Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

resolved No site ads when I opt in to site ads?

HeavenSunset

(edited)

So I opted in to site ads a good few months ago and I still have not seen 1 ad on here

I want to support this site as much as i can (because subscribing is not possible for me)

And I have also noticed that when you're logged out you get ads but no ads when you're logged in

Edited by The Wife of Law
  • Brohoof 3

It could be related to ad-blocker settings. It could be browser related as well.
I had the same problem, even after turning off ad-blocker. I thought there was no advertising at all on this site, until I started using my cell phone, as it has no ad-blocker and it shows ads just fine even with the opted in to site ads set to "no"

• Brohoof 1

I kinda have a suspicion, that it might be related to the v4 upgrade of the forum software.

Back then ads were shown normally, because I remember whining mentioning ads that were playing music and how 'uncool' it was. :mlp_icwudt:

Then, around that upgrade I stopped seeing these. I tried multiple browsers on PC (Chrome, Edge, IE), phone (Chrome, Dolphin)[some freshly installed] and nothing. I do see them when I'm not logged in though. These don't seem to appear while being logged in, regardless of this setting, as if it was now obsolete(?).

Anyway, it was reported some time ago and it was stated, that everything works, though personally I'm not so sure about that. Pa6CktV.png

https://mlpforums.com/topic/183482-site-ads/

“It's supposed to be opt-in, and it does work, but some browsers are iffy about it loading the actual ad sometimes even if they're not blacked by an ad blocker.

It usually depends on whether the ad fails to load or not. Guests have ads in several places, people who're logged in only have the chance to have ads in 2 places now.

That's after the first post and at the bottom of the site”

Guess we're all using whiny browsers and are extremely unlucky to get even a single ad. EDQ7xNk.png 

See, ponies make everything better, even ads, that are now invisible. I wish it was like this across the whole internet. Not even adblock can match the power of the magic of friendship. 5h0RjMl.png 

jk, jk 0CHh6vQ.png

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, HeavenSunset said:

@Splashee I don't have any ad-blocker at the moment, neither does my browser

Hmm, I am only really recommending it for YouTube viewing, if you have a lot of RAM.

The ads on this site while being on an Android phone is somewhat comfortable, I never would have guessed.

Yeah, there something strange going on with the opt-in ads, and it started happening with the v4 upgrade, as @Rikifive says. Since they seem to work when you're not logged in, but disappear when you do, I was originally thinking it had something to do with the permission setups. But I couldn't find any permission setup that would trigger that when I was an Admin. I'm left thinking there's something wonky in the page templates, where the code is supposed to check the opt-in flag and is pulling the wrong variable or something similar.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

@HeavenSunset

As mentioned by Fhaolan, this is an issue we aren’t certain how to handle at this time. As such, this thread will be closed. Once a solution is found, it will be made public.

• The topic was locked