Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Who's your favorite LGBT characters (couples)?

TBD

🏳️‍🌈Pride month is here and  one of the best way to celebrate it is by sharing our favorite LGBT characters and/or couples! LGBT characters are not well known back in the days by now they are getting more acknowledged, so post up your favorite(s) and why? 

Here's mine!

•  
Spoiler

• latest?cb=20180905125643

I love the sweet and sour dynamic between the two. Two are known to be very best friends but I already knew the way how Macy always playfully flirts with BB, i knew they'll make a cute couple! Now talking about the character itself, BB is okay but I like how she's like Twilight sparkle. But I love Marcy, she's truly a rock n roll vampire queen! 

• adora-she-ra-1024x590.jpg

They knew each other since childhood, but ended up going to separate ways (literally), Catra on the bad side and Adora on the good side. I love how their relationship started enemies to lovers! Catra who is vulnerable to emotions and hating to admits how she feels, while Adora who the only ones who can understand her without words, makes the couple perfect! Aside from liking these two as couple, they're all-round great characters especially Catra! she's so adorable and spunky!

• Most of all 32-captain-jack-harkness-1024x683.jpgd017a7902424c7746644f893e126be0e.jpg

There's nothing you can hate this guy. While he's smart and cunning as the Doctor, he actually shows his own fault and flaws. Which makes him a pretty tragic protagonist like the 10th doctor.  I like the relationship between him and lanto. When  the two works together it just clicks like crazy brainiacs fighting off aliens. I like the chemistry between the two

• 30493762-FD44-4A3E-9C64-6454F20C31F6.thumb.jpeg.210da60bf140cd62c43e216dba976794.jpeg

Angel dust is perfect! I love how violent and doing so in a fabulous way is what makes him a great character! I love how he so sarcastic, sassy and flirty. Plus I don’t mind his crude jokes since its hilarious 

I'm not sure if this counts but I like them as well

latest?cb=20200224234447

They seem to be confirmed in a sense of mlpf and as for EQG...I like 

tumblr_pc3sj2AcaL1vt5b9r_540.jpg

Not confirmed but I would like to think so!

• Brohoof 5

Applejack and Rainbow Dash. And before anyone replies to me with "But ThEy AreN'T CaNon!" Yes they are. MLP FIM Season 9 finale. Watch it. Also, the offical MLP Gameloft app and even Ashleigh Ball herself confirmed AppleDash canon recently. That's good enough for me.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Brohoof 6

(edited)
20 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Applejack and Rainbow Dash. And before anyone replies to me with "But ThEy AreN'T CaNon!" Yes they are. MLP FIM Season 9 finale. Watch it. Also, the offical MLP Gameloft app and even Ashleigh Ball herself confirmed AppleDash canon recently. That's good enough for me.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yoooo they left it ambiguous for a reason xD :adorkable:

There is enough ambiguity for it to not be pronounced canon.

Edited by Princess of Luck 🍀⚡🔥

While not officially cannon like the OP said,

c052fcf18e2cd5ffd686276b9d259d91.png

If only the pony ones pay off this way :Cozy:.Wait "Last Problem" never happened! :umad:

For Non-MLP

__sister_nana_weiss_winterprison_ashuu_s

tumblr_ogy7ltHEmW1u2vo2go2_500.gifv

Spoiler

latest?cb=20170907153434

Sister Nana and Weiss Winterprision from Magical Girl Raising Project.

d6vdugt-5e112bc2-1848-47b4-ac50-1608cfb5

Kyoko Sakura and Sayaka Miki from Puella Magi Madoka.

There's a lot of them, now that I think of it. Here's my favorites:

Todd Chavez - favorite character. 

1QngRCRO_400x400.jpg (400×400)

Princess Bubblegum and Marceline - favorite couple.

tumblr_phmwrqzgQu1rj5wdvo1_1280.thumb.png.e38926980292ece6e74ab10573c55279.png

Honorable mentions:

Spoiler

Lyra and Bon Bon

1734319.gif

Jack Harkness

QAqBf1Kb_400x400.jpg

Pearl 

13baf536c019f5880fb2eee0cf969ffa.gif

Ruby and Sapphire

tumblr_puaunrFcta1uk5pr5o8_1280.png

Ciri from the Witcher book series

thumb-1920-878168.jpg

Ed from The Man in the High Castle

latest?cb=20190406204349

Ymir and Historia from Attack on Titan

anime-attack-on-titan-82115.jpg

• Brohoof 2

I can never tell if Leeron is meant to an offensive stereotype or not due to some of his mannerisms and appearance, because he's unironically one of Gurren Lagann's most badass characters, he's highly intelligent and one of the most competent and likeable people in the team. Even in the most dire situations he's always managing to keep a cool head and show no fear

0a9f6f59ce6162e0f464662d4738c935.jpg

And Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune go without saying

image.thumb.png.aa14eb32f5133b0cba8f847b1e4a5384.png

• Brohoof 1

Looks like some people are going for the heavily subtexted, but I'll stick to the clear. Perhaps it shows my age, but I like Willow and Tara from Buffy

tara-and-willow-1024x682.jpg

and Haruka and Michiru from Sailor Moon

8087d821ec2fbfb72efdd06b81040caf.jpg

(Yeah, they're both girls.Although Haruka might be almost accidentally written as genderfluid or something.)

151298929-288-k580791.jpg

For other parts of the acronym, we have some more obscure characters. The first gay representative is Oren Pierre Alfonso/Kamen Rider Bravo. Sure, he's totally flaming and never in an actual relationship, but he's also badass (even besides in-show action, he was in the French Foreign Legion) and one of the more reponsible and competent adults in the show (Kamen Rider Gaim).

latest?cb=20150507111449

latest?cb=20191025131846

On the flip side, for someone so un-camp his closet didn't open till well into the sequel series (him being kind of young for relationships did help), we have

Spoiler

Nico de Angelo

from the Percy Jackson series.

As for actual gay couples, they're rarer, at least in stuff I follow... I think there was one in the Tamora Pierce book Bloodhound, but then one of them might have been a trans girl...besides that, nothing off the top of my head, although I don't know if that says something about gay represention in media or just my tastes.

Oh wait! - there's possibly Yukito and Touya in Cardcaptor Sakura? Toya-Yukito-Cardcaptor-Sakura-Anime.jpg?

At least Yukito definitely loves Touya that way, and Touya loves Yukito enough

Spoiler

to give up the magic which lets him see his dead mother to save him 

but I don't know if they ever actually got together per se. Still, it's worth checking out.

Bi-wise, several of the above characters have  had opposite-sex partners at various points. But for an iconic example, Captain Jack Harkness from the rather queer Doctor Who revival.23901086-7931989-image-m-47_158007529509

(Seen here in his recent surprise return, which I only just found out about.)

And as for trans characters... also a bit rare. Fish Eye from Sailor Moon SuperS might be an example, but I don't quite understand the way the Japanese twine gay, trans and crossdressing tropes around each other to tell for sure. (And in any case, a soul-raping villain might not be the best example.)

fish_eye.jpg

I do also have some fond memories of Alexis Meade (formerly Alex) from Ugly Betty. (She was kind of a terrible person, but so were half the rest of them and we still loved them for it.)

Alexismeade.jpg

In any case, thanks for asking - just racking my brain for these has been informative. I'm sure I'm probably forgetting some, but what can you do? Here's to more amazing characters from outside the cishet boundary in the future!

If you haven't seen The Pixar Sparkshort on DisneyPlus simply known as "OUT", go watch it. Since it's still relatively new, I'm using the spoiler box

Spoiler

Greg and Manuel

Screen_Shot_2020_05_22_at_9_57.41_AM.0.thumb.jpeg.9404ef1de3ac9db8bf086c936aab438d.jpeg

IMG_2876-550x537.jpg.ac9bd7b468ea24928d2dafa7ca48157e.jpg

Greg is the one struggling to come out to his parents, especially to his mother. And with a little magic, he learns that he has nothing to worry about

While Manuel does not have as much screen time, the simple fact he encourages Greg to tell says that he knows Greg's folks will understand.

Spoiler

And the moment where Mom hints she knew all along and was more hopeful that her Greg will find a guy who loves him as much as his parents do.

(edited)

Really hard to decide all of this with the good examples of LGBT representation that exist now. Some of my favorite individual LGBT characters would include:

Seven of Nine (Star Trek)- if nobody knows, she was confirmed to be bi (as she pursued relationships with male characters in the past and now pursues a relationship with Raffi) in the last episode of the first season of Picard, so she counts. I liked her as a character already but felt this extra layer to her was executed pretty well and fleshes her out in a way that only made me like her more as a character.

1064024973_SevenofNine.thumb.jpg.05420bb76a56b15ff80c67fd6cc36cb8.jpg

Angel Dust (Hazbin Hotel)- No I don't mention him here just because in some ways I want to be like him :sealed:... No, I mention him here because he is a great character. Even if he is eye candy for the gay crowd who like more androgynous appearing guys or for those men who like "traps," I feel like even in the pilot we see some nuance in his character. Even if he revels in his more violent actions at this point, I can already see the wheels turning there. Not to mention, sex jokes. :P

Angie.png.499f5a7bb1416f93c0b140f95637203c.png

As for couples, one obvious one comes to mind: Ruby and Sapphire (Steven Universe). Not only has their love persisted for 5000 years, but gosh dang it they're so cute together. :catface:

image.png.a6edb187e799d540a49db3d418aab448.png

And another one, I at least consider obvious but tragic enough to note for the gay end: Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar (Brokeback Mountain). Unfortunately it had a very sad ending that I'm not going to spoil even if the film is 15 years old. :(

34317398_BBMountain.thumb.jpg.77f3ce217df017141198414d3455db56.jpg'

Frankly I should make a whole list devoted to this subject.

Edited by Dustlicious ( > ω < )
  • Brohoof 3

I though of another rather obscure character from an anime I'm doubt many have seen.

340?cb=20140116164207&path-prefix=protag

Luna Tsukuyomi from Day Break Illusion. She has a romantic interest in the main character so she counts (IMHO). I'm not into the shy tyoe characters, but I believe she is written well enough to think she fits the bill in context of this thread.

I'm surprised Lyra and Bon Bon haven't been mentioned more (or maybe an MLP couple is too obvious a choice :arethosehands:). They're my favorite MLP couple, and seeing their proposal was one of my favorite moments in season 9. :rarity:

And Angel Dust (who was already mentioned) is also amazing, my favorite character so far in Hazbin Hotel. :yay:

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I almost forgot! On Duck Tales, Violet Sabrewing and her adopted sister Lena have two Dads! I was very happy to see that Disney did that.

Their shirts are so cute!

Duck-Tales-Violet-Sabrewing-and-her-fathers.jpg

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

Dorian from Dragon Age Inquisition has always been a favorite of mine. He is a character that doesn't seem gay at all on the surface, the only obvious hint is that you can pursue romance options with him as a male character. I think he is one of the best characters in the game itself and I really like how him being gay actually ties into his backstory and the relationship with his family, which that relationship he has with them isn't great. He is also one of the few characters that can really make that kind of mustache work well. :P

Dorian

8344987cd19b7187222b1cf86d70dac1.jpg

Angel Dust, obvs.

Angel+dust+is+cute+a+case+study_5496b1_7

And at the moment that's all I can think of. Being tired doesn't do well for the thinking.

• Brohoof 3

latest?cb=20160414233016

Sheriff Blubs and Deputy Durland (Gravity Falls), Alex Hirsh and a storyboard artist Dana Terrence confirmed it.. TBH, I thought the finale confirmed it that they were a couple :wau:. I mean just look at the above image! If that isn't true love, then I don't know what is. I mean these two were obviously meant for each other.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, China (100% NOT China) said:

Almost forgot about these! Albeit I am not sure it is (mostly) one-sided.

Wikipedia says "According to a panel in 2014, it was hinted that Historia may have reciprocated by the confirmation of them being a 'couple'." This (+ their interactions in the series) is good enough for me, for now at least.