Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Molt down spike (spoilers for spike)

Ittoni

(edited)

I know it's stupid but still! I'm pretty mad about Spike's wings even to this day :awwthanks:

He was not supposed to be a classic boring western dragon, he was something so much cooler! A Salamander! An ancient amphibian lizard-like dragon that could breath fire! One of the very first interpretations of a dragon that ever existed in human tales. That's why he looked very aquatic-like, with purple and green like seaweed and his ear things look kinda semitransparent (or at least have a lot of Subsurface scattering) because it's more like membrane similar to some fish. And his Spike's are rounded like and soft perfect for living near big masses of water. 

Salamander

A9WYG2.thumb.jpg.a0ca82fa9591ccebfeab508b1fe47bee.jpg

Spike

11-12-50-images.jpg.dedaef63b8b0c3dea241e10a361bda8c.jpg

Big Spike

11-13-07-images.jpg.8e721aea4b8e091b9a5a7d918d004cc3.jpg

But nope. Let's just throw that out the window and forget other types of dragons exist because the only dragon that matters is the classic European one. Let's close any and every possiblity of finding out that he was wrong about thinking that the answer to his past was with the western dragons and that he was looking in the wrong place the whole time and his family was another race or type of dragons which could have been a cool addition to the expansion of equestria races. Nope! None of that!

I would have been ok with it if at least he grew up a bit after the molt, like in height at least, with wings and all, sure... But he didn't grew an inch! It's just him... With wings... And that's it. :kirin:

I know it's a personal complain because everyone liked him and the change and his wings, and he's perfect, and the wings are valid too because according to lore there's winged salamanders too and yarayara, and shut the fuck up because you are ruining everyone's fun. Just wanted to talk about it because I appreciated and valued wingless spike for what he was. :maud:

Maybe more than the wings themselves is the attitude the show, the staff, the writers, and the fans in general had towards the fact that Spike was different. They all wanted him to change because it wasn't "natural" for him not to be winged like the other dragons, from "why is spike wingless" to "look at my fanart of spike with wings because he's a dragon and he's supposed to have them" to "when is spike going to have wings", and then the show always having to justify him being different to the others having him always trying to be something he wasn't, and that was ok until it wasn't anymore. It could have been a great lesson to learn that he didn't had to change because he was always valuable for what he was he just couldn't see it because he was always trying to follow the wrong crowd and always trying to get validation from them to validate himself. Even after getting the wings he was like "oh now that means I gotta go because dragon tradition say so". We learned nothing. In the end he did what everyone wanted from him. Again. Because as we know spike is not a person. 

Anyway. Despite what I think about it, what do you think about it. And what go you think the show could have done with spike in general?

(edit) took out the wings part for spoiler\'s sake

Edited by Ittoni

I was very confused to be sure because I thought him not having then when he was big the first time meant he'd never have any. As of now, not a fan of him having them. We'll see if that progresses when I eventually finish the series.

We like to have new things so long as they fit in, but we don't like change.

You have to remember that 1) the show established a reason behind these things late as hell. 2) they didn't establish other types of dragons. Just that Spike was different from literally anything else the show bothered to call a dragon. Despite there being other creatures we can call dragons in our world like the Kirin and The Seaserpents (which will be argued) but they are never called dragons/dragon types. Unlike like Ponies and Griffons having multiple types Dragons were simply the Eurpean standard. Nothing more or less in the show. Yes it is fucking horrible but that's how the show established itself from the start and simply exapanded on just that idea alone.

Is it annoying yes. Do I mind- no, there were hints to it from the start with what they stablished. Suddenly saying there are other types of dragons canonically will need far more exploration than they ever bothered to put it. It would have been cool to see seadragons and such but the movie made Spike a puffer fish instead because of narrow mindedness that has plagued the show and stood with it.

There is A LOT the show could have done and refused to do. It is what it is.