Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What are things that give you confidence?

Dreambiscuit

Do you have any personal possessions that make you feel happier, more attractive, more confident, or reinforces your identity? Maybe you have an outfit that’s comfortable and reflects your personality, or a cool gadget that gives you the tools you need to succeed, a jewelry item or accessory that accents your image, a vehicle you love to drive, or even a personal decoration like a tattoo or a different hair color? Anything goes, so please tell us about your own special confidence boosters and what you love about them.

• Brohoof 2

In Terms of clothing i have nothing.

However my big DC Collection makes me happier and helps me get distracted from real-life.

But i also dont have Merchandize from DC except for some really small toys you can get in like a Kinder surprise egg thingy.

• Brohoof 1

There sure is: it's knowledge and experience.
If you know that 2+2=4, and why is that true, there's no way anyone could tell you otherwise, because you know, from your own experience.
The same goes with any other activity in life: the more you know about it, the more experienced you are in it, the more confident you are about it.
Other things (such as affirmations) usually don't work well because you don't really believe it if it isn't your current experience. (Quite the contrary, actually: affirmations are usually in contradiction to your current experience, and believing in them can make you insane.)

• Brohoof 1

Didn't think this was going to be about objects, otherwise I was just going to say my ego, lol.

I suppose things I've made or worked on give me some pride as I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Yesterday I was sanding some scrap wood for a project, but there were 3 layers of paint to get through so it took a while, but I was satisfied with the final product which looked like freshly cut piece.

• Brohoof 1

On terms of objects - my glasses, which conceal particular imperfection on my face

And the fact that I was the best at math, chemistry and computer science in 9th grade motivates me to be as good as I can now and study hard

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Being excited about something usually gives me confidence. Or maybe I just get so excited I don't have time to be nervous, and I end up going on a long monologue about whatever it is I'm excited about. It's happened a few times.

A bit of a stranger source of confidence, but especially in high school (back when I had more than just a couple friends), I was known to do anything for the sake of humor. Not sure if it was peer pressure from my idiotic friends, just wanting to be funny, or both, but if the opportunity to do something really dumb and humorous came up, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Like the time I smashed my head into a table repeatedly (I love smashing things into my head or my head into things. It gets the best reactions out of people), or all the times I'd shoot ice at random people out of a straw (in retrospect, probably not the nicest thing to do to people I didn't know, but was still funny in the moment), or this other time... actually, that one's probably a bit too inappropriate for the forums, but you get the picture. Nothing gives me more confidence than being with a group of dumb friends and having an opportunity to do something even dumber.

Edited by Booker
  • Brohoof 1

My truck gives me confidence. Driving it around and showing it off. I’ve put so much work and money into it and it makes me swell with pride when I see all the heads it turns and when people point and shout “cool truck!” Etc. :adorkable:

(edited)

Whenever I succeed at something without help whatsoever, that makes me feel better about myself. Especially if it's something I usually struggle with.

Edited by Emerald Heart
  • Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

My truck gives me confidence. Driving it around and showing it off. I’ve put so much work and money into it and it makes me swell with pride when I see all the heads it turns and when people point and shout “cool truck!” Etc. :adorkable:

I know exactly what you mean! I feel the same way when I drive my little Smart car around. I didn’t have to put a lot into fixing it myself (which would be way beyond my capabilities) but I still love it when I see people smiling (or even laughing) at my funny little car.

And, chiming in on other confidence boosters for me, besides the car, are my Irish walking cape, leather jacket with Disneyland crest on it, an older blue dress that fits like a glove and yet remains incredibly comfortable, my leather passport case and my wool felt study notebook. I don’t know why, but these things have a vibe that just make me feel more like ‘me’ for some reason.

• Brohoof 1

@Lucky Bolt and @Dreambiscuit: that's why driving a car in a dream is usually a metaphor for self-confidence and control over your life ;) People who lack self-confidence or feel that they have not enough control over their lives, often dream about trying to drive a car and failing from some reason (e.g. the car drives on its own, ignoring their "commands", or the steering wheel doesn't turn, or they drive it from the back seat, etc.). But if you are confident, the car in your dream either works fine, or doesn't appear at all (because when people drive a car, they usually just "become one with the car" and don't have to think about it, they just move as one wherever they want, which to the subconscious mind is no different from going there on foot).

• Brohoof 1

I feel most confident when I feel I look good; nice outfit, clear skin, well applied makeup, etc. 

Praise. I respond REALLY well to positive reinforcement.

(The problem is that I rely a bit too much on positivity from outside sources, whilst not believing much of my own positive self-talk.)

• Brohoof 1