Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

food Mexican Food or Italian Food: which is the best?

heavens-champion

Mexican Food or Italian Food? Which is the best?  

25 users have voted

1. 1. Mexican Food or Italian Food? Which is the best?

• Mexican Food
    • Italian Food

That's a hard choice it depends on the dish itself I do like burritos and tacos but pizza and pasta are good too. I also like that tomato bread thingy. And ice cream. Maybe italian??

I can't choose. I have such a limited amount of things I can eat already, don't make me limit myself more!

Italian food is always the winner. I love it. Mexican food is usually disgusting or too spicy for my liking.

How dare you make me choose between carnitas and cannolis?  I think everyone has great food in one way or another, the more variety, the better imo.

• Brohoof 1

Well, Italian food is my all time favorite food, so yeah, italy wins. I just love pizza, pasta and italian salad with a lot of tomatoes, basil and mozzarella. But also a reason why Italian food win is that mexican food is here in germany (or at least my region) not that common (more spanish food). I only ate Nachos and tortilla from the discounter, and that also really rarely.

On 7/18/2020 at 10:38 PM, Bakugou is my Man said:

Italian food is always the winner. I love it. Mexican food is usually disgusting or too spicy for my liking.

Not all mexican food is spicy. But alas, foreigners don't know anything beyond tacos, pozole and tamales. Not their fault. On the other hoof, how is it disgusting? Is not like we have 20 different kinds of rotten milk protein topping flour and vegetables. Literally, aside from the weird insect dishes from the natives, the evolved cuisine developed here has nothing disgusting like guts or inks.

We have a lot of interesting candies and pastries too.

• Brohoof 2

18 minutes ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Not all mexican food is spicy. But alas, foreigners don't know anything beyond tacos, pozole and tamales. Not their fault. On the other hoof, how is it disgusting? Is not like we have 20 different kinds of rotten milk protein topping flour and vegetables. Literally, aside from the weird insect dishes from the natives, the evolved cuisine developed here has nothing disgusting like guts or inks.

We have a lot of interesting candies and pastries too.

I know that not all of it spicy and I have had plenty more than just tacos and tamales.

I was in a relationship with a Hispanic person and their family pretty much only cooked such dishes so I got to taste a lot of different Mexican food. Not to mention, I’ve been to Mexico 6 times. Of course, I can’t recall the names of said dishes but I didn’t like any of them. Common ingredients used in the dishes is probably why I don’t like them. They either just tasted bad to me or were too spicy for my liking. Regarding your candy statement, I did really like this one my exe gave me. It was almost like a fruit loaf..? I wish I had written it down.

Please don’t assume because I’m a “foreigner” means I don’t know anything at all about other foods. I have had my fair share of it.

Just now, Bakugou is my Man said:

I know that not all of it spicy and I have had plenty more than just tacos and tamales.

I was in a relationship with a Hispanic person and their family pretty much only cooked such dishes so I got to taste a lot of different Mexican food. Not to mention, I’ve been to Mexico 6 times. Of course, I can’t recall the names of said dishes but I didn’t like any of them. They either just tasted bad to me or were too spicy for my liking. Regarding your candy statement, I did really like this one my exe gave me. It was almost like a fruit loaf..? I wish I had written it down.

Please don’t assume because I’m a “foreigner” means I don’t know anything at all about other foods. I have had my fair share of it.

Still, hispanic doesn't mean they were all that versed on all the mexican food possible. Just at Jalisco you might find a huge different between dishes and this state is not that big anyway.  From coasts that have all you might think of made with seafood, to the capital of the state with the world wide known tortas ahogadas, to the high lands with all the dairy candies such as jamoncillo and cajeta and the several cow and pork based dishes too, and, of course, maguey based sweet drinks (and candy lemon too!).

The center of the country (CDMX) has a unique kind of dough for their "quesadillas" which happen to have no cheese at all! Then there's Morelos with their unique dried jerky, tlaxcala with their mueganos, the northern states with their wide variety of sausages, the southern states with the lots of exotic fruits and all that. We also have palanquetas, morelianas and all sort of bread loaves.

There's also some lesser known dishes such as gorditas de nata, filled pumpkin flowers, pico de gallo (it's actually a cocktail of several fruits and no chicken at all as the name might imply), alegrías, palanquetas and a lot more local dishes you might find in small towns that are unknown for people outside of a region.

I could keep going on, but duty calls me.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Jesse Terrence said:

Still, hispanic doesn't mean they were all that versed on all the mexican food possible. Just at Jalisco you might find a huge different between dishes and this state is not that big anyway.  From coasts that have all you might think of made with seafood, to the capital of the state with the world wide known tortas ahogadas, to the high lands with all the dairy candies such as jamoncillo and cajeta and the several cow and pork based dishes too, and, of course, maguey based sweet drinks (and candy lemon too!).

The center of the country (CDMX) has a unique kind of dough for their "quesadillas" which happen to have no cheese at all! Then there's Morelos with their unique dried jerky, tlaxcala with their mueganos, the northern states with their wide variety of sausages, the southern states with the lots of exotic fruits and all that. We also have palanquetas, morelianas and all sort of bread loaves.

There's also some lesser known dishes such as gorditas de nata, filled pumpkin flowers, pico de gallo (it's actually a cocktail of several fruits and no chicken at all as the name might imply), alegrías, palanquetas and a lot more local dishes you might find in small towns that are unknown for people outside of a region.

I could keep going on, but duty calls me.

When I said “Hispanic”, I didn’t mean someone who just had relatives from Mexico. No, no. He was a recently arrived immigrant who lived in Mexico for 19 years. He understood and spoke very, very little English and the same went for his parents. All they knew (at least at the time I was with him) was Mexican food. It was all they bought ingredient for so they could make it. They only shopped at a Hispanic food market. I’m pretty sure I had a reliable source for Mexican food when with him.

As far as my visitation to the Mexico, I went when my mom was teaching English there. She was set in a small town and we pretty much stuck to street or local food so it was all authentic and definitely a reliable source. I had enough to decide that I’m just not a fan of it.

6 minutes ago, Bakugou is my Man said:

When I said “Hispanic”, I didn’t mean someone who just had relatives from Mexico. No, no. He was a recently arrived immigrant who lived in Mexico for 19 years. He understood and spoke very, very little English and the same went for his parents. All they knew (at least at the time I was with him) was Mexican food. It was all they bought ingredient for so they could make it. They only shopped at a Hispanic food market. I’m pretty sure I had a reliable source for Mexican food when with him.

As far as my visitation to the Mexico, I went when my mom was teaching English there. She was set in a small town and we pretty much stuck to street or local food so it was all authentic and definitely a reliable source. I had enough to decide that I’m just not a fan of it.

I've been here in mexico 28 years. Have worked across 3 states, and have met people and made friends from at least another 10 states. I'm a highlander of Jalisco, but my family comes from Guanajuato and Michoacan. I think you're still missing a good amount of dishes and flavors. I myself don't know enough dishes to call myself an expert, but I still think the dishes they could have pulled out up there must have been very limited and using substitute spices or dried ones instead of harvested directly before cooking because some spices are unlikely to reach the USA (for instance, there's a kind of edible fungus that grows on corn in some very specific enviromental conditions and you might not find it beyond San Luis Potosí).

I don't even know if pear cactuses are a thing in the USA (as in harvested and sold, since there are several species of pear cactuses that are edible and each differ on taste and cooking procedure, but most grow above Oaxaca and bellow Chihuahua). Don't know if pitayas are on sale up there, don't know if all the tame chilli peppers are available up there nor if they can get purple tomatoes. No idea how many kinds of avocados can you buy up there, no idea on the ground they might grow colliander on nor enviromental conditions where they tried to cook their dishes (sounds weird, but some dishes and breads won't come out right in most places, like the salty birote from guadalajara, the quesadilla dough from CDMX and the oaxaca cheese). Don't even know if the corn flour you can buy up there is close enough to traditional nixtamal in flavor.

There are so many factors that might get on the way of having good mexican food in the USA. Also, some places in Mexico have lame tasteless food (I'm looking at you, Querétaro), so you could have as well fell on one of those regions with generic tasting expy food. For instance, bistek and suadero are way different in Jalisco than what they are in Querétaro. Quesadillas are a completely different thing in CDMX than what they are in the rest of the country, and even some dishes are served in different conditions and that makes them taste way different (a coworker that came from Veracruz deemed disgusting the way shrimps are served at Jalisco, since here they are served on hot broth while there at Veracruz they are served on chilly-cold broth).

Tl;dr version:

I have lived in mexico 28 years, worked in 3 states, had friends from another 10 states and am aware of ingredient and enviromental differences between both countries, as well as how some dishes have the same names across the country but can taste very different. I think you probably didn't have the chance to taste a good mexican dish.

By the way, hispanic is an umbrella term for a lot of latin american groups. Mexican food is totally different from, for instance, peruvian food. You should probably refer to your ex as mexican if he was born at mexico anyway, since saying hispanic leaves a really vague idea on his cultural identity.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well pizza is like my fav food but other than pizza and pasta I haven’t had much ltalian food.

i grew up with Mexican cuisine and my mom and family make a variety of dishes all the time so def. going with Mexican here. Tho I would love to have more Italian food. 

Edited by Miss

I like French food the most! But of those two, definitely Italian. I like caprese salad, most pasta dishes, flatbreads, gelato, wine... :P 

I don’t usually like Mexican food.

@Jesse Terrence Alright, try me. Recommend a Mexican food that I should make! I don’t like anything spicy and I don’t eat beans. Also preferably either without meat or with very little meat. 

One Mexican food I do like is “gazpacho de morelia”!

(I live in a major city so don’t be afraid to recommend something with ingredients I can only get at a Mexican grocery store)

Edited by SparklingSwirls