Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open An Arrow to the Wing (1x1 with Catpone Cerberus)

Lucid_Nightlight

@Catpone Cerberus

A dragon walked in. She was a dark red.

"I will be here to help. Although, I don't know why we need this dragon."

"I don't trust her around the doctors. She might get in the way."

"And you trust her around children and babies?"

"That's why you're here. And I'm the queen. Mira, make sure she treats the hatchlings, maybe she'll learn something."

She turned to Ruby.

"Also, my son son is here. Be nice to Cliff."

Cliff looked up at the non-queen Ruby and smiled happily.

"Mommy killed grandma!"

@Lucid_Nightlight
Ruby rolled her eyes, the lengths she went for some gems, she would have rather went back to the dungeons to have a nap than stayed here, but she really didn't have the energy to start fighting about it, she would make sure she would be allowed to rest when she could leave, she didn't care if a bombardment of bombs would rain down upon her when she did get out of here, she wouldn't do anything before she got her peace.

She laid down on the ground, pushing hatchlings out of her way if any were under her, but she held her head up. "I have killed more dragons than I can count and will kill my mother." she would then say to Cliff, if she was to be here bothered by tiny lizards, she may as well talk to them about the real world.

@Catpone Cerberus

"Wow! Is your mommy mean? Why do you want her killeded?"

Mira would just watch, talking about death wasn't too much an issue. The place wasn't like Ruby's land, but it was still a tough place. Mira would look over while trying to break up two baby dragons fighting over a strawberry.

"Cliff, we don't ask questions like that. Sorry, Sventar, the small dragonet has no filter."

@Catpone Cerberus

After some time, Quasi would show up in the hatchery. His leg seemed to be healed, but steal gone. So, basically a stub.

"Turtle of the Seawings had a some kinda rock that heales muscle and scales."

The little dragons all looked at Quasi who clearly didn't mind.

"I didn't know you were good with kids. I expected you to like eat them."

@Lucid_Nightlight
Ruby would continue talking about her upbringing, telling more specific stories if asked to, but the basic idea that one could get out of it was that it was a miracle that she wasn't even worse company than she already was.

When Quasi appeared Ruby didn't face him until he talked to her "I'm heartless, not a monster, there's nothing fun about killing hatchlings." "Besides, dragons are chewy and just generally unpleasant to eat." there also was the fact that as much as she hated being here, she was still a female dragon, and regardless of if she liked it or not, she had certain instincts related to hatchlings. 

@Catpone Cerberus

Quasi looked around and read the minds.

"Huh. Yeah, that would damage me as well."

"So, I'm guessing you're leaving. I'm gonna go with you guys, since no one usually watches the hatchlings, we just wanted to keep Sventar from distracting the doctors with complaints about Quasi being weak or whatever."

"Why do you wanna go with me? I can take care of myself."

"I'm keeping an eye on you. Your leg is gone and I was your caretaker when you were young."

Mira was very protective of Quasi, almost like a mother.

@Catpone Cerberus

"Alright, let's meet the guys at the tavern and we'll head back to Equus. We should stay the night at the tavern first to like actually decide how we're going to actually win the war."

"Wait, so they didn't give you any instruction or plan? They basically decided 'alright, go win this war' and sent you on your way?"

Quasi looked thoughtful for a moment.

"Queen Glory didn't want to interfere with the prophecy. I'm guessing Princess Celestia talked it out with Queen Glory? That or Princess Celestia is a terrible leader, honestly... that wouldn't surprise me given that intead of utilizing and properly training her guards, she sends some ponies and a small squishy dragon to handle dangerous situations. Than, and one of the ponies she sends is a princess with an important role and she sends her UNPROTECTED!"

"Really? How did Equestria last so long? And Ruby, what is your homeland like? Is it like some big powerful empire that rules over half the world? A strong kind like yourself must have some major influence, right?"

@Lucid_Nightlight
"Magic." Ruby stated "That's how they keep Equestria standing, that's also why they always send those seven, they have no need for armies when they can just send a small group to magic the threat away." she had looked into things back when she was considering taking over Equestria. "And for my kind, really depends on what you consider an empire." "We rule quite a large area considering our relatively low numbers, and any creature that may have been considered a threat at some point has been either driven away or brought to extinction." "But we are not a nation, we are just lone killers fighting over territory, only thing going above our hate for each other is our hate towards all other creatures." "There used to be nation, but like every empire eventually, it collapsed before ponies had their first town, bringing about the current system of natural order." "This is also why we are unknown outside our area of influence, we kill any outsiders that may find our lands, so nobody survives to tell others about it, which is better for everyone, because if rest of my kind learn what they are missing through new species coming in greater numbers ....well, there's a reason why we are called 'Bringers of death' by our eastern relatives, we don't need to win for others to lose."

t@Catpone Cerberus

"So, with proper preparation and information on your kind, an army could quickly and easily take over your lands? That's what I'm gathering. Physical strength is useless without organization."

"She thinks it's weak or something. She also hates pack animals."

"No weak, smart. Now, I'm not trying to lecture on rainbows or whatever thrvfi e Equestrians talk about, but organization in a group is strong if done right. One dragon cannot fight an army of thousands. Good group will benefit the majority of those in said group, even better if all."

From her tone, she wasn't talking about friendship and morals, and while she did believe those were important, she was talking strategy and strength.

"Your kind is everyone for themself? Kill or be killed? That's how an animal lives. Actually, even some animals understand the flaws in that way of life... well, actually it's instinct, but my point stands. In a kill or be killed world, there is always someone out there able to kill you. In a society, there are laws and order and opportunity. I've spoke to the dragon you killed, he isn't nice, but from what I gather, your kind is highly intelligent, you could get far in a society if you put your mind to it."

Did she expect Ruby to change her kind? No, she'd expect Ruby to get killed if she tried. She was just pointing out what was strategically smarter.

@Lucid_Nightlight

"Of course that's how animals live, we are animals, you are animals, ponies are animals, no matter how much you like to claim otherwise." Ruby stated "This is one of the reasons why I despise all of you,you talk like I'm an idiot." "I know groups are more powerful, that's why prey lives in groups, but it doesn't make it any less weak." "And no, an army could not take our lands easily nor quickly, they would eventually sure if their numbers are great enough, but the losses would be so great it wouldn't be worth it, not to mention the economical cost, something we don't need to worry about." "Our land is also worthless for anyone who could take it over" "I also never understand why everyone wants my kind to become stronger, if we got organized, we would start killing other creatures instead of each other, and that would mean so much death and destruction that even I don't want it." "I and that other one are gentle and friendly compared to most of my kind."

Edited by Catpone Cerberus

@Catpone Cerberus

"The rainwings could probably do it with the proper training. Problem is, while they have deadly venom that would tear through the scales of your kinds, Rainwings are just so... nice and friendly. Training them typically means keeping them from falling asleep and playing with toucans. Skywings are known for endurance and speed while flying, only problem is that we cannot penetrate your scales. Animus magic could actually be used to make weapons capable of piercing scales while making them at a fast pace, truth is, an animus could commit full on genocide if they wanted to, thankfully they usually don't try or don't think far enough to be successful. One animus named Darkstalker almost wiped out the Icewings with a deadly plague and was only stopped by magic from another animus named Turtle. He goes to a school on Jade Mountain, oddly similar idea to that friendship school you have."

Dragons that overheard would look uneasy hearing that name, Darkstalker.

"Oh, he was scary. He used his magic to make everyone trust him, it was insane. He was scary. Compared to Darkstalker, you're just a stuffed animal."

"There was an idea thrown around by our queen. The idea was to get your kind to help fight for us, but the idea was scrapped after the first attempt at contact as quite a few Skywings were quickly killed. Someone suggested we declare war, but Queen Ruby said no. I guess now I know why. So... Deathbringers, huh? Queen Glory is in a relationship with a male Nightwing named Deathbringer... hmm..."

"Oh we could call Ruby's kind Deathwings! What do you think Ruby? What sounds good to you?"

@Lucid_Nightlight
"I'll show you what this stuffed animal can do if you keep trying to insult me." she was getting tired of the weird obsession that everyone had to try to put her down, everyone complained about her not liking others while in the next sentence trying to prove that she was weaker than she knew she was. This didn't mean she thought there was nobody who could win her in a fight, no, it just meant that it was talked about in wrong way, there was a way to tell how powerful someone one without insulting her in the same sentence.

"And I don't really care what you call my kind, I will always talk about dragons when I talk of my kind, but if you want to give my kind a nickname, go ahead, and if you insist on my opinion, using your naming system of everything being something-wings, Deathwings is at least fitting."

@Catpone Cerberus

"Alright, alright, we'll play nice. You sure think highly of yourself."

"And you sure think highly of her, admit it."

"I already did to her, she just didn't care all that much. Probably, emotions aren't always clear cut, even for me. Also, Ruby, you're still powerful, you could probably kill must Animus dragons if you went straight for the kill."

"Due to animus magic we can speak to each other. My language and this Ponish you speak translate each other. The animus didn't account for your native language. What is that language called? And what does kraskdao naushindcal even mean? The dragon was thinking that before y'all fought? I think I should call you that, it sounds cute."

@Lucid_Nightlight
Ruby would just look Quasi with a look that said 'you only now noticed?' after his first comment, she was fully aware how full of herself she was, and she wasn't exactly trying to hide it.

"We call our language, our language, but it can also be known as dragonic, though it is different from the dragonic that for example Equestrian dragons speak, but as you may have realized at this point, we don't really care about naming things anything special, why would we? since most of us never interact with anyone other than our kind and prey."

"And kraskdao naushindcal? It translates to 'murder fruit' which is very odd thing to think before a fight in my opinion, though I must admit I'm surprised he knew what a fruit is in the first place."

@Catpone Cerberus

"Huh. Murder fruit. Sounds like a thought that you have when you're really tired or just woke up, but he clearly wasn't tired. Clearly there's no fruit called a murder fruit. Maybe he wanted to murder a fruit? Maybe a rainwing gave him a fruit and he really hated it? I wouldn't know why he'd hate a fruit specifically, I'm pretty sure your kind just wants to murder everything in general."

"Hold on, you have no society and it's kill or be killed, yes? So there is no law, meaning to you killing isn't murder, just killing. Then again, you did say ya'll had a nation long ago. I don't understand. Your kind is strong, powerful, and intelligent. How did such a nation fall? The tribal nations of my world would feel a bigger fear and sense of wonder for your kind than we did the Nightwings, they were at one point to be the most powerful and scariest Tribe with palaces and cities. Well... they actually were that powerful thousands of years ago, but even then, your kind makes them look like..."

"Rabbits?"

"Exactly! Your scales are difficult to penetrate without the use of something explosive or some kind of magic, you're fast, you are immune to fire, you think and speak another language, so we'd have no idea what you're planning, you have the ability to use magic without losing sanity, sure lesser magic in many ways, but magic nonetheless. Honestly, I think Queen Ruby is actually afraid to go to war with your kind! Also you're good with children."

"She can also turn into a pony."

"You can do that? Can you turn into anything else? Like a bigger dragon?"

@Lucid_Nightlight
"The exact reasons for the collapse aren't known, because there isn't really any written history as far as I know, besides the little I found, and those elders that may still be alive from that time....nobody knows where they are, and trust me, everyone wants to find them, because it is believed that they have hoarded bigger treasures than even greediest of us can imagine." "But what I could gather from what I found, the collapse was total due to greed, and after the fragile order that was our nation had been broken, it couldn't be fixed." Ruby explained

"Also, I'd like to correct you, our magic by itself isn't any 'lesser' compared to yours, it is actually quite powerful, the problem just is that we have forgotten how to use it, so anyone who wants to use it, has to discover it again from mostly nothing." "And your queen is right to be afraid of my kind, and I'm not saying this to boast, I'm saying it because like I stated before, a war against my kind is never won, even if we lose." "And what comes to kids...you clearly didn't listen when I told about my upbringing." 

"And lastly, no, I cannot transform to anything else at the moment, because every transformation is its own spell, and as stated before, to learn a new spell, I have to create it myself, and that takes time and effort, but if I was to give that time and effort, I could transform into any form that is smaller or the same size as my real size, so no I can't turn into bigger dragon, and the reason is simple, I cannot create tissue out of nothing, so my size limit is what I have."

Edited by Catpone Cerberus

@Catpone Cerberus

"I must question. If you were too greedy to maintain the land, how did you start a nation at all? Was there once a time without greed?" She guessed Ruby didn't actually know. How could she?

"Early didn't you say you wanted to go back one day? Why? Even is society isn't doing it for you, why not just go to an unclaimed land without your kind, you'd be the most powerful one there? Get followers and get them to go with you. Maybe you could kill whoever is ruling the land is fighting against and have those dragons follow you. In my world, a female family member of a queen, usually a daughter or a niece will fight the queen in a royal challenge to the death to rule. However, I don't think the rules in your world are the same, if you killed the ruler of our enemy, you didn't challenge  them anyway, you conquered them."

"Yeah, you could, couldn't you? Maybe you won't have to find unclaimed land, we could also negotiate with Ember and take some of the land that was seceded from her territory. You are in a prophecy after all, if Princess Celestia if rewarding you, shouldn't Ember reward you also?"

As they said this, they'd soon approach a tavern, the one they were talking about earlier. Neither Quasi or Mira had interest in ruling with Ruby, not that they thought Ruby would allow that if they went through with the idea. Quasi and Mira just thought Ruby had the perfect opportunity, and if she did rule and her subjects didn't like her rule? They could always like leave or something. Arrow looked up, as he heard the conversation.

"Just so you know, if you try to take over Equestria, Celestia will either send Twilight and her friends to turn you into stone or they'll send me to kill you, so don't get any ideas, okay? Quasi wouldn't like me killing you."

Edited by Lucid_Nightlight

@Lucid_Nightlight
"I have no interest in ruling anyone or anything." Ruby simply stated before looking at Arrow "And if I was planning to take over Equestria, I would have done so already." she then faced the two other dragons again "I just want my territory and treasure back, and my revenge, and though it's true that there's plenty of land that's easy to take control of...that's boring, what point is there to be the strongest one if there's no challenge? Anyone can be the strongest if they surround themselves with weak enough creatures, I don't want that, I want fights that actually feel like fights." 

"But to return to your question regarding my kind, I don't know how the nation was formed, but you may be right at your assumption that we weren't as greedy back then, because it was very long time ago." "My kind can live over ten millennia, assuming we don't get killed first, which is lot more likely, so we can change as a species in what for us is relatively short time, so considering that the fall of that civilization was long enough time ago that those who know about the exact events have most likely died of old age if not something else, and that I have no idea how long it lasted, the start of it could be so long time ago that we were a totally different creature back then." 

@Catpone Cerberus

Sky looked up at Ruby.

"I don't really agree with evolution existing, but I do understand adaptation and natural selection to a certain extent. Passing genes onto another to make stronger offspring, sure, but regardless, wouldn't your kind adapt to society? How does something adapt the opposite way?"

"Fair. Maybe it wasn't a biological thing, but a cultural thing. Or an outside source caused it." Quasi had no idea what went on? Was he wrong and it was biological? He didn't know, but he had an idea.

"Many nations fell in my world, there were the Romans that depended to much on expansion with some other factors too, Soviet Union I actually don't know, too much money or something."

"Long ago in Nomadikós, there were two empires that consumed the other packs except one, that one pack used guerilla tactics to get the two empires to destroy each other. But even then, when a nation falls, another nation or multiple nations take it's place. Maybe by the nation that attacked them in war, or a new nation or nations emerge. It's not often if ever they become like your land, Ruby. I'm sure the humans and canines of my world might like to research the land and try to uncover the history. Though they might have to use robots and drones or whatever those things are to do that. I'm still surprised with this... modern technology."

@Lucid_Nightlight
Ruby just shrugged, she had told what she knew about her kind's past, and she wasn't interested in arguing about evolution with a dog from different world.
"Even if someone or something would manage to explore the homelands, I doubt there's much to find about our past." "In those few texts I managed to find, it was said that my kind never was one for writing, we did have some writing of course, we have a written language after all, but it's believed that most of that is either destroyed or hidden so well that no creature will ever find it." "Only reason why my kind in general knows anything about our past is because it's one of those stories that mothers tell their offspring to prove why our current lifestyle is the best." "Most of us can't even read, I had to self-teach myself to read when I found the books I did." 

@Catpone Cerberus

"Did your kind make palaces or houses? Or did you live in caves, and low tier made structures like the Nomadikans?"

"Low tier? Are you able to make a treehouse?"

"Well... no."

"Exactly. It takes a lot of work."

"Regardless, I know dragons in Equus live for a long time, if we can find a really old dragon, we can learn more and ask them."

Arrow looked at Sky.

"Not a good idea. To do that in a practical manner would mean sending people, that's dangerous. You don't know the terrain, the elders would probably be hard to find if there are any, the elders would kill the people sent... if they even get past the younger dragons. If you want to make it... you'd have to send in military units, and that would be counter-productive to learning about the land. And no, your country can't make one of their embassy's, it'd be an easy target."

"From what I know... you'd need a large military force. Let's put a pin in this."

Quasi looked at Ruby.

"You sure you don't want me to buy you a drink?"

@Lucid_Nightlight
"There's only some piles of stone left from the buildings that were made back then, they aren't enough to figure out what kind of buildings they were." Ruby simply stated ignoring the further dialogue, she had finally started to sound tired too, she had kept her voice in control until now. She looked at Quasi, "Like I said, I don't drink, it makes my senses less efficient, and if I take too much, I may end up going on a killing rampage." while she was lot more....civilized than most of her kind, she still had the more animalistic side to her, and keeping that in control took conscious effort, which in turn required sober mind. This didn't mean she couldn't drink, in fact, she could even get a bit drunk, but she rather didn't drink at all when she knew a fight was coming since it affected her ability to fight. "Only times I drink is when I'm trying to make someone else drunk in my pony form, and in those situations the target is out before I feel anything." 

@Catpone Cerberus

"Oh you think I want you to drink enough to get drunk? What kind of dragon do I look like to you!? I wouldn't want anywhere near you if you were drunk, and from what you just said, I think I won't risk giving you anything to drink at all..."

"I'll take up your offer!"

"That stuffs made for dragons. You'd probably either get really sick or die."

"Is that a fact?"

"I don't know, but it is made for things bigger than him- WAIT!"

She turned to Ruby.

"Getting ponies drunk!? They don't even have a chance at stopping you from taking their money at that point, that's not even fair!"

Sky noticed Quasi's leg.

"Woah, what happened to your leg?"

"Some jackals attacked and one blew himself up to try and take down Ruby. I think they view her as a serious threat."

"Clearly they are afraid of her."

Sky looked at Ruby.

"Usually this would mean kicking someone from a mission, but I that probably isn't the best move. You're a strategic asset."

"Even if she wasn't, I don't think she's afraid of some jackals, and honestly, I'm not afraid of them either. Jackals are prey, even if the prey fights, prey is still prey."

Edited by Lucid_Nightlight