Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler What happened before A Canterlot Wedding?

Sepul-Coloratura

(edited)

Do you have any head-canons or materials about how Chrysalis captured Cadance, how she infiltrated Canterlot and prepared for the invasion in A Canterlot Wedding?

p.s. As for how she invaded Canterlot in season 6 finale, I’m not even curious. I wouldn’t bother. 

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

5 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Do you have any head-canons or materials about how Chrysalis captured Cadance, how she infiltrated Canterlot and prepared for the invasion in A Canterlot Wedding?

p.s. As for how she invaded Canterlot in season 6 finale, I’m not even curious. I wouldn’t bother. 

Given how Changlings are attracted to love in general (knowing one ended up in Cranky's wedding) she probably felt their love and followed them as they were going around. Cadance being the Princess of Love probably used her heart spell a few times cementing Chrysilis's interest. Just waiting her time until Cadance was tired and attacked- taking her form. Maybe even waiting until Shining Proposed to cement a permanent host to take love from... Or she found them after/during the proposal and saw how people showered them with love as the princess was finally getting hitched.

• Brohoof 1

50 minutes ago, CameoShadowness said:

knowing one ended up in Cranky's wedding

That's Kevin.

She could have snuck in any number of ways. Easiest would be to disquise yourself as a guard and just walk into Cadence's  chamber. Maybe even just sneak in through her balcony.

The city became alert of the threat, so maybe the changelings caused a diversion.

• Brohoof 2

I thought that Chrysalis was crafty and full of subterfuges. I think she simply infiltrated her way up until she managed to get close to Cadance. Assuming that Cadance lived with Celestia, she might have disguised as a visitor to the city, somepony that worked in the palace, and then she's already exactly where she needed to be.

I would sure like to read a fic detailing the process of that though, particularly how she attacked Cadance, or whatever she did. I would like to think that at least Cadance tried to defend herself, because I feel a bit annoyed at how ponies simply ignore the magic of stuff around them... I mean, they should have some sort of magical sense that tells them of magic at work around.

Today I just think that Chrysalis paid Meghan McCarthy.

• Brohoof 3

At the time of A Canterlot Wedding, Equestria doesn't seem to have any changeling-specific defenses at all, so it seems pretty straightforward: Chrysalis or her subjects kept impersonating ponies until they learned enough to figure out that Cadance was a good target and how to catch her alone with her guard down.

The show has pretty consistently shown us that no amount of peerless alicorn magic makes you immune to a good old surprise attack, and that (with the interesting exception of Discord) in order to notice other creatures' magic you either have to be actively looking for it or have set up defensive spells in advance.

IMO, the real question is who made the threat against Canterlot. Probably the simplest answer is Chrysalis herself, either as a petty taunt or to keep Shining Armor too busy and tired to notice she wasn't Cadance.

(though I also kinda like the idea that one of the cast was secretly a changeling all along and tried to whistleblow on Chrysalis)

• Brohoof 4

There is this strange magical creature called the nerf bat. It flutters around in the wee morning hours, crashing into princesses and other characters of renown. Whoever is touched by the nerf bat gets their power and intelligence temporarily reduced.

And that is how it happened. It turns out Celestia got hit as well. Also Mane 5. It was a time of nerf bat migration.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, SharpWit said:

That's Kevin.

She could have snuck in any number of ways. Easiest would be to disquise yourself as a guard and just walk into Cadence's  chamber. Maybe even just sneak in through her balcony.

The city became alert of the threat, so maybe the changelings caused a diversion.

Or she could have posed as a regular pony as well. Like one of her brides maids checking up on her.

wait Kevin... why do I feel like I know that reference?

• Brohoof 2

The Mane 6 was having a picnic before the wedding. And Twilight had never mentioned her brother before, or having a princess as a goal sitter. That's kinda what happened before. And it was also the low point of a very good season finale!

• Brohoof 1

I bet Queen Chrysalis disguised herself a palace guard or something, that way she could slip into the castle virtually unnoticed. I also bet she did it at night, catching Cadence while she was asleep when Chrysalis attacked her. Because Cadence would have been very disoriented I doubt she was able to put much of a fight before she was sent down to the crystal caves underneath the city. As for why she was drawn to Canterlot in the first place, well, she actually said it herself- Equestria was overfilling with love- and if she just followed her changeling instincts she would have been lead to Canterlot where she would have discovered that a great source of this love was an upcoming wedding between a princess and a very high ranking official.   

• Brohoof 2

14 hours ago, Asbel Lhant said:

Princess Cadence is pretty weak. Especially by Alicorn standards. I'm sure Queen Chrysalis could've easily overpowered her and then captured her.

"Weak?!" Nonsense. If she's so weak, her real mutual love with Shining Armor wouldn't have been powerful enough to make Shining's barrier spell even more powerful; powerful enough to send the changelings flying. not to mention she's been awake for days without any sleep, powering a protection spell to keep Sombra out of the Crystal Empire. She had to Pretty strong to keep going for that long.

As Ixrec said, It's called the element of surprise. And at the time most ponies didn't even know what Changelings were! 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
13 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

There is this strange magical creature called the nerf bat. It flutters around in the wee morning hours, crashing into princesses and other characters of renown. Whoever is touched by the nerf bat gets their power and intelligence temporarily reduced.

And that is how it happened. It turns out Celestia got hit as well. Also Mane 5. It was a time of nerf bat migration.

That somehow reminds me of the Phlogiston theory. Only difference is that Phlogiston was proven to be wrong, this is true.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura