Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Missed opportunities from the show.

CastletonSnob

Anti-magic stone, Scorpan and the land of monsters, Real Grogar, Avatar of Harmony interacting with stuff, what's the deal with Fake Tartarus, dark magic, Griffins vs. Arimaspi, Spike's origin ...

It's a pity they never addressed the origins of Celestia and Luna, as well as some other backstories. Also, the Pillars deserved way more screen time and attention - their arc felt extremely rushed.

On a smaller scale: a proper episode about Rarity's parents, and a flashback to adventures of Cranky and Steven Magnet. 

• Brohoof 1

The Wonderbolts in general was entirely a huge missed opportunity. The writers seemed more interested in actively ruining that aspect of the show instead of actually trying to make something interesting of merit

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Them completely ignoring Sombra's comic worldbuilding (Princess Amore, Radiant Hope, the Umbrum, etc.).

That they were meanwhile fine with referencing Celestia and Luna's backstory from The Journal Of The Two Sisters, Tirek's father from FIENDship Is Magic, etc., just makes it all the more glaring.

Edited by Anti-Villain

Zecora's homeland was a big one for me. I would have liked to see the diamond dogs get revisited. I didn't care much for them but they were there, and ignored even when much later the likes of Capper came along. The general history of Equestria with other nations given it's this sort of utopia and was rather isolationist. Also the technological decline Equestria must have experienced given the fact Manehatten has such a modern settings but nowhere else is trying to catch up to it. That's everything off the top of my head at least.

@Megas How do you mean? What were you hoping for out of the ponification of the Blue Angels.

@Anti-Villain Gotta sell official merch over influenced material, lol. Buy our toys!

Only thing really missing for me was the lack of any context for the zebras and why Zecora decided to live in Equestria. Anything outside of that (deer, more Sombra) is me being greedy. :P

• Brohoof 1

I wanted to see more of Sweetie Belle displaying her musical talent, like her cutie mark has that musical note but she hadn't sang or done anything music-related since the earlier episodes.

Moar Starlight Glimmer <3 I've always thought if she had an element it would be "Natural Talent", coupled with "Wasted Potential". The show writers sure did a good job on that last one all right. /sarcasm -_-'

Exploring underdeveloped species like minotaurs, zebras, buffalo, diamond dogs, centaurs and gargoyles, sea serpents, cattle, donkeys, goats, and comic-exclusive species. 

I got quite a bunch.
Such as Luna and Celestia's backstories. Like where did they really come from and why are they the only natural alicorns left.
Like are there other natural alicorns out there aside from those 2 and recently Flurry Heart?

Spike's origins, seriously.. even if he no longer seeks his family, we deserve to know how the heck did his egg ended up with the ponies. Eggs of sapient beings don't just end up their possession out of thin air like that. 

I feel like they could have utilized Nightmare Moon more too. Like say she still exists within Luna and no matter how many rainbow lasers you fire at her, Luna can't be rid of those dark powers and darker self truly so she has to face her inner darkness and even embracing those dark powers to protect Equestria. Imagine her befriending her darker half, just imagine how much interactions could happen like with the fact Luna is dealing with a split personality basically.

2 hours ago, Anti-Villain said:

Them completely ignoring Sombra's comic worldbuilding (Princess Amore, Radiant Hope, the Umbrum, etc.).

That they were meanwhile fine with referencing Celestia and Luna's backstory from The Journal Of The Two Sisters, Tirek's father from FIENDship Is Magic #2, etc., just makes it all the more glaring.

They referenced The Journal Of the Two Sisters book?
You mean like in Castle Mania where they found the sisters' journal? Doesn't really reference the actual book since said book was started by Twilight finding it but nothing from that book itself was brought up while she was reading the journal in that episode.

(edited)
17 minutes ago, nightshroud96 said:

They referenced The Journal Of the Two Sisters book?
You mean like in Castle Mania where they found the sisters' journal?

Horse Play referenced the part where it took 6 Unicorns to move the sun and the moon until the Sisters showed up.

Edited by Anti-Villain

6 minutes ago, Anti-Villain said:

Horse Play referenced the part where it took 6 Unicorns to move the sun and the moon until the Sisters showed up.

Oh yeah
Bothers me on how Celestia gets a play celebrating her raising the sun there but Luna doesn't get one for her raising the moon.
Thats pretty unfair honestly..

3 hours ago, SharpWit said:

@Megas How do you mean? What were you hoping for out of the ponification of the Blue Angels.

They always portrayed them very poorly throughout. And when RD finally became one, they went out of their way to ruin it and make it one of the most disappointing and unsatisfying moments in the entire show, then went on to completely abandon it, throwing her arc in the trash, and never do anything of note with her new status afterwards

• Brohoof 1

An episode of Rainbow Dash and Spike adventuring (post winged Spike).

The dynamic they showed in Shadow Play was amazing, I definitely would have enjoyed a complete episode of that.

I feel like they could have done more to show how the Mane Six represent their respective elements. They touch on some ideas like this every now and then like when Applejack feels the need to hide the truth about Flim and Flam's tonic among others but it always feels like kind of an afterthought to me. I feel like there could have been more of an emphasis on themes like struggling with their elements and it could culminate in them all having to deal with the responsibility of being the avatars of these ideas. It might have been hard to envision something like Fluttershy struggling to be kind but I think there's potential there. In essence I just think the show amounted to 'You are each this element just 'cause and you can never not fully embody that'. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've got some:

1. Not much info on Zebra culture (something the comics are thankfully rectifying)

2. One-off adventures with allies of Equestria (i.e. Ember working with Gilda)

3. Backstory/screentime for Rarity and Sweetie Belle's parents.

4. Addressing the fallout and reconciliation between the Mane 6 after the Season 2 finale.

5. How the Mane 5 met and knew each other prior to Twilight moving to Ponyville. 

Edited by TheAnimationFanatic

If there's one thing from Spike that I would hope for him to have in the future, it's for him to finally tell the Mane Six off about his position in the group and any negative energy he held inside for their well-being, and for him to work hard to be known more than just being Twilight's errand boy, which is how he'd eventually get that ambassador role and have some explained connection to the Elements because of the climax in the season 9 finale.

Forget the origin story - THIS is what I wanna see for Spike's arc! There's a been a tonna episodes of him feeling left out or taken advantage of, and I'd like to see that part of his character finally put to bed, whether it's the comics or the 25th anniversary special executing that.

13 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

If there's one thing from Spike that I would hope for him to have in the future, it's for him to finally tell the Mane Six off about his position in the group and any negative energy he held inside for their well-being, and for him to work hard to be known more than just being Twilight's errand boy, which is how he'd eventually get that ambassador role and have some explained connection to the Elements because of the climax in the season 9 finale.

Forget the origin story - THIS is what I wanna see for Spike's arc! There's a been a tonna episodes of him feeling left out or taken advantage of, and I'd like to see that part of his character finally put to bed, whether it's the comics or the 25th anniversary special executing that.

I feel like there could be more interactions between him and Luna too.
Like how they shared quite alot in common honestly.

Just now, nightshroud96 said:

I feel like there could be more interactions between him and Luna too.
Like how they shared quite alot in common honestly.

Oh yeah, and further developing his relationship with the Sparkles. They don't talk about his family with the Sparkles until episode 200 - and it took Cathy Weseluck to do it! Which is just sad. There were lotsa opportunities for that, especially in Once Upon a Zeppelin.

15 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

Oh yeah, and further developing his relationship with the Sparkles. They don't talk about his family with the Sparkles until episode 200 - and it took Cathy Weseluck to do it! Which is just sad. There were lotsa opportunities for that, especially in Once Upon a Zeppelin.

Its kind of jarring that Spike kept brushing aside the fact he kept getting left out from what the girls are doing.
Heck, especially in episodes where he was literally there with the girls and yet the next minute, he just disappeared and isn't with the girls for no explanation.
Like with Yakity Sax and Shadow Play.

(edited)
On 7/20/2020 at 11:40 AM, Anti-Villain said:

I actually liked better the Sombra we got in the show. It's a little darker that what he is is implied to not be a type of species like the changelings but a "curse" or transfiguration caused by the elements of harmony, which gives the elements and the "good guys" a tint of doubt on if they are actually as good as they say they are. I'm actually tired of the "good" pre-villain backstory and romance plots. Lets have a huge egotistical narcissist that was born that way and just needs a little bit of understanding and therapy... And gets blasted out of existence without any chance by friendship?

that's what I think could have been explored more. Sombra as a villain that could have been reformed and I have extensively talked about it but he actually had a chance to turn his ways around and find friendship but he was never given a chance. And his entire self is not well explored well in the show but yeah I like the show's direction of his character better, I just needed more of that.

Also, the saddlearabian ponies. We almost got something with the blue boy that admired Trixie and invited her to saddlearabia and it was just teasing because we never actually got something. :okiedokieloki:

Also also, the Tenochtitlan ponies. They only appeared once and never again as an entire civilization that was constantly affected by Daring Do's pillaging. 

Edited by Ittoni