Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Are graphics everything?

Muffinnz

Good graphics are nice but aren't essential to me, as long as the gameplay is good I don't mind too much about graphics. I spend a lot of time playing old games so pretty used to less advanced or dated looking graphics.

• Brohoof 2

Great graphics don't exactly mean a good game. Look at Final Fantasy XIII, for example: amazing visuals in a game hampered by bad AI and a bad battle system. Of course, the inverse is true with graphics: Home Alone 2 on the NES has abysmal graphics and also abysmal gameplay.

TL;DR: While great graphics are nice, the gameplay shouldn't be an afterthought.

• Brohoof 2

If graphics were the most important thing, then the two most popular games in the world wouldn't be Minecraft and *gags* Fortnite. That's why next gen consoles being hyped up so hard once again on visual prowess seems foolish at this point. I used to be one of those people that would be so excited to see what "graphics" the new tech could produce. Nowadays I simply couldn't care less, hence why next gen isn't exciting me at all at this point.

Nah, graphics aren't everything. They're nice, don't get me wrong, but after a while, playing a game with tons of bugs in it gets really annoying, no matter how nice the graphics are.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Graphics really only matter for games with a sense of realism to them. Minecraft gets thrown around a lot for the simplicity of its design, but there are mods for textures and shading that are in demand for a demographic looking to shape the scenery of their world. Minecraft is unique in that it offers several forms of game play for its users.

TF2 gets thrown around as well, but it is heavily stylized. This works/ages well because it's done well enough to ground it self. There's impact with how you interact within the game just from moving around and decent sound effects and animations for the weapons.

Call of Duty is a game that's gotten better graphics with each addition to the series, and it makes for amazing visuals. They want to make you feel like you're really there. As I said, grounded. But I look back and see this being successful with pretty much every FPS game I've played. Back before the official start of this series, there was Medal of Honor. It'd be described as clunky at best in terms of its appearance, but I'll never get over the genuine terror I felt from a guard dog made up of distinct polygons.

The only time I've been taken out of a AAA game by graphics is when I did so on purpose to examine the fallen enemy, or I became stuck on a level and wasn't able to focus on a mission because I wasn't advancing. And that's the most important part of a game, your mission/task at hand.

If your game doesn't look like a mess, then the graphics aren't all that important for it. That being said, I very much appreciate the effort and would like those trying to fully immerse me to keep doing so.

Edited by SharpWit
  • Brohoof 1

I do think good graphics help immerse the player in the game a little more. Obviously, it isn’t everything. The gameplay and sound are important as well. Personally, I love watching Digitial Foundry analyze the graphics of a game. 

• Brohoof 2

Personally, things like lore are what keep me interested and a good or at least tolerable plot.  It could have the worst graphics but as long as it keeps you engaged, it's a good game.  So no, I don't believe graphics are everything, they just add icing to the cake and make it look pretty.

• Brohoof 2

Good graphics are nice, but I can play a game that has crappy graphics, however, if the game has bad graphics, then it has to be really good for me to play it, while I may be more forgiving to a game that has great graphics.

• Brohoof 2

Not everything. But all aspects of a game are equally important to me. One bad aspect ruins the whole experience for me. Annoying music in every battle or city? Game-breaking bugs? Oof. Graphics are the same. Not every developer understands what complementary colors are. It could be hard to read the text. Some design choices are literally hurting in the eyes.

Even though all aspects are important to me, which means I wouldn't play an "ugly" game, the aesthetics is what really matters to me. Personal taste. Some PSone or N64 games are looking so nice, I miss this nowadays. Not talking while wearing nostalgia glasses, sometimes I discover old games I never saw before and think how amazing they look.

• Brohoof 2

I actually prefer the retro look. Graphics are nice but they try too hard these days and forget to make the games fun ^-^; I'm primarily an old school gaming pony 

But I LOVE current stuff like Night In the Woods, Undertale, Fire Pro Wrestling World and Always Sometimes Monsters which feel retro and artsy!

• Brohoof 1

Not for me. I can use the mind to trump any kind of media, even this reality of ours. It is immensely satisfying to see things inside your mind come to life. Mind you, the mind of our dear father is very complexed. But it cannot surpass mine. One day, you may even get to live inside my mind. A world much less conflictive than this.

• Brohoof 2

It really depends for the game genre.

Graphics can add up to the experience, but what matters mostly is the experience on itself.

Having said that, some games such as megaman are better left without edge 3D rendering, because for those games the aesthetic of cartoony colorful robots and the high difficulty are what matters. You don't need ultra high definition for megaman games. What matters is a balanced gameplay and challenging level design and enemies. Sort of the same applies to most shoot 'em ups and gun 'n' run games, and sometimes is better to not give them hyper graphics, because players must focus on enemies and hazards.

On first person shooters, people would most likely look after graphics, because fps aren't the first choice for games with heavy arguments nor deeper gameplay. They are meant to be fast paced and not too convoluted gameplay wise, making graphics a focus for them and leaving plots and complex gameplay on secondary roles. As long as the response is fast and the graphics are nice, you don't need to worry too much.

Something similar tends to happen with survival-horror games. The point in these games is to offer a great experience through any and every resource possible, focusing in immersion. Said that, high quality graphics are really appreciated, though survival-horror games require of deep narrative and can take advantage of clunky control. They also must put a lot of attention into details and sounds. They are my preffered kind of game.

Fighting games can focus on having good graphics, though what matters the most is gameplay for them. Still, good graphics are welcome as long as the gameplay is top notch.

• Brohoof 2

Not really. Good gameplay, an entertaining story, and fluid UI are much more important, but good graphics are always a nice to have, and they definitely do make games more appealing.

• Brohoof 1

An example of games I like that aren't as good of graphics:

• Worms Armageddon

And I haven't played it in decades. Graphics is everything!

• Brohoof 1

It depends what type of game it is. In 99% of the cases I would say no it is not as I don't really care that much for cool graphics, but if it's like a single player first person adventure game or something then good graphics would most likely be what would draw me to the game first and the gameplay would be what decides whether I stick around or not.

It is very possible for a game to be good enough otherwise where less amazing graphics can be okay, but I really do enjoy high quality graphics. A game is a package for me, where aesthetics and music are also very important to me on top of visuals.

But really, I'm not concerned with the highest quality of graphics. Sure, it's neat to play a game like that, but where Nintendo's at is fine by me. The only thing that I'm bothered by are 2D games. I find them to be archaic. Of course, that's more than graphics, it's also gameplay.