Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria as The Four Elements

TheAnimationFanatic

So, I've been watching a lot of MLP:FiM and Avatar: The Last Airbender now that the latter is back on Netflix. So, I was thinking, what if ponies and other creatures in Equestria represented the four elements? Which species would represent which element?

Most people weren't actually benders in the ATLA universe, and more specific genes seemed to play a role where as race did not, something similar to how magic users worked in Harry Potter. Either way I feel like we're limiting ourselves if we combined the two and made them species specific, especially with how techniques would differ in hoof vs. horn vs. wing.

If I had to pick, I'd ignore the representation the mane 6 are supposed to have and give earth bending to the crystal ponies. I'll stick with Pegasi controlling air, but I'm stuck on the rest. By not giving earth bending to earth ponies, I was going to have them with no bending at all. But, earth ponies already have to be a bit more industrial than the other pony races because their abilities are more lacking, and the most industrialized bending is fire. Fire bending is more about focused energy than flames, which is why it can be used to just heat things including yourself up, and the truest of masters can bend lightening. Pegasi already have control over storm clouds and their cultural personality is the most fitting, but I think I'll hand fire over to earth ponies. Unicorns with their magic also deal more with raw energy, but they have a more relaxed life style of ease that makes water evenly fitting.

Each pony race has its own characteristics that fit well I to each element. The two simply weren't designed for each other, so it's difficult to divide that amongst them.

9 hours ago, Megas said:

Pegasus - Air
Unicorn - Fire
Sea Pony - Water
Earth Pony - seriously now

Seaponies are hippogriffs' alt forms... Earth maybe in their name but they can easily be water due to the fact that the only plant benders we've ever seen were water benders. Then again, they are very stubbern in their traditions so who can say. Also Earth seems more to the fact that they have nothing notable beyond being a pony. "Plain as dirt" can be used to describe them.

9 hours ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

Dragons = Fire (obviously)

Pegasus = Air

Hippogriffs can double as both earth benders and air benders.

Since Alicorns are a combination of Earth Pony, Pegasus, and Unicorn, I can see them being popular candidates for avatar. 

While I do agree alicorns make sense to be Avatars,  double benders in the case of Hypogriffs make no sense given how double bending isn't a thing.  Dragons are very stubbern and while they are all fire breathers, stubberness is often seen as an Earth Bender trait due to having to stand their ground.

Air folks are nomads in Avatar and are considered Peaceful Yet you stick Pegasi to them? Like Pegasi had war generals and such deep into their history.

Here's what I think:
Earth: Centaur, Diamond Dogs, Dragons (My main pick due to their stubberness and such), Griffon,
Fire: Changingling (the WHOLE INVASION SHITCK), Dragons (Only cause of fire breathing), Pegasi (???)
Water: Seaponies/Hyppogriffs, Earth Ponies (control of plants), Windigos (for ice really)
Air: Breezies, Unicorns (not the best pick), Sirens (despite being water creatures they are not only capable to fly but don't seem to care about own possessions beyond power)

Avatars: Alicorns, Draconiquiss, 

The problem with ponies is the fact that they are such a big group that I can divide them even futher and say specific ones would be specific types instead of all encompassing and such. We also know mixing does happen regularly enough that Scoots parents, Lybon and SugarMac aren't a big deal in society meaning realistically there will be kids mixed and be different types despite being a specific pony type.

My list is probably Horrible but it's what I can think of. 

I have been thinking of it as of late. Partly due to Dragalia Lost, but also Ponies the Galloping, and an alleged draft of the pony movie dealing with elemental stones (back when Cosmos was still the villain :fluttershy:). One thing curious, is that Ponies the Galloping, assigned Rarity and Twi water, as well as much more expected light :confused:

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I have been thinking of it as of late. Partly due to Dragalia Lost, but also Ponies the Galloping, and an alleged draft of the pony movie dealing with elemental stones (back when Cosmos was still the villain :fluttershy:). One thing curious, is that Ponies the Galloping, assigned Rarity and Twi water, as well as much more expected light :confused:

What happens to Luna and Celestia in that draft?

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, nightshroud96 said:

What happens to Luna and Celestia in that draft?

Wasn’t revealed as far as I know. I only know Cosmos, AKA proto-Tempest Shadow, was going to be a sibling of the princesses 

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Wasn’t revealed as far as I know. I only know Cosmos, AKA proto-Tempest Shadow, was going to be a sibling of the princesses 

It would have been interesting.
Then again if Luna and Celestia got statue-ed just like in the actual movie, it would sting even worse due to they can't even handle someone from their own family.
Like just taken out for the entire movie and its entirely just the girls getting that sibling to stop.
(I know you will bring up Nightmare Moon but the case with Cosmos would be even worse in such a negative way)

• Brohoof 1

Well, I haven’t taken upon the four elements yet, so here goes:

air: pegasi, griffons, hippogriffs, storm creatures, harpies...

earth: earth ponies, yaks, changelings, diamond dogs, cats...

fire: dragons, divine dragon horses :kirin:

water: sea ponies, unicorns (as Magic the Gathering pony cards, they assigned Twi and Rarity as water and light. Dunno where they came with water for them tho :huh:)

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, I haven’t taken upon the four elements yet, so here goes:

air: pegasi, griffons, hippogriffs, storm creatures, harpies...

earth: earth ponies, yaks, changelings, diamond dogs, cats...

fire: dragons, divine dragon horses :kirin:

water: sea ponies, unicorns (as Magic the Gathering pony cards, they assigned Twi and Rarity as water and light. Dunno where they came with water for them tho :huh:)

Makes sense.