Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

FINALLY, a Pony Life trailer.

CastletonSnob

To be honest I'm way less violently opposed to this than I was to the trailers for My Little Pony: The Movie, which this somehow still seems more subdued than. The videos linked by @VG_Addict suggest to me that this series may be a little more grounded than I expected, but then again I have no experience with Teen Titans Go! or any of the other shows like that. It doesn't really seem like what I want out of My Little Pony but an (even more) exaggerated slapstick version of this series is still more appealing to me than some of the serious stuff in the later Friendship is Magic seasons. Maybe I'll try an episode or two of this, but I just can't get over the art style, which I'm really not into. 

11 hours ago, Cl0udChaser said:

I rather watch this instead because they look so adorable in clay. :wub:

maxresdefault.jpg

Those shorts have such a cute art style. I wish I liked them more. 

• Brohoof 1

"Pony Life is its own thing, don't compare it to FiM, judge it on its own merits".

Except Pony Life is being promoted as a spin-off of FiM, and is obviously trying to cash in on the show's success. Maybe this argument would hold water if it used new characters, but It's using the characters we're familiar with from FiM, and even has the VAs reprising their respective roles. It's absolutely fair to judge it based on how it compares to the original show. It's like saying that Teen Titans Go shouldn't be judged on how it compares to the original, when it has the same characters, VAs, and even the same writers as the original Teen Titans.

Except, Pony Life has no reason to even exist. Part of why Teen Titans Go is so hated is because it was made after the original show ended on a cliffhanger, so fans were disappointed that the show never got a definitive ending. FiM had a definitive ending, and Pony Life is just a cheap cash-in so Hasbro can make more money off G4 before G5 comes.

(edited)
41 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

"Pony Life is its own thing, don't compare it to FiM, judge it on its own merits".

Except Pony Life is being promoted as a spin-off of FiM, and is obviously trying to cash in on the show's success. Maybe this argument would hold water if it used new characters, but It's using the characters we're familiar with from FiM, and even has the VAs reprising their respective roles. It's absolutely fair to judge it based on how it compares to the original show. It's like saying that Teen Titans Go shouldn't be judged on how it compares to the original, when it has the same characters, VAs, and even the same writers as the original Teen Titans.

Except, Pony Life has no reason to even exist. Part of why Teen Titans Go is so hated is because it was made after the original show ended on a cliffhanger, so fans were disappointed that the show never got a definitive ending. FiM had a definitive ending, and Pony Life is just a cheap cash-in so Hasbro can make more money off G4 before G5 comes.

If you're judging TTG in comparison with the first Teen Titans show, boi, lemme tell ya you're watching it wrong.

Teen Titans Go should be watched either by being oblivious to the other show or by being versed on the show and comics too.

In the first case, you'll enjoy the deconstruction of the heroic things and the acid humor with a lot of serious terms being played literal. Is a good parody and a bit too random, but no biggie on it. You'll learn a lot of the DC universe as well in case you have only watched the usual tv animated series.

If you approach it trying to be versed in both the earlier show and the old comics, you'll enjoy it even more because their constant mockery of the golden and silver age dc references and deconstructions, and their tackle at plots from the previous show and how it at times managed them poorly, giving us several idiot ball moments. The constant idiocy in the characters is a way to jab at them and their somewhat ridicule portrayal on the other show. TTG just flanderizes them because the concept itself of the deconstruction is easier to work that way while it might not be the best.

It works because they are still aknowledging the comics and the other show, unlike thundercats roar which just slapped calarts and random humour in a serious work that didn't do much to expand on its lore and thus couldn't offer much material to mock.

From what we've seen about pony life is that it won't take itself seriously like later FiM seasons did, which is good given how episodic FiM was and how blatant childish many parts of its later lore resulted to be. It also is already laughing at its girly nature by the mare main theme with all those lyrics. A very subtle joke I noticed comes from the teaser videos, being the AJ one the last to come (if it even did, that id), aknowledging both how neglected she was and how the fandom jokes about her being just a background pony. The way she constantly breaks the 4th wall on the trailer also serve to help the subtle joke on how unimportant to later FiM she had became all they can do with her is serve as a meta feedback to point out things. Even the word used for her on the opening is part of the whole joke. She's just "Fine", and that's about it.

I think there's a huge double standard with all the hating of this spin off but the acceptance of the low quality monster high rip off and the cashgrab movie with very little continuity within the show. This show is self aware and makes fun of its source material playing with concepts took literally and a dose of cynism. It of course won't be ground breaking like FiM, just like seasons 3 and forth weren't, but it looks fine for what it is.

Edited by Jesse Terrence
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

You know, with all the crappiness of the world at large right now, I would say this does have a pretty good reason to exist as a rare entertainment I can actually look forward to.

TTG is an easy negative comparison to make, but it could just as well have a much more inspired brand of slapstick closer to Gumball, especially given it's being animated at the one of the studios involved with that show. Some of the gags on display in the teasers do indicate a more satirical tone.

Edited by n1029

2 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

FiM is already over, you can say all you want about Pony Life's existence but the fact that it's completely separate from the main show means that its not gonna do anything to affect the main show. If Pony Life sucks then it sucks and FiM will still be there

Spoiler

In fact, the fact that it's separate from the main show already makes me prefer it to S9 and S6 by default

• Brohoof 1

Ok I am 100% on board with this. No its not FIM. Its not supposed to be. Its a funny light bit of show that will tide us over till G5. Seriously Everypony is it not possible to separate what things are supposed to be any more? 

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Jesse Terrence said:

See how they are missing aj?

Yes. I don't know why, but AJ has been talking to the screen a lot (breaking the 4th wall). Maybe she is special and cannot be shown? We will have to see when the episode drops!

Also Rarity is so British :confused:

And Twilight Sparkle, is that still Tara Strong? She said she would leave before G5. Maybe this isn't G5 :wacko:

Anyone got enough of that theme song? It's quite obnoxious after put on repeat!

Edited by Splashee

2 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Yes. I don't know why, but AJ has been talking to the screen a lot (breaking the 4th wall). Maybe she is special and cannot be shown? We will have to see when the episode drops!

I think is a meta joke. Besides, what's up with just saying "fine" during the opening when she comes out during the last roll out?

They are trying to play us like fiddles, I tell ya!

• Brohoof 1

On 6/20/2020 at 3:18 AM, VG_Addict said:

Yup and if you don't give cash the franchise will die...its really up to us.....

4 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Btw why does RD look fat....

She looks a little bit in those thumbnails, I'm sure some people will love her design, she's Rainbow Dash after all :dash:

I must say I didn’t like the first episode. It was going to fast for it’s own good. The second one was much better. The central conflict was focused and handled better. As expected, Pony Life isn’t something I would fall in love with. But unless they do more Princess Probz, it’s harmless

On 6/20/2020 at 9:47 PM, Splashee said:

Also Rarity is so British :confused:

And Twilight Sparkle, is that still Tara Strong? She said she would leave before G5. Maybe this isn't G5 :wacko:

Anyone got enough of that theme song? It's quite obnoxious after put on repeat!

I was gonna mention this in my last post because I think someone else brought this up, This isn't G5. It's more of a spin-off of G4.

Also, yeah! I totally noticed that Rarity had an English accent instead Trans-Atlantic American accent on the first shot I had to animate her in. I'm not sure what happened there. ^_^You'd be surprised how many people thought she had an English accent in the original FiM as well, a lot of people can't tell the difference.

14 hours ago, ExtraThicc said:

I was gonna mention this in my last post because I think someone else brought this up, This isn't G5. It's more of a spin-off of G4.

Also, yeah! I totally noticed that Rarity had an English accent instead Trans-Atlantic American accent on the first shot I had to animate her in. I'm not sure what happened there. ^_^You'd be surprised how many people thought she had an English accent in the original FiM as well, a lot of people can't tell the difference.

I can probably not tell British accents apart :sealed:

• Brohoof 1

On 6/20/2020 at 10:31 PM, Splashee said:

Theme song:

Did anyone get annoyed at the "Friendship, rainbows, wuh-oh!" in the lyrics? I sure did. Does anyone know what kind of song style that belongs to? (0:25 in the video)