Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Mint chocolate's New Friend

Victoria Everglade

OOC thread HERE

@Illiad Easle

Mint Chocolate covered a small yawn as she made her way to her shop. Luckily for her, her shop wasn't far from her home, so it was a nice, short walk in the brisk morning air. She'd unlock the door and go about setting things up, the tables, the produce she had for sale and samplers, before flipping the sign on the door from saying Closed to saying Open. She would then go behind the counter, sit down and read a book while waiting for her first customer.

• Brohoof 1

@Lazy Ferret

Blu Baseplate had recently moved to Canterlot from Ponyville, the previous night in fact, and so he set off in the morning to acquire food for the day and to keep in his rather barren cabinets. Before he had acquired much more than a few odd vegetables his eye was caught by the sight of Mint's chocolate shop. You know what? I think I deserve something nice. And Sparkler isn't here to tell me otherwise. I'm an adult now and I can do what I want with my money.

Plan in mind he stowed his previously acquired foods in his bags and crossed the street to enter the chocolate shop, sniffing the air as he entered to see if he could guess by smell what type of chocolates they had while he looked about the assorted wares. He would nod towards Mint when he saw her, but wouldn't call her attention just yet as he was content, for the moment, to browse, enjoying the smells of the chocolates as he thought about how good they looked. 

@Illiad Easle

As the stallion walked through the door, Mint looked up from her book, as she heard the little bell that alerted her to new customers. She would nod back to the stallion and gave him a warm smile, and would approach when he wanted her attention.

Inside of the shop,  there were of course, various chocolates on sale. Some were the usual chocolate blocks, either plane or had some sort of twist flavor to them, and then there were those that had flavored centres. She would look up and smile, getting up and walking over to the counter, "Hello and welcome to Mint Chocolate's Chocolatier, please let me know if I can be of service"

@Lazy Ferret

Blu was impressed by the selection, and further that the prices weren't prohibitively expensive. When Mint introduced herself he turned to face her, "With a name like that I'd certainly hope so, mint chocolate is my favorite kind after all, followed by white chocolate but that's beside the point. I was wondering what sort of mint do you have? And if you're the same Mint the store is named after? Or do you just work here?"
Inwardly he cringed, he had asked too many questions too quickly, no doubt this wouldn't go well.

@Illiad Easle

Mint would smile happily as she would hear Blu's queery and would nod enthusiastically "Ooh I am so happy to meet another Mint chocolate enthusiast, and to answer your questions, yes I am indeed the one and only Mint Chocolate, and I have all kinds of mint going from the usual spearmint and peppermint to other flavors such a new range I just made, orange mint" she would say, getting out the sampler "Please, try one, I'd love to hear your feedback"

@Lazy Ferret

Blu looked a little unsure, "Orange mint? I think I'll pass on that one, I've had an orange after brushing my teeth enough times to know that citrus and mint don't mix." he shuddered at the memory, "Still, I'd be happy to try any of your others, I don't think I've tried much spearmint chocolate before."

His horn lit up as he went over to where Mint was displaying the samples, but instead of simply picking up the chocolate he pulled a fancy looking glove, like one a griffon would wear, which he would then use to grab one of the offered samples, looking it over before trying it. (You'll have to tell me which one he got.) "So, you have a lot of time here? Or did you just recently get started as a chocolatier?"

@Illiad Easle

Mint would think a moment and laugh "Why didn't I think of that when I thought of the combination?" she asks with a giggle and puts them away "Ah well, I'm sure there's some strange pony that likes the taste out there" she'd say and then look to him.

Blu would have picked out a white chocolate spearmint piece.  It was another combination that she was trying. She always thought that there should be more flavors with white chocolate, aside from the usual double and triple deck bars. She would smile, "How do you like it?" she'd ask and then nod "Yeah, I've been here for a few years, as for how long I've been a chocolatier, I've been one since I was sixteen, which was about hmm ten years" 

@Lazy Ferret

6 hours ago, Lazy Ferret said:

"How do you like it?"

Blu was surprised by the flavor given it had been an unassuming white piece when he picked it up he had not expected the minty sort of candycane flavor he got. He nodded with an impressed smile, "Quite the combination there, a bit more potent than a white chocolate peppermint, but not overpoweringly so. You'd need a good way to distinguish it visually though, prep the tongue before it arrives, but otherwise very good."

6 hours ago, Lazy Ferret said:

"Yeah, I've been here for a few years, as for how long I've been a chocolatier, I've been one since I was sixteen, which was about hmm ten years" 

Blu was again surprised, "26 then? I suppose it's not too surprising to be a shop owner at that age with such experience, but I can't say you look quite that old, maybe twenty, tops. But I can see why you've stuck around, you certainly have the knack for it."

He'd glance around the shop again before he remembered something and turned back to Mint, "You wouldn't happen to sell hot chocolate would you? I was just reminded of this excellent mint truffle hot chocolate I had... a while back. I haven't had anything like it since, and I thought, given your name, maybe you'd have something in that vein? Or just some mint truffles would be excellent."

4 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

@Lazy Ferret

Blu was surprised by the flavor given it had been an unassuming white piece when he picked it up he had not expected the minty sort of candycane flavor he got. He nodded with an impressed smile, "Quite the combination there, a bit more potent than a white chocolate peppermint, but not overpoweringly so. You'd need a good way to distinguish it visually though, prep the tongue before it arrives, but otherwise very good."

Blu was again surprised, "26 then? I suppose it's not too surprising to be a shop owner at that age with such experience, but I can't say you look quite that old, maybe twenty, tops. But I can see why you've stuck around, you certainly have the knack for it."

He'd glance around the shop again before he remembered something and turned back to Mint, "You wouldn't happen to sell hot chocolate would you? I was just reminded of this excellent mint truffle hot chocolate I had... a while back. I haven't had anything like it since, and I thought, given your name, maybe you'd have something in that vein? Or just some mint truffles would be excellent."

Mint smiles and nods, glad he enjoyed the sampler. "You're right there, I felt something was missing and you solved it for me" she would smile "hmm maybe a small carving of a spearmint leaf?" She wonders out loud. It was when he said she didn't look much older than 20, she would blush a little "Thank you, but yeah I'm 26, and as for selling hot chocolate, I sure do. And a mint truffle hot chocolate? I'm sure I can whip something up for you"

@Lazy Ferret

7 hours ago, Lazy Ferret said:

hmm maybe a small carving of a spearmint leaf?

Blu nodded, "Or perhaps shaping it like a candy cane? A light blue stripe might help as well."

7 hours ago, Lazy Ferret said:

and as for selling hot chocolate, I sure do. And a mint truffle hot chocolate? I'm sure I can whip something up for you"

Blu smiled at the offer, "Would you? Wait..." he looked into his bag and grimaced before turning back with a sheepish expression, "I may need to come back tomorrow for it, I don't start my new job until tomorrow and I'd hate for you to go through the trouble of making it and I not have the bits to pay you for it. As much as I love hot chocolate I should focus on more staple foods until I start getting paid."

@Illiad Easle

Mint would think a moment "Hmm..the shape of a candy cane might be a bit too confusing for others, but the blue stripe would work well..a lot less work than etching a leaf on each individual piece" she'd say and then look to him. She would think for another moment before smiling "How about this, as a thank you for helping me with my new combination, I make you one on the house?" she would suggest "One good deed deserves another, ya know"

@Lazy Ferret

Blu smiled a small, genuine smile, "I would like that, I'm happy to help however I can, it's the least I could do anyway." He'd look to see if there were somewhere he could sit to wait/enjoy the drink, it hadn't looked like the shop was set up to entertain guests long term, but he could easily have missed a seating area if it had one. "Is there anything else you needed help with?"

20 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

@Lazy Ferret

Blu smiled a small, genuine smile, "I would like that, I'm happy to help however I can, it's the least I could do anyway." He'd look to see if there were somewhere he could sit to wait/enjoy the drink, it hadn't looked like the shop was set up to entertain guests long term, but he could easily have missed a seating area if it had one. "Is there anything else you needed help with?"

Mint would smile before going to get the hot chocolate "hmm..not right now, but thank you, and there's a seating area just around the corner" she'd smile and went to make his mint truffle hot chocolate. 

@Lazy Ferret

Blu would nod, "I'll wait over there then, thank you again Miss." He would head over to the seating area and take a seat at one of the tables. While he waited for Mint to return he pulled out his list of things he had to do. It certainly wasn't long or detailed compared to Princess Twilight's but it was much longer and more detailed than most ponies. Similar to how he had held the chocolate, rather than hold the list with his magic he held a glove with his magic and used it to hold the list. He then pulled out another glove to hold a pencil with which he started checking off items and writing in new ones between the others.

@Illiad Easle

Soon, Mint would return to him with the drink "Honestly, this is the first time I've made this, so I hope I made it right" she would say with a cheerful smile and place the mug on the table. It was on a saucer which also had two gourmet marshmallows on it. "Please do let me know if I need to change anything" she would say, looking over to his list curiously

@Lazy Ferret

Blu set down the list as Mint approached, sniffing the air to try and get a whiff of the chocolate before it arrived. "Thanks again, I'll be sure to give helpful feedback, maybe if you get good enough at it, you could expand your business to sell drinks as well?" He flashed some magic over his gloves, cleaning the smudges from the list off of them before using one of the rounded talons to press down on one of the marshmallows, testing its sponginess. "Did you make these yourself too?" he asked before taking a bit from the one he pressed, placing the rest of it along with the other in the cup itself. He savored the bite he had taken before taking a slow careful sip of the drink, holding the saucer with one hand and the drink with the other.

Blu's list was mostly just a detailed grocery list including types and amounts of food he needed. He had added in his trip to the chocolate shop with the items 'Try hot chocolate' and 'Test candy' among the foodstuffs.

@Illiad Easle

She smiles "As much as I would love to say I did, no, but I get them in special order" she'd smile "I only use the best ingredients that I can afford" she would say, and giggled a little at the two items about her shop "I hope I surpassed your expectations" she would say "Oh another customer, I gotta go, but please do tell me if I made the hot chocolate right when you're finished" she'd say, making her way to greet the newcomer

• Brohoof 1

@Lazy Ferret

Blu would continue drinking the hot chocolate, going back to working on his list as he enjoyed it. While it was far from the best version of the drink he had enjoyed, it was obvious there was a lot of heart in it. He was sure if she kept at it she'd be good at it, but simply melting mint truffles into milk wasn't going to make a good mint truffle hot chocolate.

Once he was finished with his drink he stowed away his list and brought the cup and saucer back to Mint, "It was very good for a first attempt, I've have to try it again soon. But I've got to get to the market before they close up. I'll be back some other day though, you can count on that."

If Mint didn't say anything that needed a response, Blu would leave the store and head off in the direction of the market. It would be about two days later that he returned to the store, a bit later in the evening.

@Illiad Easle

Mint would nod "Alright, I'll keep practising, thank you for your input Blu" she would say with a smile "hopefully the next time you come into my store I will have it made better" she says as she thanks him and waved to him as he left the store.

Two days later, and she would see Blu walk through her doors "Hey Blu, I went with your suggestion for the blue stripe on the mint white chocolate, and ponies have been loving it" she greets him "and I've been practicing making hot chocolates"

@Lazy Ferret

Blu gave a faint smile as he entered the shop, looking about to see if anything had changed about it since he last entered. "That's good to hear, I'm glad that I was able to help out." He'd come over to the counter to browse her selection, "And I'd definitely like to try one of your more practiced versions of the hot chocolate, especially after the kind of day I've had. I didn't realize that working in the archives would be such a difficult job. It does, however, pay well. So I'll be more than happy to pay you for your services today. Do you think I could buy a small box of those white chocolate mints?"

@Illiad Easle

Mint smiles as she gets out a small box for him "Ah, work can be hard, but also rewarding, and of course, that will be twenty bits please" she would say, handing the box to him "and I'll bring the hot chocolate right out, just find a seat and I'll bring it out" she says, as she then accepts the bits from him and puts them in her register.

@Lazy Ferret

Blu smiled as he stowed the box away in his bag before turning to head for the seating area, "Take your time, I'm in no hurry."

When he got to a seat at an open table he briefly considered going over his list again, but instead put his head on the table to wait with his eyes closed for Mint to arrive. If she took long enough he might actually have dozed off by the time she arrived.

@Illiad Easle

About five minutes later, Mint would approach his table with a more practised version of the mint truffle hot chocolate. She places the saucer and mug down on the table "Here you go, please enjoy it and tell me if I have gotten better, I do appreciate your input"

@Lazy Ferret

Blu was startled a bit when Mint set the cup in front of him, lifting his head with a start. "Ah, thank you. I shouldn't take long, or I'll end up sleeping here instead of my house." As before he pulled out his gloves to operate the cup and saucer instead of just using his hooves or using his magic directly. He'd take a sip and pleasantly note that the drink was much creamier this time, the mint flavor likely added by a leaf and oil directly rather than melted out of a mint chocolate, and the chocolate itself was almost decadent. It wasn't perfect yet, but it was a marked improvement from the first attempt, Mint seemed serious about trying to improve. It reminded him of...

He sighed, and set the cup down, No, it wasn't meant to be. It never could have worked out.

... Why didn't I say goodbye?

He took a shuddering breath as he calmed himself before finishing the rest of it as fast as he could without hurting himself, quickly returning it to Mint at the counter, "Much better this time, you really do know your stuff." He seemed happy, but was obviously distracted by something. He'd pass a few extra bits over the counter, "You deserve it, I... I'll be back later."

It would be three days before Blu returned, looking as tired as ever and no small bit preoccupied as he browsed. It was likely he didn't even see what he was looking at with the blank expression on his face.

@Illiad Easle

Mint would be happy to receive the tip and smiled "thank you Blu, I'll be sure to have improved more when you come back" she would say, smiling and waving to him, though she could see the distant look in his eyes and begun to worry.

Her worry on worsened when he hadn't returned until 3 days later, and he looked like he hadn't slept at all. "Blu" she would say softly, going over to him from behind the counter "A-are you alright? You look absolutely exhausted and like something has been bothering you"