Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Video game rumors you heard as a kid.

CastletonSnob

(edited)

I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. When you were a kid, you heard someone at school tell you they heard that if you did a certain thing in a game, you would unlock a secret level or character, or that their uncle's cousin's best friend's brother's college roommate's next door neighbor worked for Nintendo, and they were making a Nintendo 64 2. Of course, almost all of these rumors were bullshit, but you were a kid and didn't know better.

Edited by VG_Addict
  • Brohoof 1

I remember someone telling me that in Pokemon RBY if you went to a certain spot in Diglett Cave and dug, it'd transport you to the area outside of Pallet Town/Route 1 where you'd run into the starters as wild Pokemon. Lol.

My favorite one was a Windwaker remake using the TP visuals, being a fan of WW and anticipating TP at the time, that was always a really cool rumor

-You could get a Mew as a gift from the Gym Leader Castle in Pokemon Stadium 

-The Mew under the truck in Pokemon RBY

-The Nintendo GS, which would be a handheld Gamecube

-A Zelda RPG

-Big Show being a hidden character in WWF No Mercy

-Using Wrestlemania 2000 on GBC with a transfer pack on the N64 version would unlock Shawn Michaels. Yeah right!

I heard that if you used Surf next to the SS Anne in Pokemon RBY and then used Strength on the truck there, you'd find a Mew. The truck is actually there, Mew isn't. (Though I did later find the real Mew glitch online)

That there was an Atari Jaguar 2 that put the Nintendo 64 to shame.

I was disappoint when I got the internet and did research. :yeahno:

10 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I heard that it you blew on the Sega genesis cartridges, they would sometimes work if they weren't booting up.

(Hey, I am a product of the 80's!)

The same can be said for Nintendo cartridges. :sunbutt:

(edited)
17 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I heard that it you blew on the Sega genesis cartridges, they would sometimes work if they weren't booting up.

(Hey, I am a product of the 80's!)

And it turns out that blowing on a cartridge is actually bad for the game.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/12589/did-blowing-nintendo-cartridges-really-help

Edited by VG_Addict

(edited)

The one I remember the most was the rumour that you could unlock Luigi in Super Mario 64. The same thing with Waluigi in the remake. I was young, so I believed both of them and spent hours trying to "unlock" them.

Edited by Cash In
  • Brohoof 1

When my parents got our first PC, we immediately connected to the internet, so not many rumors in my childhood. However, me and some friends were really keen on GTA SA myths and believed that there were monsters, ghost, maniacs, etc in the game

• Brohoof 1

I remember hearing about "Super Mario Galaxy DS" growing up, seeing the (fake) trailers for that and thinking it was legit.

I also remember rumors of hacker accounts on ROBLOX back in 2010 and being paranoid that I was going to get hacked by one of those accounts.

(edited)

Tons of Pokemon rumours back in the day. Mew under the truck, secret battle with Professor Oak, Bill’s hidden garden etc. Every kid I knew believed that your chance of catching wild Pokemon went up if you held A and pressed left and right when the Pokeball moved.

There were people saying there was a werewolf in Red Dead Redemption and posting faked screenshots and videos. I actually started to believe this and went looking for it :unsure:

There were also false claims that you could fight the lizard in Spider-Man 2. Some people spent hours checking every manhole in the city for an entrance into the sewers.

Edited by Sonic Shimmer

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2020 at 8:58 PM, Pathfinder said:

That there was an Atari Jaguar 2 that put the Nintendo 64 to shame.

I was disappoint when I got the internet and did research. :yeahno:

Aww, I missed the whole Jaguar console, it wasn't popular here in Sweden. If they had made a second console, maybe they would have put Playstation to shame as well in the process. Sega was already dead by this time (hey, I am a Sega fan :unamused:)