Rainy Day

Do You Wish The Show Explained Its Lore More?

Recommended Posts

The show did a decent job with its lore, but there are definitely some parts it could've fleshed out a bit more. Mainly locations inside of Equestria. There are many places name dropped or hinted at in Equestria, which we truly never get to see. Other places, like Cloudsdale, should've gotten more screen time. One of the best locations, yet so underutilized. Instead, the show went down the route of introducing random places outside of Equestria. I just don't care as much about those places. 

The show could've spent some more time on fleshing out ponies too. It did a good job with Unicorns, but they could've given a bit more lore on pegasi. Plus, the abilities of Earth ponies were never really set in stone. On top of that, Bat Ponies were never truly explained. We see them a couple times as Luna's guard, but that's it. It would've been so cool to actually have lore on them. But, just like with locations, the show instead focused ore on the other creatures, which I'm also not as interested in.

These things do frustrate me, but it's not the end of the world. It is still a great show (though I wasn't the biggest fan of seasons eight and nine).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Landi72 said:

The show did a decent job with its lore, but there are definitely some parts it could've fleshed out a bit more. Mainly locations inside of Equestria. There are many places name dropped or hinted at in Equestria, which we truly never get to see. Other places, like Cloudsdale, should've gotten more screen time. One of the best locations, yet so underutilized. Instead, the show went down the route of introducing random places outside of Equestria. I just don't care as much about those places. 

The show could've spent some more time on fleshing out ponies too. It did a good job with Unicorns, but they could've given a bit more lore on pegasi. Plus, the abilities of Earth ponies were never really set in stone. On top of that, Bat Ponies were never truly explained. We see them a couple times as Luna's guard, but that's it. It would've been so cool to actually have lore on them. But, just like with locations, the show instead focused ore on the other creatures, which I'm also not as interested in.

These things do frustrate me, but it's not the end of the world. It is still a great show (though I wasn't the biggest fan of seasons eight and nine).

 

The Bat Pony thing really gets me and domes up what I disliked about the show's treatment of its own lore. They would often just introduce some new concept and practically never even address it, much less explain it :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rainy Day said:

The Bat Pony thing really gets me and domes up what I disliked about the show's treatment of its own lore. They would often just introduce some new concept and practically never even address it, much less explain it :huh:

I wished they did touch on that.
Going to be really annoyed if they say "They are just dressing up because its Nightmare Night and they aren't bat ponies" because that would troll many fans who've been into bat ponies pretty much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Rainy Day said:

The Bat Pony thing really gets me and domes up what I disliked about the show's treatment of its own lore. They would often just introduce some new concept and practically never even address it, much less explain it :huh:

Yes! An episode which introduced bat ponies and end explained their lore was near the top of my bucket list. They are such a fascinating type of pony. And what about Hollow Shades? For years we all thought that was the city of bat ponies, but then come season seven finale; It's just a dead secluded town with no life to be seen. So much wasted potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Landi72 said:

Yes! An episode which introduced bat ponies and end explained their lore was near the top of my bucket list. They are such a fascinating type of pony. And what about Hollow Shades? For years we all thought that was the city of bat ponies, but then come season seven finale; It's just a dead secluded town with no life to be seen. So much wasted potential.

They could say it was a home for bat ponies before something forced them out.
Speaking of that, they didn't explore the Well of Shade at all pretty much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an aside, whenever someone tells you how super awesome the state of FIM lore is, tell them you support the existence of the old gods that shall purge Equestria and bring about true balance as was foretold by the show's subtle hints 3Y6uKBJ.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, nightshroud96 said:

I wished they did touch on that.
Going to be really annoyed if they say "They are just dressing up because its Nightmare Night and they aren't bat ponies" because that would troll many fans who've been into bat ponies pretty much.

I never even thought about how they could just be costumes :huh: Honestly if that was how they explained away the concept of bat ponies I would have to admit it's quite clever, whether I would be satisfied with it or not :sealed:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rainy Day said:

I never even thought about how they could just be costumes :huh: Honestly if that was how they explained away the concept of bat ponies I would have to admit it's quite clever, whether I would be satisfied with it or not :sealed:

Not really clever honestly, it would be just trolling hard.
I mean, I think the whole bat pony thing in the fandom was caused mostly due to Luna's guards in Luna Eclipsed there.(With "Bats!" adding fuel to the passionate fire there)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Landi72 said:

Yes! An episode which introduced bat ponies and end explained their lore was near the top of my bucket list. They are such a fascinating type of pony. And what about Hollow Shades? For years we all thought that was the city of bat ponies, but then come season seven finale; It's just a dead secluded town with no life to be seen. So much wasted potential.

Being new to the fandom I wasn't present for what seems to have been a pretty huge amount of speculation and theorizing about the Bat Ponies. I didn't even realise that Hollow Shades was part of that. That must have been super underwhelming and disappointing to see at the end of season 7 :dry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, nightshroud96 said:

Not really clever honestly, it would be just trolling hard.
I mean, I think the whole bat pony thing in the fandom was caused mostly due to Luna's guards in Luna Eclipsed there.(With "Bats!" adding fuel to the passionate fire there)

Only clever in the sense that it would technically solve the issue neatly, not satisfying or interesting by any measure though :laugh:

Still, I don't see the show runners putting in something as specific as ponies with bat features without having some sort of plan for them. Maybe it was just meant as a throwaway but then to return to the concept in 'Bats!'? I dont think so :LunaMCM:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A show can do quite good, leaving room for interpretation. But I think FIM left too much for the fans to use as their own ideas. After season 3, the staff couldn't do anything without first checking if the idea wouldn't conflict with fans ideas, or the fans might go legal.

If FIM had covered everything from world to characters from the beginning, the fans wouldn't have been able to claim any ideas for themselves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.