Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is There Any Chance of a Blu-Ray Box-set ?

Rainy Daze

Just wondering if there's any confirmed plans for a complete series blu-ray set for FiM.

I'm not very serious when it comes to collecting merch but I am very determined to own all of a show if I can. I have all of the season box-sets available in my country but I've read that they may not finish producing DVDs for the remainder of the series. I understand that there might not be a blu-ray set for all of FiM considering few cartoons get full home media releases, but since they've already done it for so many of the seasons and the show is finished I find it weird that they haven't done this yet. 

I'm also especially hopeful for a blu-ray set due to the poor quality of the DVDs after season 2, at least in the UK. 

• Brohoof 1

LOL I just read the title of this tread in a very wrong way :ButtercupLaugh: My subconscious mind swapped the final letters in the last two words and I was like WTF? :DOnly after reading the post I realized my mistake. What's wrong with me? :crackle:

As for the actual subject, though:
I used to collect CDs and DVDs in the past (music, movies, data etc.), until I discovered after a couple of years that the discs became unreadable in any of the CD/DVD devices I got :q  Especially those DVD-R/RW ones – they use very crappy surface medium that decomposes with time and becomes unreadable despite the fact that it is sealed inside the plastic ;P
(inb4:  no, it's not about broken optics, I tried different devices and still the same problem)

Also CD/DVD drives become more and more unpopular these days. Most laptops don't have DVD drives anymore, PCs rarely have them too. There are external drives but they're quite expensive, not to mention dedicated DVD players for home video. The storage capacity of DVDs, and even Blu-Rays, becomes too constraining as well, especially for 4K quality videos. Therefore I don't think that DVD is still a good and reliable mass storage technology these days. I rather look forward for some new storage technology that will still be readable after, let's say, 15 years from now, but I don't see any, so as of yet I use just regular USB hard disks and MicroSD cards – they're pretty reliable for read-only storage (only overwriting them too frequently may wear them off with time), and they take much less space. (Heck, I could fit my entire collection of movies in a match box! Before that they took an entire shelf of DVDs.) So I wonder why isn't this medium more popular for movies, music and stuff? :q  There are card slots in pretty much everything these days, and even if there aren't, USB card readers are cheap as chips.

So as for FiM, I already have my entire collection from Yay!Ponies on an external USB flash drive that fits in my pocket. They're pretty good quality (which for vector graphics and cartoons isn't that much important anyway), with 5.1 sound. I don't have to sit through title screens and commercials every time I watch it (that's one of the things that drives me crazy with those commercial DVDs: I bought it already! I don't want your advertising and anti-piracy commercials! :eww: – that's one of the reasons, very important one, why I don't buy DVDs anymore: those "pirates" treat me better for free than a company that expects my money ;q  I can support the creators in a different way, more direct.) And I can manipulate the video much easier, which wouldn't be that easy with a DVD (they're usually copy-protected). For example, I can switch audio tracks or turn the subtitles on/off, I can supply my own subtitles with better translation, I can play frame-by-frame, skip to any moment, make bookmarks... all sorts of stuff DVD players can't do.

So nope, DVDs are not for me anymore :q

But if they offered an entire collection on a bunch of MicroSD cards, with no commercials, no interruptions, no anti-piracy crap, no copy protections, and in some standard open video format, then I would gladly buy it.

Separate releases or bust. Sounds too expensive especially for My Little Pony

Also there's no way in hell I'm putting any sort of money towards S9

45 minutes ago, SasQ said:

LOL I just read the title of this tread in a very wrong way :ButtercupLaugh: My subconscious mind swapped the final letters in the last two words and I was like WTF? :DOnly after reading the post I realized my mistake. What's wrong with me? :crackle:

As for the actual subject, though:
I used to collect CDs and DVDs in the past (music, movies, data etc.), until I discovered after a couple of years that the discs became unreadable in any of the CD/DVD devices I got :q  Especially those DVD-R/RW ones – they use very crappy surface medium that decomposes with time and becomes unreadable despite the fact that it is sealed inside the plastic ;P
(inb4:  no, it's not about broken optics, I tried different devices and still the same problem)

Also CD/DVD drives become more and more unpopular these days. Most laptops don't have DVD drives anymore, PCs rarely have them too. There are external drives but they're quite expensive, not to mention dedicated DVD players for home video. The storage capacity of DVDs, and even Blu-Rays, becomes too constraining as well, especially for 4K quality videos. Therefore I don't think that DVD is still a good and reliable mass storage technology these days. I rather look forward for some new storage technology that will still be readable after, let's say, 15 years from now, but I don't see any, so as of yet I use just regular USB hard disks and MicroSD cards – they're pretty reliable for read-only storage (only overwriting them too frequently may wear them off with time), and they take much less space. (Heck, I could fit my entire collection of movies in a match box! Before that they took an entire shelf of DVDs.) So I wonder why isn't this medium more popular for movies, music and stuff? :q  There are card slots in pretty much everything these days, and even if there aren't, USB card readers are cheap as chips.

So as for FiM, I already have my entire collection from Yay!Ponies on an external USB flash drive that fits in my pocket. They're pretty good quality (which for vector graphics and cartoons isn't that much important anyway), with 5.1 sound. I don't have to sit through title screens and commercials every time I watch it (that's one of the things that drives me crazy with those commercial DVDs: I bought it already! I don't want your advertising and anti-piracy commercials! :eww: – that's one of the reasons, very important one, why I don't buy DVDs anymore: those "pirates" treat me better for free than a company that expects my money ;q  I can support the creators in a different way, more direct.) And I can manipulate the video much easier, which wouldn't be that easy with a DVD (they're usually copy-protected). For example, I can switch audio tracks or turn the subtitles on/off, I can supply my own subtitles with better translation, I can play frame-by-frame, skip to any moment, make bookmarks... all sorts of stuff DVD players can't do.

So nope, DVDs are not for me anymore :q

But if they offered an entire collection on a bunch of MicroSD cards, with no commercials, no interruptions, no anti-piracy crap, no copy protections, and in some standard open video format, then I would gladly buy it.

I'm glad you realised your mistake soon enough! :mlp_laugh: I'm gonna have to check out Yay!Ponies given two year delay on a new release for home media. I'm still very much in my collecting and revering physical media phase, maybe one day I'll grow out of it but for now I still want as much physical media as possible :coco:

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Megas said:

Separate releases or bust. Sounds too expensive especially for My Little Pony

Also there's no way in hell I'm putting any sort of money towards S9

Even when I don't like something I still want to have all of it, heck a good chunk of my media collection is stuff I've bought ironically or because it just looks so bad. Personally my least favourite season was probably seven just for its ending but there were still episodes I liked a lot so I'm glad I have it. It could also go either way when it comes to price. I wouldn't sneer too much at something like £49.99 when first released since it is hundreds of hours of content but they might make a limited run of units and have the price closer to £99.99 which I just wouldn't be comfortable with. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Rainy Day said:

Even when I don't like something I still want to have all of it, heck a good chunk of my media collection is stuff I've bought ironically or because it just looks so bad. Personally my least favourite season was probably seven just for its ending but there were still episodes I liked a lot so I'm glad I have it. It could also go either way when it comes to price. I wouldn't sneer too much at something like £49.99 when first released since it is hundreds of hours of content but they might make a limited run of units and have the price closer to £99.99 which I just wouldn't be comfortable with. 

I don't know any show that bundles over 5 seasons into one package. That's why you see a ton of "THE COMPLETE SERIES" sets of shows consisting of at the most 4-5 seasons unless those seasons are incredibly short especially in regards to blu ray, which they can go for $40-60. With FiM you're looking at 9 seasons, 200+ episodes of one show plus a movie and a couple of specials.

8 minutes ago, Sherbie-kun <3 said:

I mean if you have a region free Blu-ray you can buy American box sets which I would suspect are complete now 

I've looked around and there don't seem to be any </3 I've done that before with some box sets recently though so I will keep a look out!

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Rainy Day said:

I've looked around and there don't seem to be any </3 I've done that before with some box sets recently though so I will keep a look out!

hopefully there will be dvd ones (cause I prefer my dvd recorder, or my ps2 for watching things on) and hopefully there will be ones released in the UK (I've got the original)

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, Megas said:

I don't know any show that bundles over 5 seasons into one package. That's why you see a ton of "THE COMPLETE SERIES" sets of shows consisting of at the most 4-5 seasons unless those seasons are incredibly short especially in regards to blu ray, which they can go for $40-60. With FiM you're looking at 9 seasons, 200+ episodes of one show plus a movie and a couple of specials.

You're right I didn't consider the scope of what the product would be :sealed:. I mean there are some major box sets out there but I do know that the Adventure Time complete sets were split up this way. I doubt they would put the movie in there but I would hope the specials and extra content would make it. For example my Daria box set had all four specials along with the rest of the show. 

• Brohoof 1

@SasQ is the quality if a ripped file as good as Dolby or DTS? Saying a pirate treats you better is no justification. The don't create anything. There are a lot of people who make the show happen that you aren't supporting. Also, kind of related, I am against streaming because they can remove shows. I like having physical possession of my stuff, whethet CD, DVD, HDDVD, Bluray, or memory stick. I like digital content in disc.

Last time I checked when I come to regular DVDs, I know all the seasons up to season 7 is available. so I'm still not sure if she's an 8 or season 9 will it physically be made into DVDs so I can legally buy them. Until then I still have Netflix (seasons 1-8) and Hulu (season 9) to show the episodes. and frankly I find instant stream media makes it much easier to jump between episodes, especially when you're trying to watch them in chronological order or focus on certain characters.

And other TV shows like ABC'S Once upon a time, they had all their seasons uploaded onto Blu-ray one season in each box with all the episodes spread over several discs in each Season set

and a handful of them have some commentary attached to their episodes. they usually reserve most of the bonus stuff on the last disc if there's space

• Brohoof 1

I really wish more PCs had disc slots. It's not at all fair to people like myself who still use DVDs. :worry:

If an MLP Blu-Ray was released, I would buy it in a heartbeat. :D How cool would it be to see my pony friends in HD like the movie! :wub:

Edited by TomDaBombMLP
  • Brohoof 2

52 minutes ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

I really wish more PCs had disc slots. It's not at all fair to people like myself who still use DVDs. :worry:

If an MLP Blu-Ray was released, I would buy it in a heartbeat. :D How cool would it be to see my pony friends in HD like the movie! :wub:

My laptop thankfully has a disc drive which I've used to convert a couple of films from DVD, however with a free programme and a five year old computer it takes hours to do so :worry:. So I haven't been able to really put a dent in digitising my collection :Cozy:

• Brohoof 1