Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What political system is Equestria?

Bendy

(edited)

They seem to be a kingdom of some sort. They may even possibly be a dictatorship with the existence of royalty, albeit a very soft one. They don't need to rule their citizens with an iron fist since most of them seem to be incredibly loyal. They don't seem to have a very large standing military force,  so it's unlikely that they have any imperialist expansionism.

Edited by Bendy

Theocracy with Friendship as their creed and Harmony as their god. I mean, those things can pretty much overrule one of the alicorns and dictate the actions of citizenry no problemo.

• Brohoof 1

Before Twilight was in charge, Equestria is a principality at the head of a commonwealth with a constitutional diarchy. Two rulers in a nation that had some sort of a representative pony assembly from across the nation, though their power was uncertain. Monarchy would have been through primary rule though with Luna's absence, and while Cadence was a princess, she didn't rule until stepping in for the return of the Crystal Empire, which is partially independent, thus being part of the commonwealth.

Antidisestablishmentarianism being referenced may imply some theocratic elements at one point.

Not sure what to classify them as now as I need to catch up on the last few seasons, but my understanding is that Twilight is more authoritarian than those ruling before her.

• Brohoof 1

Well they seem to have a sort of monarchy although there seemed to be some selection process to it. It seems to be for exculsively unicorns. With a certain ability and maybe class. And they will go through tests and trials of power. Some people have likened it to philospher kings though i'm not sure exactly how close that be. There is ofc no voting system except I suppose the ones already in power and the teachers of the elite who select the candidates. 

There are still organisations and ruling bodies for certain things like we see the EAA and economically it seems to be sort of capitalist.

I don't know what the technical terms would be. But it seems like a top heavy system. The ruler of the country gets involved in issues that should be handled at a city or county level. Individuals can't even resolve their own petty problems, they need the Princess of Friendship to do it (a position created as a political favor, not necessary at all).

• Brohoof 1

At one point in history, it followed the same rules as 4chan! And by that, it became very popular among us, called bronies, however, most of us are not from 4chan or wants to be acknowledge with that place

The assembly I'm specifically referencing to is the delegates from the Grand Equestrian Pony Summit from season 5, episode 10, "Princess Spike".

Also Mayor Mare has her position, so some forms of lower level democracy must exist on some places.

There may be some bit of upperclassmen oligarchy as well as I wouldn't doubt that Fancy Pants holds some high prestige. He regularly mingles with those at the top despite the princesses not requiring any sort of loophole work or campaign finance, so he may fund other projects.

7 hours ago, Rebel Brony 42 said:

I don't know what the technical terms would be. But it seems like a top heavy system. The ruler of the country gets involved in issues that should be handled at a city or county level. Individuals can't even resolve their own petty problems, they need the Princess of Friendship to do it (a position created as a political favor, not necessary at all).

At least until she took over the crown, "Princess of Friendship" seemed mostly a figurehead title. She did a lot of moderation but how often did she actually wield royal authority? Even the incident with Starlight was ultimately a democratic one. Starlight wasn't overthrown by Twilight. In fact, Twilight didn't make a move on her until the citizens had decided. Twilight served more like a diplomat/mediator than a monarch, but with military/police powers when the situation called for it (villain invasions).

3 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Its like brits. They have a queen but also government..

Possibly, but we've also seen no sign of a parliamentary body, a congress, etc. Closest thing we came to it (maybe) shows up at the gala. We see other royals, likely dukes and soforth; and Prince Blueblood. So perhaps regional governing is handled like old England and neighboring Europe?

There isn't an over arching government across Equestria. Many regions appoint their own rule with their own laws and systems. Each region also has to be self reliant. There's no military to speak of. No national network of government services like fire and medical. Emergencies and defense are all performed by civilian volunteers and militias. The princesses are acknowledged as rulers due to ruling over the cosmos, as you can't really defy those who control the night and day. Power is differed to them, and the princesses work in a diplomatic role representing Equestria in international relations. But other than that, each region is independent and the only things binding them are their acknowledgement of the princesses and later the Mane 7. 

A loose alliance of city states and regions that operate independently but defer power to a group of leaders who have final say over national matters and represent the nation internationally. So basically, despite being called a kingdom, Equestria is actually a Federation that practices elements of Social Anarchism.  

• 11 months later...
On 2020-07-11 at 3:42 PM, Kyoshi said:

From what I see it is a royal friendshipocracy. A mostly chillaxed system where hugs and boops are not enforced, but encouraged.

I'm going with this word "friendshipocracy" :) At least with the end of season 9. Before this I think Monarchy is a more fitting description.