Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Was The Movie On Freeform?

rybird

Okay, so I saw that yesterday, the movie was on Freeform. I believe it was the first time the movie was on cable (at least to my knowledge). I was quite surprised though. Why wouldn't it air on Discovery Family where the show originated? Other theatrical films based on shows have (the Rugrats movies have been on Nick and Teen Nick, The Powerpuff Girls Movie has been on Cartoon Network and Boomerang, and The Simpsons Movie has been on FOX, FX, and FXX). 

Not to mention a surprising censor at the end, even in a PG rated film.

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, rybird said:

Okay, so I saw that yesterday, the movie was on Freeform. I believe it was the first time the movie was on cable (at least to my knowledge). I was quite surprised though. Why wouldn't it air on Discovery Family where the show originated? Other theatrical films based on shows have (the Rugrats movies have been on Nick and Teen Nick, The Powerpuff Girls Movie has been on Cartoon Network and Boomerang, and The Simpsons Movie has been on FOX, FX, and FXX). 

Not to mention a surprising censor at the end, even in a PG rated film.

What did they have to censor? Something about The Storm King breaking apart? 

4 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

What did they have to censor? Something about The Storm King breaking apart? 

No he definitely fell and shattered xD I was late to see it and watched the last couple of minutes 

• Brohoof 2

I saw the MLP movie on Universal Kids too a few days ago. If I'm not mistaken Freeform is owned by Discovery which of course owns Discovery Family which is at least partially owned by Hasbro so Freeform therefore has the ability to air the MLP movie. I remember when I took a class in media for my filmmaking I learned that most TV channels are owned by a small group of companies. Discovery owns a lot of channels including things like OWN. Disney and ABC overlap and Disney might have $$ deals in Discovery. Nick and a bunch of other channels are owned by a company called Viacom. 

4 hours ago, Gaines said:

No he definitely fell and shattered xD I was late to see it and watched the last couple of minutes 

I doubted it was that, personally. I truly have no idea what they'd need to censor at the end. 

3 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I doubted it was that, personally. I truly have no idea what they'd need to censor at the end. 

I’m trying to figure that out too..

Freeform airs random movies on their midnight schedule spots. They’ve aired The BoxTrolls the next day and previously, they’ve aired Good Burger at midnight 

17 hours ago, StitchandMLPlover said:

I saw the MLP movie on Universal Kids too a few days ago. If I'm not mistaken Freeform is owned by Discovery which of course owns Discovery Family which is at least partially owned by Hasbro so Freeform therefore has the ability to air the MLP movie. I remember when I took a class in media for my filmmaking I learned that most TV channels are owned by a small group of companies. Discovery owns a lot of channels including things like OWN. Disney and ABC overlap and Disney might have $$ deals in Discovery. Nick and a bunch of other channels are owned by a company called Viacom. 

freeform is actually owned by Disney. 

17 hours ago, StitchandMLPlover said:

Disney owns National Geographic so they don’t need Discovery and they have Net Geo Wilds competitor Animal Planet. MLP isn’t owned by Discovery. It’s owned by Hasbro and MLP aired on Discovery Family because Hasbro acquired 30% of the network. The Movie specifically is owned by Lionsgate and AllSpark Pictures. 

I really wish it would play on the BBC or something. We don't have Discovery Family in Ireland so all I can do is stream. The BBC play movies all the time for all ages. Maybe they'll play this someday. :-D

• 1 month later...