Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony Life Episode 1 and 2 Treehouse premiere thread.

CastletonSnob

12 hours ago, Midnight Danny said:

I've watched the episodes from Pony Life and my opinion is l don't really enjoyed it. To be really honest and l hope you will not getting upset because of me, l'll prefer FIM more than Pony Life. Even the theme song, l don't really like it. 

Oh, trust me. Nopony in the right mind would think that this monstrosity is better than FiM. ;)

Just now, TomDaBombMLP said:

Oh, trust me. Nopony in the right mind would think that this monstrosity is better than FiM;)

When l watched, it doesn't seem like Friendship is Magic. The locations, the world is just... yikes, i don't like it! And l bet there won't be any lessons about friendship in the next few episodes on Pony Life. 

Finished Part 1 of Episode 1.

Is this supposed to be a comedy? The comedy is way too simple and plain so far. I haven’t laughed once. Even though they’re supposedly friends, Twilight and the others are too quarter-dimensional and dumb to see her as such.

• Brohoof 3

Watched the first two episodes. Not disappointed. They were exactly as meh as I thought. 

16 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

I haven’t laughed once. 

I haven't even smiled, even though I tried to.

The name of the second episode - The Best of the Worst - says a lot.

Spoiler

c2d.jpg 

>eating their way out of the flan

Uh, Twilight, Rarity, you DO know you have horns, right? Or is magic ability in this world more useless than during the Movie?

13 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

>eating their way out of the flan

Uh, Twilight, Rarity, you DO know you have horns, right? Or is magic ability in this world more useless than during the Movie?

This, I gotta see.

For now, going with the middle ground and give it a meh rating.  Overall the episodes felt like mini Friendship PSAs that one would see at the end of 90s cartoons and anime.  I can see a lot of running jokes already starting to form that'll likely show up as it goes one, but we'll see.  Nice that they kept the same voices, even if for whatever reason, AJ sounds really tired.  I'll probably still watch them, no real reason not to.

• Brohoof 1

Princess Probz is finished.

Can we give this ball of Aspartame an oxygen tank?! Everything here is just snap, snap, snap. Literally no time at all to breathe! It’s one thing to be one continuous 11-minute episode, but Princess Probz is two five-minute parts with their own acts fused together. There’s no sense of pacing here.

The audition scene is easily the worst one. If there were any jokes here, it was tough finding one at all, much less a decent one. Not one laugh came out of this scene. Instead, it was a complete ball of cringe.

If there was one positive, it’s the last joke. At least Pinkie’s Applejack impersonation was chuckle-worthy. Other than that, Princess Probz is just shit.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
25 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Princess Probz is finished.

Can we give this ball of Aspartame an oxygen tank?! Everything here is just snap, snap, snap. Literally no time at all to breathe! It’s one thing to be one continuous 11-minute episode, but Princess Probz is two five-minute parts with their own acts fused together. There’s no sense of pacing here.

The audition scene is easily the worst one. If there were any jokes here, it was tough finding one at all, much less a decent one. Not one laugh came out of this scene. Instead, it was a complete ball of cringe.

If there was one positive, it’s the last joke. At least Pinkie’s Applejack impersonation was chuckle-worthy. Other than that, Princess Probz is just shit.

Just finished that one, too.

Applejack involuntarily face-hoofing got a small laugh out of me, I was a bit amused by the slapstick in the audition part.  On the whole---I liked the pacing of FiM much better; this is way too fast for its own good.  And the scenery---is this taking place on an island in the middle of an ocean of pink lemonade or something?

We'll have to see how it develops and if it builds on itself; Pinkie Pie exploding and reforming is...weird.

EDIT:

I watched The Best of the Worst, and it felt like it was better-paced; RD went through quite a few emotions, and the flow seemed natural.  I still miss FiM's depiction of Ponyville (not everything looked like food-with-bites-out-of-it there!), but at least it felt like there was real conflict and an actual plot; it didn't feel that way with Princess Probz.

Edited by HereComesTom
  • Brohoof 1

Just like Rise of the TMNT, no brain substance.

So we have cute ponies..... Eh, and some sort of animations? Voice acting? 5 minutes per episodes. Where are all the cool songs?

I don't recognize the writers of the show. I don't feel this is even worth Bronies React, as there is nothing to react or laugh to.

I also kinda miss the Friendship being the important part of the show. There is no Friendship talk, only weird hugs?

• Brohoof 2

There is definite potential to be had here judging from what I experienced watching these two episodes, but I'd need to watch more to provide more accurate feedback. Suffice to say, my own verdict is sure to be a positive one since I'm very easy to please.

• Brohoof 1

I enjoyed these two episodes and feel that people were overreacting to this more than ever now. It's definitely not FiM quality...because it's not shooting for that. It's just trying to be a harmless, funny kids show and it's a decently funny one at that. :fluttershy: 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I have now seen the first two episodes.

Spoiler

In spite of the series having had quite a negative reception before its airing, I wanted to give the show a chance – trailers and such haven't always been the most representative in the past. Did I like the episodes? Based on these two, I think they're not at the same level as FIM at its best, something I didn't even expect. But were they terrible? Definitely not. There's a lot of MLP content I've seen that was worse – the recent web shorts, for example, and I did find these two episodes more entertaining than FIM at its worst.

The first episode was a positive surprise. While it had a very different tone from FIM and was rather hyper at times, I thought that was quite a good fit for a Pinkie episode. The second one also had some good moments, placing Rainbow Dash in a situation I couldn't have imagined seeing in an FIM episode, but again, I think it was handled well. There were some nice and funny moments, and Smallfry was cute (I must admit I thought he was a cat rather than a pony).

The art style worked well in motion (better than I expected), hearing the familiar Mane 6 voices again was very nice (one of the things that gave me hope in the first place) and I liked seeing the new characters, too. On the other hoof, the rapid-fire pace of the first episode could be a little too much if it became a constant, and I'd like to see more serious episodes once in a while. But the good things about Pony Life make it worth a watch, though I'm doubtful about it reaching the heights FIM did. If I had to give it a rating, I think I'd go for a good 8/10 at the moment.

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 8

@Tacodidra I mostly agree with you, but I thought that the pacing and conflict in Best of the Worst was far, far better than the pacing and conflict (or lack thereof) in Princess Probz.  It makes me wonder why they put Princess Probz first, since it was going to be the first impression of the whole series?  Maybe because of the fanservice of Celestia loving cake and AJ breaking the 4th wall?

• Brohoof 2

Just now, HereComesTom said:

@Tacodidra I mostly agree with you, but I thought that the pacing and conflict in Best of the Worst was far, far better than the pacing and conflict (or lack thereof) in Princess Probz.  It makes me wonder why they put Princess Probz first, since it was going to be the first impression of the whole series?  Maybe because of the fanservice of Celestia loving cake and AJ breaking the 4th wall?

Spoiler

Could be that. Another possible reason I can think of is that the episode focused on the familiar characters (the Mane 6 and Celestia), who (with the possible exception of Celestia?) will appear in most of the episodes. Putting "The Best of the Worst" as the first episode might have overemphasized Dishwater Slog and his significance as a character (I wouldn't be surprised if he was a one-off character).

On a completely different note, I noticed they credited five people with "additional lyrics". Maybe we'll be getting some songs in the series soon! :ticking:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
7 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Princess Probz - 384.6 MB for a ten minute cartoon? That doesn't seem right. Should be between 50-90 MB. Not sure I want to risk that giant download.

Back on edit. I just grabbed it off of PonyTube at 48.1 MB. Based on what I just watched, I doubt if I'll bother with any other episodes.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

Just watched both episodes and I have to echo how weird it is to have two parts to such short episodes but I guess it works? FIRSTLY, I have to point this out immediately: Some of the animation errors were baffling. In Probz, Twilight's wings disappear twice. In Best of the Worst, Rainbow's tail disappears at least once and her wings also vanish at one point. That was simply very off to see.

That could be attributed to the fact that the pace, especially for episode 1, is indeed like it is crack induced. I do feel that episode 1 falters in many ways. It is simply too fast, gives no time for any kind of real setup and the ending was...weird. It wasn't the worst thing ever but I didn't feel much of anything while watching it. I would probably rate it a 3/10.

Episode 2 definitely did better. It actually had some kind of pacing and setup which was an immediate improvement. They actually slowed it down a tiny bit and it is amazing how well that works compared to the first one. The plot is strange but kinda cute in a sense that Rainbow just has to win at literally everything but then that goes into what I see as a softcore self acceptance message, which I am always down for even if it was very simplified here. This episode also got a few laughs from me which the first episode really didn't do (Even if it had good humor, episode 1 was so fast that you can't appreciate it regardless). Fluttershy saying "Noice" while casually flying upwards was a treasure. :P I also adore how Rainbow Dash says "My buddies! What's up?" near the beginning. <3 Dishwater Slog, despite an incredibly stupid name, was actually done kinda well all things considered. He's kinda generic but he's voiced well and had a somewhat unique gimmick. I will say that Rainbow's new babby fan was strange but whatever. I'd rate episode 2 at least a 7/10.

So that's how it seems to be right now. Episode 1 is sadly a pretty bad first impression with its psychotic pace of madness, but then episode 2 shows that they can slow it down a bit and do more with the characters. Clearly, this show is what it is setting out to be. A very light hearted, not serious at all cartoon and I welcome that as long as they can keep it more like Best of the Worst. Personally I am curious on what they do next. The animation overall is super cute and I dig it.

• Brohoof 2

C&P'd from my status:

Now finished the first half of Pony Life's Worst of the Worst. *chuckle* So far, this one's not as annoying as I feared. Unlike the former, the pacing's better, and some of the jokes, especially toward the end, were pretty good. Nothing special, but at least entertaining.

Now for Part 2.

Dishwater Slog's a pretty flat character, but they really hamming in how mediocre and lazy he is to comedic effect. He's every bit putrid and proudly so, but because of its light setting, you tend to laugh more from him than get pissed. Also, unlike the former, the characters feel a lot more like friends while staying silly.

OK, NOW onto Part 2!

• Brohoof 1

Eh, they Teen Titan Go it but it's okay. :dash:  I personally liked the animation style of the show and it feels like YouTube already completly spoiled the series. I think it's going to be short running series.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

>DS just intentionally tripped over Smallfry and has no regret hurting him

Me as the crowd right now:

ETA: Delicious that Dash called him out for succeeding at being a jerk. :sneer:

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

And so ends Best of the Worst. Between this and Princess Probz, this one's much better. The original was Diet Coke-high madness, but this felt more cohesive. Slog more than deserved to have his game blow up in his face at the end. He's such a proud loser that he can't win playing by his own rules and got pissed off when Dash said, "screw it!" and destroy his ideas. Also, the M6 feel more like friends who care for each other and didn't act like idiots for the sake of the story.

So, the grades so far:

1. Princess Probz: F
  2. The Best of the Worst: B-
  • Brohoof 4