Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Environment Concepts - World Building

Hichigo

Hello! I wasn't sure whether to post here or Visual Fan art seen as though most of my work don't include an actual 'pony' in it, but, the foundations are there.

Anywho, the artworks I'm posting here are for a fic I'm writing currently. They're mostly for world building and such. For a bit of context, seen as though I haven't fully planned out what I'm going for because I am really terrible for procrastinating and getting distracted a lot. 

The world I'm creating has a sort of magic and steampunk technology is merged together.  So basically, portals have opened up nearly all the time, but not frequent enough for it to be completely normal, it's very very rare for a singularity to open up.

So, when these portals open up different things from multiple dimensions/galaxies you name it comes out the other end. And the inhabitants have basically taken these artifacts, pieces from different crash sites and merged it with their medieval and magic-filled kingdom. 

I would absolutely love it if you guys could give me a few ideas, I'm currently running on 5 cups of coffee right now brainstorming a lot of things. I guess it doesn't help that I've completely annihilated my sleep schedule so now I'm stuck with being awake at night and sleeping during the day. Reminds me of a certain co-ruler of a kingdom ;) 

concept_environment_coooonb10_done.png?w

Finished_Escaping_Isoola5tion_cqqqe.png?

New_landscape.png?width=1202&height=676

concept_equest.png?width=1440&height=642

Hope these are any good.

Cheers!

• Brohoof 3

This reminds me of a concept a friend of mine and I had as a child that was called the world of prairie or something like that. It started out as a means for various unrelated toys to fit into the same play setting, and the prairie aspect comes from the best way to factor in his shag carpet. :ButtercupLaugh:

Basically random portals through time and space created a hodge podge of things on this planet, and I guess grasslands made the most sense for what plant life could find it's way through and scour the surface quickly. It was kind of eery when the second Thor movie came out and they had a fighter jet fly through a portal, just because it was so familiar. People and things inhabited the world but it wasn't exactly prosperous, more along the lines of just getting by.

I terms of worldbuilding, I suppose there are the questions of just how much magic and technology is there readily available? what role do the portals play in this society, are they something to be feared, a divine gift, simply obscure? What factions are present, do any embrace or shun things that are present, do they want to control the portals, travel trough them, destroy them?

Things to explore.