Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Far from home. 1x1 with Illiad Easle

Catpone Cerberus

Ædriga had nothing else to say about that so she fell thoughtful again, this was a odd situation to her, she did understand the concept of undead, something dead still being somewhat alive, but she didn't understand anything about it, how would one kill something that's already dead? would that even be killing, how would you know they would be gone and not just paralyzed or something...her thought then drifted towards the idea of undead dragon, one of her kind, but unable to die...she shivered from the though.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle
Ædriga
 thought for a second, pinpointing where they were at the moment, her sense of direction wasn't magic, but she could use it to pinpoint the location well enough to figure from surroundings where they were. She pointed in the direction of the cave, it may not have been exactly in that direction, but it was close enough that if they went in that direction, they would see it "There." 

• Brohoof 1

@Catpone Cerberus

Ætheron thought the cave was about that direction as well, so he nodded and continued to follow Ædriga's lead. He wondered what exactly he could say to keep conversation moving, as it was it was the single longest conversation he had had in a good long while, maybe even his whole life, so it wasn't exactly his strong suit. "What did you think of the griffons in Trottingham?" (Pretty sure they were last in Trottingham) 

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle
"Griffons like ponys." Ædriga said after thinking for a second "But no see many griffons, some maybe not good, like some ponys no good." she had seen enough to be able to tell that these species were bit more complicated than the prey animals she was used to, as in, all of them didn't act the same. She still used 'no good' instead of 'evil' because in her eyes that was more accurate, as she didn't mean only the worst of the worst, and instead meant also those that were simply unpleasant to be around. "Fish griffon no happy I no like fish." she felt weird about it, she didn't quite feel bad, but it was a shame it went like that.

• Brohoof 1

@Catpone Cerberus

Ætheron chuckled, "Griffons don't like being compared to ponies much, but you're right. They are very similar."

When she spoke on the fish griffon he shrugged, "He takes great pride in the fish he catches, so I think he was disappointed when you didn't appreciate them like he does, but I wouldn't worry about that, plenty of creatures aren't fond of fish, he won't think less of you for it. Maybe someday you'll be able to recognize the difference, once you are settled somewhere and can be more selective about what you eat."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle
"I want like fish, fish easy food." Ædriga said in rather matter-of-fact way "But I no like, I eat fish, but no like fish." for bigger individuals of her kind the size of the fish was a negative, because they required so many fish to feel satisfied, but for her it was the taste, it wasn't bad per say, but it wasn't good either. "Where I from, no many fish, some fish yes, but no lot." there weren't many rivers or lakes, those mainly being on the mountains surrounding the homelands, so the main source of water was caves that had filled up with water with time, and since those caves had never been in contact with a sea or such, no fish had ever made their way to them.

• Brohoof 1

@Catpone Cerberus

Ætheron thought about what Ædriga told him, "Hmm, I know that there are a few different ways to prepare fish so that they taste different, far better in my opinion than raw. We'll have to see if there's a way to cook fish that you'll like but beyond that there shouldn't bee too much worry, you won't find too many fish in this forest anyway, not many good rivers here."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle
Ædriga thought about what had been said, she did understand what preparing meant, but it didn't really tell her anything because...well, she never prepared food, her kind ate raw meat. She didn't say anything more as she didn't really know how to continue on that topic, and they were probably close enough to the cave they were going to rest in that she didn't have time to come up with another topic. 

• Brohoof 1

@Catpone Cerberus

Sure enough they soon broke through the treeline and arrived at the same cave they had stayed in that morning, Ætheron let out a sigh of relief as he took a seat at the mouth of the cave, "The trips back from Trottingham are always the heaviest I think."

He quickly, yet carefully, removed his harness and set it aside, stretching out without the burden, "You doing alright with your set? It's not too heavy for you is it?"

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle
"I good." 
Ædriga said as she proceeded to take of her harness, she may have been small, but she was still a dragon, and thus she was strong for her size, though it didn't mean she didn't need to stretch a bit too. She also walked and jumped around a bit to get her muscles moving after being restricted by the burden. She would then go sit next to Ætheron if he was still sitting "You? You good?" 

• Brohoof 1

@Catpone Cerberus

Ætheron was surprised to see Ædriga taking a seat beside him, but decided not to point it out lest she think better of sitting so close. He let out a deep breath before responding, "Yeah, I'm good. Just getting older is all, I'm not the spry stallion I used to be, haven't had to work quite as hard as I used to here." He motioned out at the world, "It's so much more peaceful here than where I'm from, it is easy to grow soft here."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle
Ædriga thought about what to say, she didn't really know how to response since she couldn't really relate, not only because she was very young in dragon years, but also because her kind didn't really experience increased weakness with age, quite the opposite, the only way for her kind to become weaker in her eyes was if they got so big that they couldn't find enough food to keep up the strength, a problem that could present itself here if it wasn't for the fact that she was stunted.

Not knowing what to say to that, she just nodded and focused on the latter comment "Yes, lot more easy here." "But you no ..soft..." she hadn't used the word before so she focused a bit more on how to say it "...or, yes you soft..." she poked her scales "...but no soft.." she pointed at her head, the brains to be precise. basically she was saying that he was soft and squishy, but not soft in the head "You stay when big dragon want hurt I, I say I more soft." 

• Brohoof 1

@Catpone Cerberus

Ætheron hadn't expected her to pick up on the meaning so quickly, and chuckled at her attempt to make him feel better, "I suppose you're right. Still, were I the way I was when I first arrived... I would have tried to fight you when we first met. So perhaps it is better for the both of us that this land has softened me, but I am still strong where it matters. I may not pose as much of a threat as before, but I'd sooner die than leave another to suffer when I could prevent it."

As she chided herself on her lack of resolve he shook his head, "You are strong too, it takes courage to go and do things you haven't before, to meet those ponies and griffons, you are a strong dragon, both in body and heart. You can have many friends here if you want them."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle
It wasn't that 
Ædriga had picked up the meaning for word 'soft' just like that, the word had floated in her mind for a while now, she just hadn't figured out to use it in this context before, as the examples had been with physical softness and hardness, but it didn't take genius to go through what it could mean in used context, assuming of course she had gotten the right meaning and not something that was close enough to seem like it.

She shook her head "No, I maybe no soft like pony or other, but I soft dragon, small and soft dragon." "Big dragon soft too." "If no soft....strong?.." she waited a second hoping a nod or head shake from Ætheron to confirm if she had understood right, but regardless of if it came or not, she continued "...no here, ...strong?..dragon stay where I from."

That was the truth, she was here because she was too weak to survive back in the homelands, both physically and mentally, and the other dragon they had met, she didn't know her, but she knew that she would not be here if she could make it in the homelands, she may be lot stronger than Ædriga, but she was weak somehwere, she wouldn't otherwise be here acting like a pony

• Brohoof 1

@Catpone Cerberus

It took a bit for Ætheron to fully understand what Ædriga meant by what she said, but nodded once he got her meaning, "It sounds like there's a certain level of pride that comes from remaining where you came from, one would only leave if forced to, rather than simply looking for better land. I think there is much truth to what you say, that dragon wouldn't pretend to be a pony if they didn't gain something from doing so. Still, one of the wonderful things about living here is that you aren't constrained by what others think about you, you are free to do what you want, be what you want, you are free to do whatever makes you happy, fulfills you." He looked over at His harness then back at Ædriga, "Where I came from, one's worth was determined by their strength or wealth, but here I am valued for doing what I like to do."

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@Illiad Easle
Ædriga nodded "Where I from, if you no strong, you dead." for them there wasn't really individual worth, you were either strong or weak, but other than that everyone is equally worthless, and while they hoarded treasure, it was less a show of worth or wealth, and more a way to say 'I have stolen this much and can defend it.', it was a good way to know who to not mess with because there was limited amount of treasure in the homelands, so if someone managed to gain a huge pile of it, it meant the were very dangerous opponent. 

"I like here, but you no can what you want here." she then said, challenging what Ætheron had said a bit "You no can eat what you want, take what you want, I know why, but not all free." "All no can what all want, no here, no there, is no possible." "one from two, strong say what can and no can, or others say what strong no can." she wasn't complaining really, she understood the need of limits, but she also wasn't naive enough to buy the 'you can do anything you want' thing, 

Edited by Catpone Cerberus
  • Brohoof 1

@Catpone Cerberus

Ætheron was surprised by her rebuttal, and while it was lacking in words it was clearly a lack in her vocabulary, and not in her understanding of the circumstances. "That is very true, the ponies have strength in their numbers, and as such can impose some restrictions on what is allowed. And it is true that there are some things you can't do, but I've found that most of those things aren't necessary for being happy. While you can't just take things you want, most things can be earned some other way. This work we're doing, they give us gold in exchange held in a safe place in one of the cities. Gold can then be exchanged for other things like those crystals you like. Sure it might be easier to just take what you want, but when you earn it no one else can take it from you without putting themselves at odds with all the others. You don't need to fight to protect."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle
"I understand." Ædriga stated "And I like, more easy." "Where I from, I want, I hurt other." "Here, I want, no hurt, help, I help, other give what I want." working as a thing to her was a great thing, it was so easy to get what you wanted, all you needed to do is to do something they want you to do, there was no need to risk one's life for getting something. She also wasn't as greedy as many others of her kind, she just wanted to have a some amount of something in a place where she could be in peace. 

• Brohoof 1

@Catpone Cerberus

Ætheron smiled and nodded at her statement, "Is there something you want? Something other than gold or crystals? Something you could never have where you came from?" He idly wondered what his own answer would be. Perhaps she had never thought of there being worth to things that weren't material. That would be an interesting thing to share with her. Experiences like music and art, things you couldn't horde.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle
Ædriga though for a moment, but not because she didn't know the answer right away, she did, she just had to think how to say it, as the exact word was still missing from her and she felt taking the book and trying to find a fitting word would ruin the conversation "I want cave, or other where no dragon, pony or other animal or no-animal can hurt I." "Where I can sleep, eat and learn when and how I want, and no others come hurt I." she knew she technically said the same thing twice, but the meaning was bit different, since the first part meant safety and the latter was peace, and since friendly visits weren't really a thing for her kind, her assumption of course was that if anyone wanted to bother her in her own space, it was to steal from her or to attack her. She then hesitated a moment before continuing in slightly sad tone "And family." she had accepted a long time ago that it was most likely never to happen, she was too weak and small to be desirable by her kind, and she wouldn't have been able to protect her offspring against other dragons anyway, not to mention the fact that her weakness would most likely be shared by her offspring, and she didn't think it would be fair to doom someone like that. 

• Brohoof 1

@Catpone Cerberus

Ætheron was on board with everything she said, up until the end, where he was inwardly conflicted. I can give her a cave, I know a number of great ones that would fit the bill perfectly, not too far from one of the cities so she could go in and learn at her leisure. But a family? I could maybe be a partner to her, but I don't know if I could ever give her foals of her own. There might be some magic to allow that, but I wouldn't want to keep her from having children if it couldn't be made to work out. Besides... she'll outlive me by several centuries. It wouldn't be fair to do that to her. What if she never moved on after I died? She deserves someone who can grow old with her.

His concern was likely apparent on his face, but he did his best to move past it, "I know of a few caves that might work for you, as we go about doing deliveries I'll show them to you and you can see which ones you like."

He decided he might as well ask a prodding question, see if he even need worry, She may not even think of me that way. "You want family with other dragon?"

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle
"Dragon and no dragon can family?" 
Ædriga asked, she had noticed Ætheron's concern and had been about to ask about it, but what he said had taken her focus away from that, she also appreciated the promise he had given regarding caves, but again, the last part had taken her attention. She was thoughtful for a moment, "Dragon, no dragon...." she shrugged "...I want family who say I mother." she drew on the ground, she drew a dragon, then two question marks to where a father and a kid would be, she didn't know for sure what the question mark meant exactly, but she had seen it been used in end of questions "Family like..." she pointed at the drawing in general, then pointing at the 'kid' "....say I mother, but, no...need?... like..." she drew lines that showed the usual family connection, mother, father and their kid, the word 'need' was unsure as she hadn't used it before "...can like..." she then removed the lines, and instead drew two more question marks, from which she drew lines to the 'kid', before pointing at it again "...I no mother, but say I mother." 

Basically she was saying that it didn't need to be a biological family, she just wanted a family where there was someone looking up to her as their mother, she wanted to be what she didn't have, a caring mother. Having a partner of some sort would have been great too, even just a friend to call the father, but that wasn't as big thing. It of course would have been better if it was her own biological offspring she took care of, but with her hereditary faults and her acceptance of reality, she was open for adoption too as long as it was young enough to see her as the mother.

• Brohoof 1

@Catpone Cerberus

Ætheron was visibly relieved that Ædriga felt the way she did, or at least based on his understanding of what she had said. "It is not common here where two different types of creatures make a family, but it does happen. Maybe you'll find someone you want to make a family with." He was not about to suggest himself, as again he didn't know if she thought about him that way. He would much rather believe that there was a chance then have said notion rejected outright.

He let out a yawn, "We better get to sleep, lots of walking tomorrow if we're to get to Ponyville before nightfall."

• Brohoof 1