Banner by ~ The Wife of Hawks

Anyone think there should've been more original races?

I think the only real original race that was in the show was the draconeques and changelings. Other than that, every other race was based off of real life animals and myths. To me there could've been tons of ideas for races exclusively for the show. What do you think?

• Brohoof 1

Register now to remove this ad.

I think they should have stuck with original creatures. I know, horses alicorns and dragons arent original either but they were the focus of all the other MLP iterations. Its like if anime started doing live action shows and still calling itself anime. At the point they introduced new creatures that poked holes in the lore they should have renamed the show to My Little Creatures: Friendship is Something.

• teacup 1
Badges

No, chances are they would have made more species that were defined by one personality trait like the Yaks were

• Brohoof 3

I'm fine with what we got. They managed to make the different kinds of ponies and other creatures interesting in their own ways. If there's anything I'd have done differently, I'd have liked to see Earth ponies have something like the unicorns' magic and the pegasi being able to fly – their strength wasn't utilized as often...

The two you mentioned were quite fascinating, though, so we could have got something interesting... :ooh:

• Brohoof 3

14 hours ago, vgmaster9 said:

I think the only real original race that was in the show was the draconeques and changelings. Other than that, every other race was based off of real life animals and myths. To me there could've been tons of ideas for races exclusively for the show. What do you think?

No, keeping it simple is best. After all, the audince is young - for many of them this will be their first real exposure to a lot of classical mythical beasts. And even those of us who know the more common sorts probablly discovered a few new ones through the show.

It doesn't matter to me if there are mamy original races or little. Some of the traditional mythical creatures helped the fairytale-like quality of the show.

• Earth ponies : It's just ponies.
  • Alicorns : It fits the overall lore and concept.
  • Draconequus : Discord is the only kind, but it just explains his insane powers. Just like X-Men. "They are mutants."
  • Seaponies : Seahorses. Why not.
  • Parasprites : Fun idea.
  • Breezies : They are interesting, only thing is, I can't understand how they are not extinct yet.

On 6/13/2020 at 9:56 AM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

It doesn't matter to me if there are mamy original races or little. Some of the traditional mythical creatures helped the fairytale-like quality of the show.

• Earth ponies : It's just ponies.
  • Alicorns : It fits the overall lore and concept.
  • Draconequus : Discord is the only kind, but it just explains his insane powers. Just like X-Men. "They are mutants."
  • Seaponies : Seahorses. Why not.
  • Parasprites : Fun idea.
  • Breezies : They are interesting, only thing is, I can't understand how they are not extinct yet.

A shame they didn't touch more on the lore about alicorns though.

3 hours ago, nightshroud96 said:

A shame they didn't touch more on the lore about alicorns though.

I'm fine with that. I can tell if the more they started to explain it, the more messed up it would be.

I think MLP needed more Pony time. Too many creatures were added to Season 8 after the Movie, and it didn't help the brand. The only toys needed from the movie was Tempest, so at least they should have brought her to the TV series.