the show has never done anything like that, and has kept all the stories that take place in the past relegated to flashbacks. Do you understand my reasoning?

If you have some good relevant topic to the current timeline, it's ok to make it a flashback.

But remember, A Perfect Pear isn't that great story by itself. Applejack's parent's are more meaningful as Applejack's parents than as themselves. So if you are going to make a story, the story itself has to be compelling, the charavters insidw thwm should bw compelling. If the frame that surrounds the flashbacks suck or irrelevant or is the other way around, it might be not as good as a goos standalone stoey. My other point is don't nerd about old Equestrian history or the sisters history, just make a good story.

Would your story still be good if someone whi doesn't know MLP watched it? Or only someone who saw past episodes and are a Celestia/Luna/Starswirl/Equesteian history fan? Make Celestia and Luna interestimg for what they are in your story. If it's a flashback, establish the relation between the separate times.

I'll just say it, most flashbacks suck.

More importantly, don't listen to me if you feel like doing it your way. I can both see a shitty flashback episode and a good flashback episode.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 7:23 PM, Megas said:

You’re final thoughts on Fame & Misfortune for what seems to be the fifth time 

I see, but I decided to add new reasons for it, because I felt like my first Post wasn't...I guess as well explained as this. 

Do you agree or disagree with my Points on why the episode was Terrible?

1 hour ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

Say what you want about the episode and yes, the residents were almighty jerks, but you gotta admit, this song is pretty flawless. :adorkable:

I agree, I consider the Song To be The ONLY Good thing about the episode, the rest of its aspects to me were terrible and insulting. While I liked the song, I also think of it as An entertaining but patronizing song, So it's not my most favorite song from MLP.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 7:12 PM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

If you have some good relevant topic to the current timeline, it's ok to make it a flashback.

But remember, A Perfect Pear isn't that great story by itself. Applejack's parent's are more meaningful as Applejack's parents than as themselves. So if you are going to make a story, the story itself has to be compelling, the charavters insidw thwm should bw compelling. If the frame that surrounds the flashbacks suck or irrelevant or is the other way around, it might be not as good as a goos standalone stoey. My other point is don't nerd about old Equestrian history or the sisters history, just make a good story.

Would your story still be good if someone whi doesn't know MLP watched it? Or only someone who saw past episodes and are a Celestia/Luna/Starswirl/Equesteian history fan? Make Celestia and Luna interestimg for what they are in your story. If it's a flashback, establish the relation between the separate times.

I'll just say it, most flashbacks suck.

More importantly, don't listen to me if you feel like doing it your way. I can both see a shitty flashback episode and a good flashback episode.

You have a few spelling errors in your Reply to me, but You do have great points with how my rewritten version of "A Royal Problem" can work.

BTW, One thing people tell me is they accuse me of being apart of the toxic fandom for hating The Fame and Misfortune episode, but I'm not honestly. I know some fans take it as A Way of laughing at themselves, but I personally don't find myself drawn to the episode. As for as Laughing at myself goes, I'm not one of the toxic fans, but I didn't find anything in the episode to be laughable. Seeing the lives of The Mane 6 getting ruined In a Single way wasn't funny to me, it was infuriating to watch, In fact.

It's infuriating to watch Applejack’s home getting invaded, Pinkie Pie getting laughed at whenever she talks, Rainbow Dash never getting two seconds of peace, Rarity’s business being boycotted, and Fluttershy gets harassed in the streets. That's not funny to me at all, the more I watch it, the more it pisses me off.

I respect their opinions and it's reasonable why the people that like the episode would think this, but I still couldn't find myself all that drawn to it, especially with the town's ponies being strangely unappreciative and overly nit-picky of these same ponies who SAVED Them from Evil numerous times in the past...Seeing the Mane 6 lives get ruined in a single day was just terrible and hard to watch. 

Any criticisms against the mane six made from the book are automatically bullshit to me because the journal only documents the lessons made at the end of each episode. The journal does not set out to make characters and tell stories. It's autobiographical and is made to share lessons. The TV show on the other hand is fiction. It does set out to tell stories and create characters. A fair comparison for the journal would be if the TV show was just the friendship lessons from seasons 4-5. Not the rest of the episodes. Just the lessons. If that was true, this episode shouldn't have been made because there'd be no fan criticism to base it on. You can't criticize something like that unless it gives a rancid moral. But that's not one of the criticisms that the episode goes for. Only the stuff that makes no sense in-universe.

So yeah. As a commentary on the fanbase, it came across as insulting and just terrible. When Ponyville argued that the mane six aren't real characters, It doesn't work when complaining about the criticisms of this show. It brings up arguments that make no sense in the show's universe and expects the audience to take the episode seriously when it takes the arguments down. By the end, the episode gives such little of a shit about justifying these arguments in-universe that they are literally using words like "character".

Just to be clear, I'm not apart of the Bad side of the MLP Fandom, but I don't like the episode, personally. 

I've once consider Not Asking for Trouble to be the worst episode of Season 7, and then Secrets and Pies but it wasn't as bad, but Larson's attempt to return to the staff of writers was just unacceptable. the description for the episode sounded A little terrible just by its description before it even aired for the rest of us to watch it on TV. And I was completely confused as to how Larson would think of us bronies faithfully when he wrote Slice of Life, and yet he attacks us with this crap saying "it's only for little girls, NOT for any of you older grown men!" 

I mean I've already heard Jim Miller making mean tweets about this in a similar manner, but Larson doing it through an actual episode, whether or not he MEANT it, is a completely different story. So how the heck could the townsponies not take ANY of those lessons the Mane Six learned in their friendship journals into account? And why the heck do they supposedly try to portray themselves as us bronies what with their thoughts on the friendship journal itself similar to OUR OWN situation on the show and its variety of episodes themselves?! And it is also beyond me as to why Larson would try portray the fandom what with the townsponies doing our parts, thinking that we're all mean-spirited towards like the crew (if the Mane Six were actually portrayed as the crew in this episode), not to mention any little fillies feel like the little children (besides little girls) who are into the show. Whether or not that's the case, it is undeniable that it should stand as more controversial than The Last Roundup when Derpy's original portrayal was offensive to the disabled.

The Fame and Misfortune to me Is A broken mess in every possible way, even if there was nothing wrong with the Mane Six, Starlight, or the Crusaders (or two other fillies that seem like throwbacks to previous generations of MLP). And the worst part about it to me is the song Flawles. It could've made a good song for another episode if written correctly, But It shoves that terrible moral Down our throats in the wrong way. It's almost like the episode was trying to make The MLP fandom, and other fandoms like like ours, look retarded and uncool, when it's not like that Entirely.

A Lot of MLP Fans tell me to take this episode as A way of laughing at myself, but I honestly didn't like it because of the reasons I stated. 

Do you agree or disagree with me?

• Brohoof 1

@YoungJustice12334 I don’t get pissed off that much at this episode, but I think this is the pinnacle of MLP fan-servicing and fandom recognitions in a way I personally don’t like. I said before in a different topic about the episode, that it is very easy to excite certain fans with cheap references.

I also saw M.A. Larson’s interview that he didn’t like the episode, most of the ideas were already written for him, he just got the credit because his reputation among the Brony fandom.

I think this is not the worst of season 7, but that’s because the episode is not boring and the execution itself is not badly done. I just don’t like what they were aiming for.

• Brohoof 1

On 7/25/2020 at 9:05 AM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

@YoungJustice12334 I don’t get pissed off that much at this episode, but I think this is the pinnacle of MLP fan-servicing and fandom recognitions in a way I personally don’t like. I said before in a different topic about the episode, that it is very easy to excite certain fans with cheap references.

I also saw M.A. Larson’s interview that he didn’t like the episode, most of the ideas were already written for him, he just got the credit because his reputation among the Brony fandom.

I think this is not the worst of season 7, but that’s because the episode is not boring and the execution itself is not badly done. I just don’t like what they were aiming for.

Okay, I respect your opinion, but it's still not my favorite episode. You can't parallel the critics of the show to the critics of the journal because the journal critics are acting like these real characters are fictional and the show critics are acting like these fictional characters are fictional, which they are. It breaks the correspondence and makes no sense.

BTW, I've been writing my own MLP OC, And I'm not quite sure if the OC's good. Is there A chance you can read it later?: 

https://mlpforums.com/topic/191745-my-very-own-mlp-oc-let-me-know-what-you-think-of-it/?tab=comments#comment-5854411