Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think it was a bad role model for kids how the Mane Six treated Spike in earlier seasons?

Sepul-Coloratura

(edited)

Do you think it was a bad role model for kids how the Mane Six treated Spike in earlier seasons? (The negatives like how he was kind of a punching bag) All jokes aside, do you think kids would think it would be ok in real life because Twilight did it and she seemed ok with it?

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1

Lauren Faust did have a certain way with the stories at this time. I have always had a problem with how Spike is treats, but I also wished he wasn't there. They didn't need to bring the dragon into FIM.

For me, I don't need gag characters.

I still support the two and a half seasons of FIM where he was a punching bag gag thing. I wish it could have continued under Lauren Faust's regime

Kids should learn to listen to adults... Spike is one of those kids...... If he wanna hang out with them he needs to learn how he socialize with them...thus the following series.... He was treated better....er. plus dragon code

I think there’s way worse role models in this show than how Spike was treated. I feel each character has had their fair share of being treated poorly by others, so I think that counters it out.

The problem is it could be considered abusive the level of neglect and such. It was pretty bad in some parts when they were so uncaring to someone they SAW AS A CHILD! There was no need for slapstick to stay with a single person for so much. It felt so cruel and unnecessary in many regards.

Luckily they did fix this.

I doubt the kids would've really noticed to be perfectly honest. I mean, we noticed it because we analyse everything. I noticed it as well. I really saw it in 'Fall Weather Friends' when Spike was used as the test subject in the Iron Pony Competition.

But he did save the Crystal Empire, didn't he? 

tenor.gif?itemid=13647590

While Spike was often the butt of jokes and whatnot, I don't really see it being a bad influence for kids. Kids know a lot more than what we give them credit for and I don't think it would leave that much of an effect on them, other than maybe a laugh at best.

• Brohoof 1

It's called slapstick! And that applies to any character, not just Spike. In fact, even back in the very first episode, Twilight herself was accidentally and humorlessly knocked back when Fluttershy rushed right pass her to take a look at Spike! Start at 1:30

All throughout the very first season, Lauren Fuast herself insisted that just because the Mane 6 are girls, that doesn't mean they must not be the victims of Slapstick

It's not Spike Abuse it's slapstick that's excusable because it's a cartoon and Slapstick knows no gender.

Besides, kids are smart enough to know not to take everything at face value so seriously, unlike certain over-analysists cough*gametheory*cough

• Brohoof 1

On 6/21/2020 at 10:19 AM, TomDaBombMLP said:

I doubt the kids would've really noticed to be perfectly honest. I mean, we noticed it because we analyse everything.

Kids are subconsciously being affected by odd behavior, even if they don't fully understand why.

Spike was definitely and still is an odd cartoon rabbit. We'll see how he is going to be treated in Pony Life. They didn't change his visual appearance, meaning they still don't know what he is for other than being a cartoon rabbit. Making fun of him at his expense is what I am expecting. Maybe it will teach kids in an early age how to be more effective bullies? Or maybe it will help preventing bullies by learning to take a beating, to ignore and just be beaten that is, and make yourself the class clown in the process. Spike really is an odd one, in this show about Friendship.

• 2 weeks later...