Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Have you ever had a false awakening?

HeavenSunset

Have you ever had a false awakening?  

18 users have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a false awakening?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

You know when you wake up and then move on your day and then go to work/ school

But then i turns out it was a dream and then you have to start your day all over again

That's a false awakening

I will start, Yes i have had many, and they're super annoying

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've never had a "full-scale" one where I got up and went to work and everything, but I've definitely had ones where I got out of bed and did a small chore or read a comic and then realized I actually didn't.

Interestingly, I get more of those from daydreaming than actual dreaming. Especially when the chore I did is something I've been telling myself I need to get done today.

Edited by Ixrec

"Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality.." 

I have that sometime, usually in the dream world  I would feel very sluggish and more tried.

Ive woken up in my dream before yeah not that bad though. The funny times is when I have a homework assignment to do in my dream and it gets too difficult and i panic and then wow i wake up its not real. Instant relief XD

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
7 minutes ago, flurry said:

Ive woken up in my dream before yeah not that bad though. The funny times is when I have a homework assignment to do in my dream and it gets too difficult and i panic and then wow i wake up its not real. Instant relief XD

Sometimes good things happen in my dreams, and then i wake up and it didn't happen:worry:

Edited by HeavenSunset
  • Brohoof 1

Many times!

Usually when I have a test of some kind, or some kind of a challenge that day, I fall into a trap of thinking I woke up and started it, or failed it!

• Brohoof 1

No. I have been trained to recognize common patterns during the dream state.

Regarding sleep paralysis, some acquaintances have experienced it during a failed process of astral projection, in which the subtle body gets caught during the vibratory transition necessary to disengage from the physical body. In other words, they are too dense.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Being a long-time lucid dreamer (over 15 years), I have quite a lot of experience with this phenomenon (and many different interesting ones too ;) ).

There were times when I got a "combo" of multiple false awakenings in a row, 10 or more: I woke up, walked around for a while, only to realize that I'm still in a dream, so I woke up, and it turned out to be a dream again, and again... and after several times of going through it again, I could tell right away after waking up that I'm still dreaming and make use of it ;)

To a person who have never had such experiences before, or has them only occasionally, it might seem annoying indeed. But when you're a dreamer, like myself, you can get used to it and take advantage of it, because after a false awakening the dream world usually becomes much more realistic and stable, and this might be a good thing when you're aware that you're in a dream ;) (hint hint: very realistic lucid dreams from which it's not that easy to wake up by accident).

Sometimes you can induce false awakening by going to sleep in a dream. This usually causes waking up, but not really: you wake up, but you're still in a dream ;) So if you do it consciously and intentionally, you can be aware that this is still a dream and take advantage of it afterwards, to have a very stable and realistic lucid dream ;)

Also, the thing from the movie "Inception" about time stretching in deeper dream levels seems to be true. I used that trick in my lucid dreams long before that movie came out, and it seems to work. When you fall asleep in a dream and you wake up in another dream, the time runs slower there, it seems, but from your perspective it runs normally, so you may spend hours in a dream, then wake up in the real world only to find out that it lasted only a couple of minutes total :J

Long time ago I happened to know a guy who claimed that he spent 50 years in a dream, lived his life there, had a family, gathered lots of memories, and he could talk about them for hours, everything was consistent & stuff, so he wasn't making stuff up.

The longest time I spent in a dream world that way was a couple of days, and I also remember quite a lot from that time, despite the fact that it lasted just one night in the real world.
I also have some memories from my other lives lived in the dream world(s), but not continuous ones – I just remember some episodes, or recognize some places from previous dreams when I happen to be there again, because I know those places very well somehow.

To those who are afraid of false awakenings, because they think that they might get stuck in the dream world and never wake up:
Don't be afraid, this can't happen. No matter how long you be in the dream world, you will wake up eventually in the real world, the very next day ;) But in case you're still afraid, you can always set up an alarm clock to wake you up after a couple of hours no matter what. (Though I don't recommend using alarm clocks in general unless you have to, because they "reset" memories from the dream world and you will forget everything that happened in a dream immediately after waking up, because the alarm clock will suck all your attention and break your train of thoughts that connects you with those memories.)

Edit: People who answered "Not sure" in the poll are probably thinking that they're still dreaming right now :D

Edited by SasQ
last line added
  • Brohoof 2

More often I'll go through a whole day or even a few rather than just the start of the next one. It doesn't throw me off so much because enough random ess occurs that I realize I was dreaming or it was for a completely diferent day, like reliv8ng a part of my past or a false future, but there was this one that lasted for 6 months within the dream, and that really threw me through a loop when I got up.

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, flurry said:

Same! I've had dreams before where I'm just struggling to get through some super hard/literally impossible school assignment, but then I wake up and realize that none of it was real which is a huge relief ^_^

8 hours ago, HeavenSunset said:

Sometimes good things happen in my dreams, and then i wake up and it didn't happen:worry:

I remember I had a dream once where I got this super cool Spitfire plush, it was so awesome!.... but then I woke up and I had no awesome Spitfire plush. That just sucks when that happens :scoots:

• Brohoof 2

This is most of my dreams. It gets annoying after a while, because when I do wake up I get confused about what happened and what didn't

10 hours ago, HeavenSunset said:

Aww yeah

I had the similar I guess like winning things at the arcade or getting some cool dr who books or something hahha. Another thing I have is when a new version of a game or book is coming out then i realise it doesn't exist.

I've never had that happen, though sometimes I wonder what it'd be like to find out my entire life has been a dream so far, and I suddenly wake up and I'm still in kindergarten. 

13 hours ago, HeavenSunset said:

You know when you wake up and then move on your day and then go to work/ school

But then i turns out it was a dream and then you have to start your day all over again

That's a false awakening

I will start, Yes i have had many, and they're super annoying

One or two. It's pretty funny sometimes ^_^

• Brohoof 1

I’ve had lots of dreams about being late to school and dreams where I get something really cool only to realize later that it isn’t real. I also had this one dream about a notebook traffic jam where one of their “horns” beeped so loud I jumped up when I woke up to check the window. I even asked my family if they heard anything but they said no.