Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tirek Regarding Discord's Magic

Darkness Void

Watch Season 4 Episode 26 and Season 9 Episode 24 and 25 before reading this topic.

I asked Jim Miller this but he never answered it (I actually think he outright avoided the question as he had answered another question with rather quick responses).

Since Tirek stole Discord's magic way back in Season 4, why was he so loud about how "nobody but Discord could control his magic" later on? I mean Tirek backstabbing Discord was such an important key factor in the arc of Season 4 that if the writers had forgotten about it, I would be truly surprised.

While Season 9 had carefully planted seeds and fatefully used them, I do feel that it was rushed near the end. Tirek's insistent on Discord's magic is in the top 2 reasons why I believe this. If not for this one factor the villains would had used EVERY MAGIC that the Bell had stolen and just imagine if Grogar's magic was fused with Alicorn magic...

But, what do you guys think? Is there a logical in-show reason for why Tirek is suddenly unable to use Discord's magic?

• 1 year later...

I think it's because to Tirek, there's a difference between absorbing Discord's magic and just having the magic itself

When he's absorbing the power, Discord's magic is treated like an energy source to boost his power, while having it is like trying to use a controller with a lot of complicated functions

Plus, I think Tirek's insistence on none of them having Discord's magic is so that none of them can betray each other

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-03-10 at 11:23 PM, Reality Check said:

Plus, I think Tirek's insistence on none of them having Discord's magic is so that none of them can betray each other

That would've actually had been a good reason. Tirek is smart enough to be considered the show's smartest villain, but to be fair he and the other 2 just stood there to be rainbow zapped instead of firing their full might like he did with Twilight back in S4. Curse you time limits..

Realistically the reason was the writers probably either forgot or were hoping we wouldn't notice. Season 9 has more plot holes than Chrysalis's legs. 

Something similar happened in the season 8 finale where ponies were losing their magic yet Pegasai were still able to fly.  

Edited by Rumpelstiltskin