Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open An Arrow to the Wing (1x1 with Catpone Cerberus)

Lucid_Nightlight

@Catpone Cerberus

"She stole from you. She has your territory. We have plenty of bones to make weapons from. Maybe I can make you some artificial claws from the bones we have now. Maybe a claw gauntlet? Two?"

Quasi looked thoughtful.

"An elephant uses their tusk to fight. Would your horns be long enough to penetrate the scales?"

"But there is a problem... the useful horns are on the back of your head, that would require you look down and have your eyes off the opponent. But, maybe I can make a good distraction for you. Get your horns into the neck, and she is dead. Other than that, you could rip off her horn and stab her with it. With one that would be a challenge, with two, we have a chance."

--------------------------------------------------

The dragons didn't return. Myra tended to Sky's minor wound and would give him a loving nuzzle.

"Must've been a small patrol. We'd still be fighting if it was a battalion. They'll know we're coming now. We best be prepared. And you for an assassin, you've faced them well."

@Catpone Cerberus

"She stole from you. She has your territory. We have plenty of bones to make weapons from. Maybe I can make you some artificial claws from the bones we have now. Maybe a claw gauntlet? Two?"

Quasi looked thoughtful.

"An elephant uses their tusk to fight. Would your horns be long enough to penetrate the scales?"

"But there is a problem... the useful horns are on the back of your head, that would require you look down and have your eyes off the opponent. But, maybe I can make a good distraction for you. Get your horns into the neck, and she is dead. Other than that, you could rip off her horn and stab her with it. With one that would be a challenge, with two, we have a chance."

The cat from earlier was somehow still there and was trying to eat the peeled dragon.

"Aw... the kitty is hungry. Wanna be our pet? Yeah, wanna be our little kittypet?"

The moment Quasi said 'kittypet' the cat hissed and jumped on Quasi, scratching him. It seemed offended.

"GET IT OFF!"

--------------------------------------------------

The dragons didn't return. Myra tended to Sky's minor wound and would give him a loving nuzzle.

"Must've been a small patrol. We'd still be fighting if it was a battalion. They'll know we're coming now. We best be prepared. And you for an assassin, you've faced them well."

@Lucid_Nightlight
Ruby shook her head "I'm not going to use weapons or help." "My mother is not just a kill among others, it's personal and it has to be done right." "It's not about sending a message, not about impressing anyone, it's about personal satisfaction." "It's not something you can help me with, because I won't accept your help with it." she wasn't going to hurry with killing her mother.

"I see the cat and I have something in common, anyway, make yourself useful and cut some meat for the cat, maybe it'll forgive you." 

--------------------------------------
"Dragons are very commonly used as bodyguards." Ember simply said, partly dismissing the praise "They are usually the least of my troubles." oddly enough it always seemed like the bodyguards were easier to deal with than the one they were protecting, and the goons were the easiest. 

@Catpone Cerberus

Quasi would cut up some meat and the cat would start to eat, purring happily.

"Looks like you've been replaced as an apex predator, Ruby."

Quasi would go to the dead dragon and take it's heart and give it to Ruby.

"If your kind expressed love, this is how you would do it." He was obviously being silly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's the point of having bodyguards if they are weaker?"

"Well, would you want be killed while asleep? I'm sure Ember knows a lot about that."

"No maybe they woke up first in most cases."

"Oh, I'm glad they're okay then."

"Really?"

@Lucid_Nightlight
Ruby took the heart and ate it, looking Quasi in the eyes, clearly wanting to see his reaction , before finishing with her bone collecting and moving what was left of the dragon into a pile in middle of the ravine "You know, I never understood the symbolism of emotions being in the heart." "But I must admit, if love and friendship included more actual hearts, it could have been bit more interesting to get into." "Giving someone the heart of your enemy sound almost charming as an idea." this was one of the times when it was hard to tell if she was being serious or joking.

After collecting the remains of her opponent  in one place, Ruby lit them on fire, sending the smell of roasted dragon in the air, not something you smelled often around here. She then wrapped the bones into the scales and carried it in her part of the cave. 
-----------------------------------------------------
Ember wasn't fully sure what was said with the last sentences, but she commented on the one that involved her "Bodyguards are for what their name says, guarding, they keep an eye out for threats day and night, they are also good meat shields if a threat arrives, usually gives the one protected time to escape." "Not when I'm involved of course, but usually." "Though I too find it odd that they are usually so much worse at fighting than their bosses, never figured out the real reason for that, maybe the bosses are just too insecure to have someone stronger around." 

@Catpone Cerberus

"I suddenly don't feel too well."

Quasi would then fall over and wake up a few minutes later,

"Why would you do that? Only savages do that sort of thing."

The fact he was in in love with Ruby baffled even Quasi.

---------------------------------------------------

"In my world, the bodyguards are usually the ones with killing ability while the ones they're protecting just tell people what to do. Though they do sometimes try to fight, they typically lose their chance to get captured instead of killed. My missions in many times want me to capture, but give me the option to kill if I need to. High level terrorist leaders pay lot's of money, wish I could've got Bin Laden, but I was in an orphanage at the time and the navy seals got killed him. A lot money that man was worth."

"Could've retired if I got him!"

@Lucid_Nightlight
"Savages?" Ruby asked amused, she had returned to sitting and was looking at the fire, but when Quasi spoke, she got up and made her way to him "I'm no savage..." she took hold of his chin with surprisingly gentle but firm grip and forcibly moved his head to face hers, she smiled a genuine looking smile, which somehow was more unsettling than her usual grin, she continued "...I'm a monster." she then let go of him "It's weird feeling you know, to feel nice to be back in a place you despise." she walked to a spot in the ravine and picked up something, it was a broken off piece of a claw, it looked old, she looked at it with knowing look "You ask me why I do what I do, I could say I do it because I enjoy it, but that wouldn't be the whole truth and you know it, you have been in my head after all." she crushed the claw "Can you guess why I chose this place specifically as the place to settle down?" her thoughts didn't reveal anything, in fact she only thought 'no cheating' in repeat

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So hiring one to kill someone is okay only if it's your side doing it?" Ember remarked "Typical." they should have expected such response really, one shouldn't talk of one's doings in such positive light if they had just criticized the other for doing the same thing. The crow finally came back to Ember, and from looks of its beak it had been getting a taste of dragon. "Shall we continue on our way?" 

@Catpone Cerberus

"No, too pretty for a monster and... is it motivation to kill your mother? A place like this would bring back memories, and maybe you want to never forget. And are you like trying to scare me? You ate a heart, that isn't scary, that's just gross. Then again... I guess I walked into that..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Only if it's legal and I'm literally part of an organization that is government made I go after terrorists and sometimes organized crime, though organized crime criminals are capture missions unless I need to protect myself. Now talk about something else, like how you wanna marry Arrow!"

"She has not indicated that in the slightest. Then again, she isn't easy to read."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"I don't need to motivate myself to kill anyone, but you're right it is related to memories." Ruby corrected "And no, not trying to scare you, I just no longer put effort in to not scare you, I'm done trying to please anyone." she then pointed at the ground under herself "This is where Ruby Shine was created, where the naive Charir Kethend learned how truly cruel the world is." she kept a short pause "I should have died here, yet here I am" she got up and walked to the remains that were there at their arrival "But something did die here." she then destroyed what was left.

----------------------------------------------------

"Murder is murder regardless of who pays for it, the type of fake morality you seem to practice is very common among those that we in our world call villains." Ember stated "And I don't know where you got the idiotic thought, but I'm not interested in, nor will I ever marry anyone, especially a random dragon hunter I have barely talked to." during the time they had been in this group, the interactions had been mainly between Sky and everyone else, so even if there was slightest of  chances that the half-dragon bounty hunter could get along with Arrow well enough to even considering liking him, it hadn't happened yet due to them barely talking.

@Catpone Cerberus

"There is good and there is bad, that's a part of life. Innocence, you've lost innocence as humanity lost his. Was Charir Kethend you, or was she your innocence?"

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yeah, she's kinda right, we've not interacted much. Why would I fall in love with someone I don't know, that's Quasi's thing."

"I fell in love with Myra fast."

"Yeah, even though I shot down your jet! That I WON'T pay for."

"It was expensive and you shot it down."

"You flew over MY territory. I thought you were a dragon!"

"Wow, you think a jet is a dragon? How stupid are you?"

"Stupid enough to put you down like a limping horse."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"I wouldn't say I was ever innocent, I was on the top after all, I had quite the body count behind me."  Ruby said looking at the destroyed remains "But I was naive, didn't realize just how the world works, how meaningless everything is." "It doesn't matter what you do, one slip up and those with less principles take full advantage and you'll be forgotten." she looked up "It is indescribable experience, to watch death in the eye while helplessly on others' mercy, but it's also freeing, you have nothing to lose if you have lost everything." she turned towards Quasi "I wanted to die, I didn't want to survive, yet here I am, trying to find something that gives me joy for longer than a moment." she looked at the still burning pile of dragon "You were right at one point, there isn't enough things to kill, but not because they run out, it's because it's too quick, it doesn't last long enough." she was bit all over the place with her words, but was that really a surprise from a creature that never talked about emotions?

-----------------------------------------------------
"You met through a special event, that's a different situation than two hired killers happening to have the same direction." Ember said "And I still don't understand where you got the idea that I had any interest in anyone, and as far as you know I could already be in a relationship." she wasn't, but that was besides the point, it was quite bold assumption to not only assume someone liked other, but that they wanted to go straight to marrying without knowing anything about them. This whole time she kept a very professional tone.

@Catpone Cerberus

"Well, I like Ruby Shine, a red gem can be dull, but Ruby Shine fits you well. I want to be the one to give you joy, and I know I've done a terrible job so far, but, I hope I can help you. Truth is, I've seen plenty of dragons wishing they were dead, they didn't always show that, but when you can read minds, you learn more than you wanna know"

"I hope you and I will have a future together whether it's in your land, or any. I want my home to always be wherever you are."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you're taken, I feel bad for them."

"Hey, bad dog, no treat."

"I'll shoot you."

"Sky, don't say that."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"I'm kinda hoping that, there's a reason why I let you come with me after all." Ruby said, a quite the surprising statement most likely"And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I see anything in you, in fact, I still find the whole love and friendship thing ridiculous, but what do I have to lose?" she walked to the head of the dragon she had killed, as it was only recognizable thing left of it "At worst I'm annoyed for some time and have some company, but in the best case scenario, as unlikely as it is, I can feel satisfied once more." "Because as much as I hate to admit it, you were right about survival, it is meaningless, if you greatest success is to not die, you are nothing." she then took the head and threw it out of the ravine, all the way up, quite impressive throw even for her.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"As if you knew anything about me, because unlike a certain dog, I can stay professional when I'm working." Ember said "I'm honestly flattered that you think I act like this all the time." she too had emotions after all, she just knew how to bottle them up until it was appropriate to let them out "I feel bad for anyone who has to tolerate you on daily basis."

@Catpone Cerberus

"Well, if you do start learning to love, don't try and kiss me after eating a heart." This was obviously him joking.

"Tell me Ruby, when you were made to feel for a few heartbeats, what was it like to you?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Keep that up and I'll come knocking on your door asking for a refund."

"I don't think Ember gives refunds. Don't refuse to pay her either, one of you won't make it out alive."

"I have several weapons."

"A weapon is only useful when you know when to use it."

"Trust me, if her stealth is good, you'll die before you realize she is there. I don't think Ember will confront you directly while you're armed, she'll be in and out"

Sky would keep walking with a look that made him look like a little foal that was told no

@Lucid_Nightlight
"Like being dropped in a herd of new unknown species with my eyes covered." Ruby responded "Sensing, or in this case feeling lot of things but not knowing what any of them are, but also being overwhelmed enough to not be able to think what they could be." it hadn't really sold her on the emotion idea, seemed messy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Bold for you to assume you would reach my door." Ember stated, she and Ruby had something in common, both of their houses were, even if Ruby's house no longer existed, quite dangerous for anyone not invited, though they had their own reasons, as for Ember it was for her own protection, she had quite a lot of enemies after all. "And for weapons, they are pretty useless against someone whose whole thing is to not be noticed." she then pointed out, even if it had already been said in a way "But can we stop this childish comparison game already? It helps nobody"

@Catpone Cerberus

"Hmm... I could give you the emotional 'oh I know you can love!' but, let's face it, feelings and facts are not always one and the same. Let's look at this from a scientific perspective. You seem rather respectful towards baby dragons, I noticed one climbed on you, and you shook it off gently as to not hurt it. In theory, that means you have motherly tendencies. Many lizards do not care for their young, and wouldn't mind just outright murdering them. It seems your kind is not exactly like that."

Quasi looked thoughtful.

"It could have something to do with your past too, this would show signs of empathy. Though, you may not feel it often due to environmental reasons. What about the feeling of owing something to someone? Have you felt like you owed anything to anyone? Maybe you've considered that Ember character a friend of yours?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Since Sky was finally shutting up, Arrow took the chance to speak to Ember.

"So, you killed your share of dragons? We're the same in the regards that we both went after bounties. Well, you still do that. My bounties were for dragons set by governments. Any I could capture alive, I would, these were the smaller dragons that were easy to restrain. The bigger dragons, well, I'd have to kill them, I couldn't use magic to make me stronger, because it lasts for a short time and I can only use it once per day for a short time. It really takes a lot out of me. Usually, I rely on weapons and tactics, I just noticed the opportunity to use the trick and went for it. Bigger dragons are worth more usually because no one goes after those guys, their just two big and the average pony can't take them out. My work was more legal."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"Don't mistake my actions for the norm among my kind, as I have said, I'm one of if not the most friendly one." Ruby pointed out "It is true that we do not kill our young, but it is not because we care, it's because we get only one and the whole progress is annoyingly slow." "The reason why I didn't harm your kind's young, is because unlike my mother, I don't take pleasure from making hatchlings suffer, and hurting them would cause more trouble than it's worth." "Besides, only weaklings harm those with no way of defending themselves." 

"And I have never felt as if I owe something, but I do acknowledge the things someone has done for me, and in some cases see fit to return them, I also honor deals, but only to the exact letter, and that has nothing to do with me feeling anything, I just believe that keeping one's promises is a sign of strength." "And Ember was not a friend, only someone with mutual interests, she had an easy way to get rid of bodies, while I was assured that she kept her nose out of my business, and I got a free meal out of it now and then," 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Dragons, ponies, weird bipedal hippos, you name it, I have probably killed it, as long as it's intelligent enough to not be considered a wild animal, though I have also taken some of those down, some creatures use them as guards." Ember explained "I take down those that your beloved governments won't for PR reasons, think for example if Celestia suddenly came out with a public bounty for some mob boss, firstly she would need to admit there is such crime, and second she would need to admit that there's actual murders going on in Equestria." "And don't think it's not murder because it's legal, killing someone takes a life away regardless of if you are given permission by those in power or not" 

@Catpone Cerberus

"For me to sense your emotion, you need to be feeling it actively, so unless it's coming up and you just don't know it, because you know nothing about it, I'm unable to say for sure. I don't wanna seem desperate but, I'm genuinely curious about this. There was a society in your world, I know due to language, magic, and I noticed the books too. A society cannot start without cooperation, I think this collapse wasn't a biological thing, but a social and cultural decline. Unless maybe there were dragons or something stronger than your kind, that would explain, however, I've noticed a similar problem with Griffinstone, greed and hatred."

He had an idea.

"Elder dragons. I wanna meet one. If it attacks us, we'll just kill it, self defense."

He spoke as if killing such a large dragon was that simple, they didn't exactly have Moonstone to fly into their mouth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I can't really agree with the illegal route, I'm sure you don't expect me to. So, do you have a special connection to Equestria or is what Equestria has to offer more your thing even though it isn't legal? Maybe some other reason? I don't agree with hiding problems from the public, how will we solve our problems if we sweep them under the rug? Now look where we are, we tried to handle the Fironians discreetly, and now Equestria is at war."

"First off, the armor. too shiny, they'll see us coming. The Lunar royal guard has amazing armor, aside from the piece on the helmet, easy to grab, take that out, and you got good armor that is protective and provides good mobility. Harder to spot at night too, great for nighttime raiding. However, if those gun weapons become common, we would want to either change the armor, or do away with it completely, as our current armor would become obsolete."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"It is indeed greed that brought down that civilization, greed that comes naturally to us." Ruby stated "My own theory is that since it was so long time ago, it was not us who had a civilization per say, but that we are a subspecies of sorts, some call it evolution, some call it adaptation, but it's undeniable that each generations is different than the previous one, and considering how many generations it has been, a change is bound to happen."

"And how many times do I need to tell you, one can't just go and meet an elder, because nobody knows where they are if they still exist." "If they are at the homelands, they are either so deep or so well hidden that someone like I or you have no chance to reach them." "And while I'm strong, even I can't go against reality, those dragons, if they still are alive, would be big enough to swallow us both whole at the same time and not even notice it."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not fully sure what you're asking, but my only connection to Equestria is that I have happened to grow up there." Ember said "And while I agree that Equestria's way to handle problems isn't a good one, that's why I do what I do, there currently isn't a better option that wouldn't lead to increase in suffering of innocent creatures." 

"Equestrian armor is just for show, and while they do have some better armor available, as there's plenty of skilled blacksmiths, it wouldn't do much when you consider that nobody, and I mean nobody, from neither guard, have experience in real combat." "They also just chased away a potential help in armor production, could you imagine if a deal was made with Ruby to allow Equestrians make armor from her kind's scales?"  

@Catpone Cerberus

"Wow, your kind is bigger than mud mudwings... but they're more fat than big. Don't get wrong though, my kind would get big too if we lived that long, you've seen Darkstalker, horns the size of multiple of the largest dragon in my land. Animus magic could probably take one out since an animus could literally just take control of one and make them tear their insides out. That's how Darkstalker killed his own dad."

"Sky whispered me something earlier, if evolution was real, Princess Celestia would be a monkey."

----------------------

"I guess so, maybe if Celestia would actually help Equestria and not hide its problems behind friendship, we'd get somewhere."

Myra walked up.

"I'm sorry about Sky, he means well, really. He just feels that he has to prove himself."

"Why?"

"Sky grew up in two orphanages. The one he spent most of his childhood in treated him terribly, if he had no fur, you would notice marks from his abuse. On occasion, it can be as if he's still in the orphanage."

"I see. I know someone else who's had this issue, he's 1500 years old and the damage mentally remains with him."

"When you get to know him, he's really nice. He's an amazing leader and has done much to help many."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"Don't know what a monkey is, probably something that doesn't exist in this world." Ruby stated, emphasizing 'this' "You see, Sky is an idiot, it may be that in his world things don't evolve, that everything just stays the same, I wouldn't know, I'm not from there, but in this world, they do change." "He lacks the awareness that everything everywhere isn't like in his own world, awareness that even I have, and pride is in my nature." "See those birds there?" she pointed at the still burning pile of dragon, there was a group of birds taking pieces out of the burning meat, they looked similar to crows, but they were bigger, they had bigger and sharper beak than normal crows, and they were covered in seemingly fire-proof scales instead of feathers. "They didn't exist 100 years ago, back then there was only birds that looked the same as Equestrian birds." "They have evolved to survive in the homelands where meat is tougher to rip and they are surrounded by fire." "So I don't care what Sky thinks he knows, he's wrong, I have seen it with my own eyes." 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Past is no excuse, murderers usually have hard childhood, but you don't make excuses for them." Ember said rather coldly "And don't get me wrong, I have empathy for those going through bad things, that's how I ended up in this job, but you can't point me with a gun and scream childhood when I hit you with my blade." "Only thing he has proved until now is that he's a child with a weapon." there was a small break in her professional demeanor, but it was quickly over and only visual so it was hard to say what exact feeling had gotten through "Everyone has their ghosts from the past, I experienced things that I still see nightmares about, but that doesn't give me a reason to act like I'm above everyone, instead I treat others accordingly to how they treat me, while I actively try to fix my own problem." and that was even with the fact that her dragon half was constantly thinking 'I'm the best', it wasn't easy to be a hybrid of two different natured creatures.

@Catpone Cerberus

"Whatever the case, I don't wanna give up on you. I'd rather have a broken wing, and that isn't fun, I like to fly, something about it is appealing."

---------------------------------------------

"Go easy on them, especially Sky, even if it is no excuse, he may not be in a good place mentally. We might want to keep an eye on him, if his state if emotion is what I think it is, he might use his gun one last time."

"I told them not to send Sky out here. He must've run out of his medication at a terrible time."

"Should we take his weapons?"

"Probably, I've seen him like this when he was younger, I had to save him from an oncoming car."

"Car?"

"A means of transportation, like a carriage that needs no ponies to pull. Goes pretty fast, pretty lethal if it hits you. I ended up taking him to a police station, that's how we found out about the abuse. This was before he was a bounty hunter. The orphanage was raided by police that night. He usually acts nothing likes this."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"You'll learn to ignore small injuries like that when you get injured enough." Ruby said, glancing around the ravine without any particular reason "Wings are also awfully easy to break, that's why I have learned to manage without them." she hadn't missed the implications of what Quasi said, but was it really surprising at this point that she dismissed it? "I think I'll get myself something to eat, could also check the caves of those two weaklings to see if they have managed to gather any treasure." 

--------------------------------------------------------

"I'll treat him like I treat everyone when I'm working." Ember said, again with cold professionalism "No special treatment from me, especially since you all are already getting special treatment from me." this whole thing of going after random creatures in name of war was quite outside how she dealt with things, and in normal situation, she would have gone on her own way the moment Sky had pulled his gun. "And you can assure me that he doesn't act like this usually as much as you want, I don't care, because he acts like it right now, and that's what matters to me." 

@Catpone Cerberus

"I hope they had no eggs, I'd feel terrible."

He shivered thinking about having to take care of a hatchling of the dragon he killed.

----------------------------------------------------

"Sky, I'm taking your weapons."

"What? Why?"

"You're on suicide watch. It's on me for not doing that earlier, Sky. You're not mentally stable, Myra will use herbs to treat your mental state and once you're doing well, you can have your weapons. Honestly, we'll have to contest this issue in federal court, as they sent you out without medication, putting you in unnecessary danger and is a clear violation of the terms that were agreed to when you took this line of work."

They stopped. Myra took out some small yellow flowers and grinded them up.

"His actions have no excuse, true, however, a lack of empathy is dangerous, especially in your line of work. You'll lose yourself. I understand his pain, even if it's for a different cause. His post-traumatic stress comes from abuse, mine comes from the death of a lover that died in my last bounty. That dragon used magic to become powerful and was able to kill her before I killed them. So, understand why I have sympathy for Sky."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"She didn't, trust me." not only did the dragon not act like a female with offspring would, Ruby could also have been able to smell it from her "And males don't take care of offspring, or care about them"  she got ready to take off "Are you able to get your own food or do I need to get prey to you too?"

----------------------------------------

"You are mixing up not having empathy, and not showing it." Ember stated "As I stated before, I do have empathy for him, I just don't let it distract me." she looked at the blade on her spear "You need to understand what it is I do for work, my targets are mainly the worst of the worst, they are heartless, manipulative, *******, who love to mess with your head, letting my emotions distract me would be lethal for not only me, but also for the innocent creatures around those monsters." "I say to you the same thing I said to him, you don't know me, you only know what I show you." she looked at Arrow with serious look, more serious than the usual one "I have watched innocent creatures in the eyes while they have let out their last breath, unable to do anything about it, so please, don't preach to me about empathy."